Gransnet forums

Health

Cystitis not clearing up Very emotional and fed up.

(32 Posts)
Farmor15 Thu 22-Oct-20 12:20:54

As a retired microbiologist, I would ask for a urine sample to be tested to find what bacteria is causing infection and then it can be targeted with a suitable antibiotic, as Sparklefizz suggests. You certainly shouldn't have to continue to suffer, so persist with doc.

MayBee70 Thu 22-Oct-20 12:11:57

I do sympathise: cystitis is awful.....

MayBee70 Thu 22-Oct-20 12:09:37

I had several bouts of cystitis when I was suffering from undiagnosed (at the time) vaginal atrophy. It might be worth using something eg Replens for a while to see if that helps. It’s a shame the d Mannose hasn’t helped because it’s a life changer for many people. Could you try taking it on a regular basis, not just when you have a flare up?

Sparklefizz Thu 22-Oct-20 12:02:44

Hi JJoo I am so sorry to hear about your problems and know how painful cystitis can be.

Have you actually had a urine test to see which antibiotic is best for your specific bacteria? When I last had a problem, I was prescribed a routine antibiotic which did nothing, then a 2nd course of the same one, which also did nothing.

Eventually I saw a different GP who sent off a sample, and it turned out that the cystitis was being caused by E.Coli, and I needed a different antibiotic to specifically deal with E.Coli. I had been suffering for weeks before a doctor did a proper check. I know you have been suffering for much longer.

Now I keep D.Mannose tablets in the house and at the slightest twinge I take some.

Cranberry juice was always supposed to help but I believe that theory has since been disproven. It is also quite acidic which possibly doesn't help. You need to make your urine alkaline, so Bicarbonate of Soda mixed in water and drunk several times a day will help, and drink as much water as you can manage.

I hope you can get something sorted out. flowers for you.

Fennel Thu 22-Oct-20 12:02:11

Are you still menstruating regularly? Could be early menopause but if so Your doctor would have noted it.
I struggled with cystitis too for years, I had a sensitive urinary system since childhood.

MacCavity2 Thu 22-Oct-20 11:55:41

Oh you poor thing. I just couldn’t ignore your post. Having gone through this hell mine was caused by kidney stones which they assured me would make no difference if removed. I paid to go private, had stones removed. Cystitis gone. Hope you fine a cure.

JJoo Thu 22-Oct-20 10:49:09

Hi I'm new to this forum. Can anyone please please help? I have been suffering with cystitis on and off since I was 21 (Now 39). Antibiotics did help however (they even put me on a months course (that did not help), the doctor has now said that they can not give me more in case I become resistant to it. So I tried D manose, things over the counter and pharmacist nothing works. The diet thing did work (cut out all acidic food including tea/coffee alcohol) I do drink cranberry juice. However, since March this year, it has not cleared up. I wipe from front to back, pee after intercourse although we don't do it anymore and it's putting a strain on our relationship. I'm stinging all the time. Paracetamol and ibuprofen does help a little but it then comes back after 4hrs. I've had countless of urine tests all negative they even stretched my bladder and had a look. They couldn't see anything. I'm so miserable as I have no life and 'm so fed up now. The doctor says I'm doing everything right. I want to eat things and go out to restaurants basically have a life. Please if you've tried anything that helps I be most grateful to try anything even just cut out my urethra and I'll pee in a bag ( I don't mean a catheter bag). sad