Gransnet forums

Health

Skinny teens

(28 Posts)
Gingster Thu 26-Dec-19 21:45:20

Mt 13 yr old twin grandsons are growing taller every time I see them, but they are all skin and bones. They eat all the time and are very active but I can’t help but worry. Should I be worried?

Parklife1 Sat 28-Dec-19 12:12:46

My grandson is exactly like his father was at his age. Thin as a rake. Now his dad has to be careful what he eats and take exercise, to avoid the spread round the middle.

willa45 Fri 27-Dec-19 17:11:11

Likewise, my 16 year old grandson is a 'rail'. He's 6 ft. tall and 6" wide (just kidding). This Christmas, we got him a Denim jacket, men size Small. When he tried it on, it even fit him a lot more generously than we thought.

GreenGran78 Fri 27-Dec-19 14:36:10

I remember my brother going to do his National Service, and being sent on a special ‘weight gaining course. He was 5’9” and weighed just 8 1/2 stone. My mum used to say that he had ribs like a xylophone!
He had a very hearty appetite, and the course did nothing to put weight on him, despite their best efforts. He did fill out a bit by the time he finished his time in the army, but was still skinny.
Sadly, he died in an accident when only 24, so we never knew if he would have gained weight in later life.

eilyann Fri 27-Dec-19 14:33:34

*Grannytotwins] My 19 yr old DGS 6'2 and sideways would be marked as absent, but fit as a flea and wants to join the services but told his BMI was too low! Does all sorts of sports especially climbing but the rules they have seem to be writ in stone! Some of the biggest fittest men I have ever met were Welsh Rugby players who were told their BMI was too high! Crazy?

grandtanteJE65 Fri 27-Dec-19 12:36:15

Most teenagers, especially boys can eat like horses and never seem to gain weight. They are still growing, so just keep on providing healthy food.

Dublin29 Fri 27-Dec-19 12:08:41

@JenniferEccles totally disagree with that. Why is it that so many people equate “skinnyness” with health & the opposite with fatter people? ? I’ve known a fair few skinny/thin people, some who smoked also & many of them have been unhealthy. Last one I have experience of was a smoker & castigated people about too much sugar. She ended up last winter having major cancer in her stomach, (lot of it spread) didn’t seek treatment early. She then had huge amount of surgery in one go & had a stoma bag. Yet many would have she looked ok, because she was slim??

Patticake123 Fri 27-Dec-19 11:31:04

If they are eating and have lots of energy there is nothing to worry about. The men in our family are similar, they all eat like horses and remain slim whilst the women put on weight just looking at the food! Life can be so unfair.......?

sandelf Fri 27-Dec-19 11:21:36

Married to one. Photos of him at 13 - all arm and leg. Always has shown up as 'underweight' on those tables of weight for height. - But look at photos of folk years ago. Nobody fat by today's standards. So long as they have energy I wouldn't worry about weight. Keep an eye that they don't live entirely on rubbish (these thinnies can but not good for long term health).

grannytotwins Fri 27-Dec-19 11:05:56

My grandson is super fit and skinny. He has to gain half a stone to join the navy. It’s a real struggle. He eats like a horse but is doing a very physical full time job while waiting to pass his medical because he is 7lbs below the threshold. My son was emaciated looking and ate constantly. At 42 he’s no longer thin!

jaylucy Fri 27-Dec-19 11:00:12

My son was just the same in his teens - boys in particular shoot up several inches at a time, it seems and they also never stop eating!
If you could see photos of teens from your era, I would guess that you would see the same thing!

micky987 Fri 27-Dec-19 10:59:52

My 15 y son is 6’5” tall and fluctuates between 9st 7 and 10st 7. Matchsticks for legs. Always on the go but only eats when you remind him to eat as he doesn’t have much of an appetite. Doesn’t have a favourite food as flavours don’t really stand out to him. My dad was the same. I make sure he takes daily vitamins even though he eats everything he’s fed at meal times.

Saggi Fri 27-Dec-19 10:34:43

My grandson is nearly 13 .... eats like a horse .... and is so skinny ...but last year he’s taken up boxing...and the muscle is beginning to define itself. He also plays rugby ..that helps as well!

shysal Fri 27-Dec-19 10:01:22

DD2's oldest son has always been painfully thin and a picky eater, wearing baggy clothes to disguise the fact. When I visited on Christmas day I was pleased to note (but said nothing) that, at age 20, he now has a broader chest and filled his close fitting jumper and skinny jeans. I think joining a gym has helped.
His youngest brother is 16 and has always been thin, so hope he fills out too when he matures. The middle boy, 18, has an entirely different build and has to eat less than the others to maintain a healthy weight.
Gingster, I am sure your GSs will be fine.

BlueSky Fri 27-Dec-19 09:39:56

My DH and DS were skinny as teenagers and now my grandsons are the same. But their dad and granddad have made up for it since! So if they are well and have a good diet I wouldn't worry.

Hithere Fri 27-Dec-19 09:15:47

You are already worried about your grandsons that why you asked this question to see if anybody else validated your feelings.

I hope you do not mention anything to their parents or the grandsons.
This society puts too much importance in looks and teenagers do not need to be pushed to eating disorders.

grannypiper Fri 27-Dec-19 08:59:31

My DSS is over 6ft but weighs exactly 9st his legs are like pipe cleaners but he eats loads. My Granny always said you cant grow up and out at the same time

JuliaM Fri 27-Dec-19 08:59:28

Both my eldest Grandsons are over 6ft tall, one is 23, the other 16, but both are super slim and each weights in at around 10st.
I’m not worried about them as their Dad was just the same build until he turned 30, yet they all eat massive amounts of food, ad tend to snack on sweets and chocolate between meals.
They are very active boys, the youngest is at agricultural College, which involves quite a bit of heavy manual work, the eldest works for an agency, doing anything from factory production lines to construction work, whatever is available at the time, but also trained in the motor industry on leaving school as an apprentice, all heavy calorie burning work, which probably contributes to the reason of why they remain so slim.

Witzend Fri 27-Dec-19 08:50:08

Personally I'd be a lot more worried if they were porkers, glued non stop to phones or computer games!

If they're very active and eating well, surely no need to fret at all.

Iam64 Fri 27-Dec-19 08:27:50

Skinny and eating well but active sounds ideal. You wouldn't want them to be over weight at that age.

Calendargirl Fri 27-Dec-19 07:56:23

Don’t worry about it! My DS was a skinny child, now at 43 I wish he could shift the odd stone! Too much sitting driving about for his work, snatched meals, not enough exercise, enjoys the ‘odd’ glass of wine and beer. His 14 year old son is nearly 6 foot tall, like a rake, but when DIL comments. I say, ‘His dad was like that at his age’.

Gingster Fri 27-Dec-19 07:30:44

Yes I was hoping you would all say not to worry. When I give them a hug I just feel bones. Hopefully they’ll start to fill out a bit as they get older.

ladymuck Fri 27-Dec-19 07:14:08

No need to worry. Some people are naturally thin. My daughter always ate as much as her father and never put on an ounce. She's in her fifties now and still the same!

JenniferEccles Thu 26-Dec-19 22:56:56

You would have far more cause for concern if they were very overweight like so many children and teens we see everywhere these days.

M0nica Thu 26-Dec-19 22:30:03

DGS, only 9, looks like a skinned rabbit. Just like his grandfather.

Doodle Thu 26-Dec-19 21:49:22

No.
If they eat and are active they will be thin. Mine eats loads but has not an ounce of fat on him.