Gransnet forums

Health

Who’s bought a thermometer?

(67 Posts)
Doodle Tue 17-Mar-20 19:24:38

DH and I are taking our temperature morning and night so we know what our baseline is. I know you can have CV without a fever but we thought it was a good starting point.

LullyDully Tue 17-Mar-20 19:33:40

Just one question. Where? None in my town !!!!!

MawB Tue 17-Mar-20 19:35:58

I’ve had an ear thermometer for some years because of Paw - his reaction to any fever was “rigors”, uncontrollable shaking, so the old type of ? thermometer was not only inaccurate but dangerous.
Glad I did. It is almost instantaneous and so easy to use. The forehead sort is even easier.

SirChenjin Tue 17-Mar-20 19:49:40

I bought an ear one at the chemist a few days ago and also got a couple on Amazon as backup

Doodle Tue 17-Mar-20 19:54:38

Amazon have some ( not cheap).
We have had ours for a while and I find it comforting to check our temperature especially DH with all his health problems.

Kittye Tue 17-Mar-20 19:55:29

Can’t get one for love nor money. I’m afraid we underestimated this virus. Eventually got toilet rolls and some paracetamol today. Bit miffed with my other half as he kept saying it was all a fuss about nothing ?

HurdyGurdy Tue 17-Mar-20 19:59:56

I bought an in-ear one years ago when swine flu was around (I was being treated for it, but it in fact turned out to be a rare form of anaemia!), but ended up giving to to my daughter so she had one for my granddaughter.

My husband has just bought us an infra-red forehead scanning thermometer from Amazon. It can also be used in-ear. It seems accurate, although I must admit I've not used it all that much yet.

merlotgran Tue 17-Mar-20 20:02:57

We've had an ear thermometer for two years - same reason as Maw. DD asked me to send her the Amazon link so she could get one. Only the really expensive ones are available now. angry

Maggiemaybe Tue 17-Mar-20 20:03:51

Good idea, I'll see if our pharmacy have any. I've just looked online hoping to add to one to next week's Tesco order and they only have them left in the baking section. Don't fancy sticking one of those in my leg. grin

endlessstrife Tue 17-Mar-20 20:04:24

Yes, my husband and I take our temperatures. Have always had a thermometer. Being a nurse I think. Used it on the children many times.

NotSpaghetti Tue 17-Mar-20 20:18:26

We have one.... somewhere ?

NotSpaghetti Tue 17-Mar-20 20:20:15

It belonged to my grandfather and has hardly ever been used. I think it might be in one of the boxes I've yet to unpack from our last move, many moons ago....

Diggingdoris Tue 17-Mar-20 20:30:01

I've got an old mercury one, but not sure how accurate it is.

SueDonim Tue 17-Mar-20 20:44:45

I’ve had a digital one for years. It conked out last year so I had to replace it. I need to get a replacement battery, just in case.

Greeneyedgirl Tue 17-Mar-20 20:50:10

I have an old one somewhere but I don't think it's necessary to keep taking your temperature unless you feel ill. This is going to go on for several months.

Calendargirl Tue 17-Mar-20 22:17:07

Never possessed one. Just used to feel the children’s’ foreheads to see if ‘they had a temperature’, same as my mum did for us. Hopeless way of going on I realise now.

lemongrove Tue 17-Mar-20 22:22:52

Yes, we have just bought one online, an expensive ear one.
However it’s a bit discombobulating when sipping my morning tea, having it shoved in my ear because ‘him indoors’ seems to enjoy playing about with this new toy.

V3ra Tue 17-Mar-20 22:46:02

I've got a Braun digital forehead thermometer. The display changes colour from green to amber to red as the temperature rises. The children love it!
We're checking everyone's temperature as they arrive in the morning, plus our own, for any signs of fever.
It's entertaining the children and reassuring their parents.

Doodle Tue 17-Mar-20 22:50:31

lemon grin.
As DH has numerous health problems I like to check to see what his normal temperature is.

rubysong Tue 17-Mar-20 23:18:09

We found we had a yogurt making thermometer, which had no numbers on. We checked our temperatures (normal) which were about a quarter of an inch below the lower mark. However DH brought a smart digital thermometer back when he did the week's shop. He got it in Tesco, I think in the baby department. It's reassuring to know we are ok.

grannyactivist Tue 17-Mar-20 23:25:58

I still have a trusty stone age type thermometer that I use when I'm supposed to monitor my temperature at home, but some time last year I bought a new-fangled one for ear/forehead that sat forgotten until a couple of days ago when I was tidying the first-aid drawer and came across it. Honestly, by the time I'd figured out how to use it I think I was ready to blow a gasket. I've got it sussed now, but what a palaver it was.

Lavazza1st Tue 17-Mar-20 23:32:39

I bought one because I could not find one and then I found two and now we have three grin
One of them is an under tongue one which my son says looks like the rectal thermometer the vet used on our cat grin
One is a baby forehead thermometer and the newest one is a digital thing you stick in your ear.

JuliaM Tue 17-Mar-20 23:47:29

I have got a few of the old Mercury type of thermometers aquired via various issues of basic kit from my nursing agency days. They are simple and acurate to use, and completely steralizeable in Dettol.

There is a knack in shaking the Mercury back into the bulb tip after use, but l much prefare them to any of the electronic ones l have tried.

Namsnanny Tue 17-Mar-20 23:53:02

A bit like you Lavazza1st Had one lost it. Bought 4 (for family members) from ebay. They have yet to materialise, so who knows?
The original turned up.

All pharmacies I've visited have none.

B9exchange Tue 17-Mar-20 23:55:47

Take care you don't become a bit obsessive over this, if you are running a high fever, you will know without needing a thermometer. I'd put them away unless you are feeling really ill, when useful to measure degree of fever if requested.