Gransnet forums

Health

I’ve lost my sister

(69 Posts)
Smurf52 Mon 04-Oct-21 15:58:16

Two nights ago my younger sister passed away in her sleep aged 66. She had hypersensitivity pneumonitis, a lung condition. The likely cause was the sanding down of the original wood flooring of their Edwardian house many years ago. In those days they used formaldehyde and other substances to lay them.

Sadly she was refused a lung transplant due to her age. She was a very fit and vivacious person who did yoga etc and didn’t look her age (see pic taken last year before she had breathing difficulties and had to be on oxygen. She used to volunteer in South America to aid stranded turtles to get back to their natural habitat amongst other things.

I know they have to have a cut off age as there are children and younger people needing transplants but she wasn’t a little old lady near the end of her time, far from it. She had a lot more life to live. I wish they could have just seen her as a person and not her age. Excuse my rant but she was a dearly loved sister.

Scaredycat Mon 04-Oct-21 18:42:34

I am so sorry you have lost your beautiful sister- my thoughts are with you

M0nica Mon 04-Oct-21 18:40:48

*Smurf, my deepest condolences, I, too have lost a sister, and one feels so alone. Everyone is full of sympathy for bereaved parents or a spouse, but everyone forgets how devastating such a loss is to the sisters of the deceased

You sister looked such a lovely lively lady.

dragonfly46 Mon 04-Oct-21 18:09:31

My sincere condolences on the loss of your beautiful sister.

BlueSapphire Mon 04-Oct-21 18:04:11

So very sorry for the loss of your beautiful sister. flowersflowers

muse Mon 04-Oct-21 18:01:09

So sorry for your loss Smurf. That is a beautiful photograph of your lovely sister.?

BlueSky Mon 04-Oct-21 17:56:37

So sorry to hear. Life can be cruel. Sending hugs. flowers

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 04-Oct-21 17:31:53

What a beautiful lady. I’m so very sorry Smurf. As an only child I can only imagine how wonderful it must have been to have a sister. That wasn’t a rant at all. It’s so unfair that your lovely sister was unable to have a transplant to give her many more years. Thinking of you. x

Smileless2012 Mon 04-Oct-21 17:22:41

I'm so very sorry for your loss Smurfflowers

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 04-Oct-21 17:19:12

My condolences. flowers

toscalily Mon 04-Oct-21 17:17:48

So sorry for your loss, condolences to you and your family.

Dottygran59 Mon 04-Oct-21 17:12:46

Oh Smurf I'm so very sorry. She was indeed very beautiful and sounds like she was a wonderful person. There are no words, I can't even begin to imagine your pain, just know that you are in my thoughts

nanaK54 Mon 04-Oct-21 17:09:43

Please accept my sincere condolences. Sending kindest thoughts to you and your family flowers

Grandmabatty Mon 04-Oct-21 17:07:01

I am so sorry for your loss. Your sister looks like an amazing woman and has died before her time. Condolences.

sodapop Mon 04-Oct-21 17:05:11

So sorry Smurf your sister sounds and looks like a lovely lady. flowers

grannyrebel7 Mon 04-Oct-21 17:04:20

How very sad - she looked like a lovely person.

hulahoop Mon 04-Oct-21 16:59:57

Sorry for your loss I have lost sisters too ,virtual hugs being sent your way.?

Visgir1 Mon 04-Oct-21 16:56:30

So sorry to hear this, my condolences to you and your family such a Beautiful lady.
I too have a lovely friend who has the the same, they aren't sure how she picked this up?
Been very poorly and only just home from hospital. Interesting about the floor. Until recently I had never heard of it, she too has been told doubtful about Lung Transplant.

Callistemon Mon 04-Oct-21 16:54:58

Condolences to you and the family, Smurf
Your sister looks lovely and was obviously a vibrant and caring person.
flowers

Jeanie I am so sorry flowers

TillyTrotter Mon 04-Oct-21 16:53:32

So sorry for the premature loss of your beautiful, vivacious sister Smurf52. ?

silverlining48 Mon 04-Oct-21 16:49:11

Smurf am sending condolences and a hug. I understand why you are so upset , your sister looks so well in the photo, what a dreadful shock.
We have done the same with our Edwardian flooring. Had no idea formaldehyde was used in those days.

lavenderzen Mon 04-Oct-21 16:46:04

So sorry to read this Smurf. Sending hugs and flowers.

Sparklefizz Mon 04-Oct-21 16:44:03

Jeanio My thoughts are with you. flowers

Sparklefizz Mon 04-Oct-21 16:43:30

I'm so sorry Smurf, for the loss of your beautiful sister. Life isn't fair, is it, and so painful. flowers

Grammaretto Mon 04-Oct-21 16:42:29

That is so sad Smurf you must feel it terribly. What a beautiful person and so full of life.
I know how you feel about the cruel age cutoff too.
Hugs for you and for Jeanio.

Cherrytree59 Mon 04-Oct-21 16:39:41

I am so sorry my condolences to you and your family.thanks

You had lovely sister Smurf

I understand your 'rant' although I think you were quite rightly just expressing your feelings.