Gransnet forums

Health

Has anyone come off or cut down Omaprazole, what’s your experiences.

(138 Posts)
Itsnell Tue 30-Nov-21 19:59:24

Hello. Has anyone cut out or reduced omeprazole? Why did you come off or reduce them? How did you feel and how long did it take you? What do you take now for acid reflux.

I’ve been on 20 mg daily omaprazole for acid reflux and a hiatus hernia since mid 2019. The pandemic has meant I’ve continued to get repeat prescriptions and haven’t had a medication review with my GP during this time, however,
I’m thinking I should try to cut them down or cut out altogether as I’m getting all sorts of symptoms which could be side effects of long term use of omeprazole (PPI) use eg nausea and stomach cramps, my IBS is worse, leg cramps and restless legs twitches. I’ve read reports of the long term effects of PPIs and it’s concerning. Ok I know you need to weigh up the benefits of taking ppis against the non benefits.
Look forward to hearing your stories

montymops Sat 11-Dec-21 15:28:53

I have been told that I must take omeprazole for the rest of my life - due to Barratts oesophagus- and a hiatus hernia- I haven’t noticed any side effects actually and have been on it now for about 5 years.

Gherkin Sat 11-Dec-21 15:17:11

PPI medication is known to deplete vitamin B12 so some symptoms some of you are experiencing could be related to that. I have very severe stomach problems and have been prescribed omeprazole which helps my other medication work but I also have pernicious anaemia through B12 deficiency so try not to take omeprazole every day. But it’s a catch22 situation for me. I would recommend having a test for B12 if having odd symptoms. Injections are recommended for life if B12 is low.

polnan Sat 11-Dec-21 15:02:21

Sachamac... my mum , similarly had stomach ulcers which needed a major op.

so I think I may try to cut down on my night time Omeprazole. cos I know if I miss my morning one, I feel it before midday.

GrauntyHelen Sat 11-Dec-21 15:01:00

I have acid reflux and a hiatus hernia been taking maximum dose omeprazole for 20 years without it I choke at every meal

MissAdventure Sat 11-Dec-21 14:45:37

I know well that my symptoms are much better if I follow a very bland diet.
I don't want to, though!

SachaMac Sat 11-Dec-21 14:43:51

Ps it’s interesting hearing how a change of diet helps some. I tried a Keto diet in the spring just to try and lose a few lockdown lbs, a side effect of this was my stomach issues improved and I felt much better. I just couldn’t stick to very low carb eating long term but it’s probably worth another try.

MissAdventure Sat 11-Dec-21 14:36:34

I was going to ask where is proof that doctors are knowingly giving a medication known to cause dementia?
I would also say that drinking lemon juice and other things is not really a good idea without input from your doctor.
Plus, acid indigestion is proven to increase the chance of throat cancer.

Romola Sat 11-Dec-21 14:32:49

My husband has been taking Lansaprazole for 10 years after the huge operation for oesophageal cancer. (Rare to survive 10 years.) He's 86 now and there are no signs of dementia. So there!

SachaMac Sat 11-Dec-21 14:28:02

I have also been on this medication for many years. I did have a spell when I came off it after hearing scare stories. I ended up feeling terrible, awful chest pain and a hoarse voice. I was sent to see an ENT consultant who said I MUST continue with the Omeprazole, he doubled the dose and also advised me to take Gaviscon as well as the acid reflux was damaging my throat. My mother has been on it for over 20 years for acid reflux/hiatus hernia, her mother had perforated ulcers and my aunt had stomach cancer in her 50’s so stomach issues run in the family. I do worry about side effects but the medical advice was to carry on taking it to avoid the serious consequences of continually producing too much acid.

Ellie Anne Sat 11-Dec-21 14:17:39

This is interesting. I’ve been on it for years because of hiatus hernia. If I miss a dose I have terrible heartburn. Not aware of any side effects but am wondering if I should try to come if it.

Gardner Sat 11-Dec-21 14:05:52

Forgot the worst culprit
Onions

Gardner Sat 11-Dec-21 14:01:39

After suffering from SEVERE reflux for years,endoscopy etc.
My GP told me to stop using
ranitidine which I was prescribed after Omeprazole.

I took the decision to do some research on changing my diet .
Fingers crossed had 3 years without any major issues,even put the bed head down off blocks !
I don’t eat after 4.30/5pm ever.
None of the following
coffee
Tomatoes
Wine
Fizz of any description
Cut back on high fat food

Use Oat biscuits to nibble
Went gluten free ,best thing I’ve done .Can bake and cook most things now .
To avoid having reflux hasn't been easy but for me it’s worked.
All our family celebrations (pre covid) are at lunchtime.
Always have good old Gaviscon in the cupboard ,just in case .

Kryptonite Sat 11-Dec-21 13:36:58

I came off these wonderful tablets after chemo. That was about 3 years ago or more and I haven't really had an indigestion problem since then. They were a great help to me.

Silvertwigs Sat 11-Dec-21 13:36:21

@ Itsnell, I have come off of them as I just couldn’t take the reflux any more. Sliding HH is genetic and decided to have it repaired £650 in Istanbul in May this year. I feel wonderful and the care was superb.

Purplepixie Sat 11-Dec-21 13:29:10

I’ve been taking them the past month and now I am worried at the reports about them and dementia. I get fierce heartburn and I think at this rate I will be coming off them and eating baby food! Fed up!

nj30 Sat 11-Dec-21 13:24:25

I have been on pantoprazole for over a decade. I too am concerned about long-term usage because of increased bone fractures. But I developed asthma as a result of not originally taking PPIs so went on them. I have tried cutting down the dosage very slowly over a period of time but ended up being hospitalised with atrial fibrillation (there is a link between GERD and atrial fibrillation). You will need to weigh up the pros and cons of taking a PPI based on your individual circumstances and discuss with your GP. Good luck.

nadateturbe Sat 11-Dec-21 13:01:54

Someone mentioned taking Buscopan. I just wanted to say you can't take it if you have glaucoma. It raises eye pressure.

Netty63 Sat 11-Dec-21 12:46:31

Hello there, I was diagnosed with a hiatus hernia then prescribed Omeprazole. I didn’t like taking it, so tried a different approach. I’ve found that by raising the bed (head end) by six inches and not lying on my right side has stopped night time reflux. Hope this may help night time sufferers.

Happysexagenarian Sat 11-Dec-21 12:40:58

I've been taking Omeprazole (20mg) for about 5 years, it was prescribed to protect my stomach from the Prednisalone steroids I take for Asthma. I never really had any problems with acid reflux, only occasionally, and that could be attributed to something I'd eaten. I sometimes get mild stomach cramps but I generally blame that on my IBS-D.

I haven't had a review of any of my medication for over two years, I just get repeat prescriptions. Prior to the pandemic I was told to very gradually reduce the Prednisalone dosage from 20mg, but I can't get below 15mg (even that doesn't work so well now) without becoming a 'puffing billy'!

Thisismyname1953 Sat 11-Dec-21 12:34:39

I’ve never had gastric problems but when I started taking brufen regularly my doctor prescribed me omeprazole. After a long time I stopped taking brufen so also stopped the omeprazole as I no longer needed it . To be honest I don’t think I needed it anyway .

Stella14 Sat 11-Dec-21 12:28:13

Lucca

I have a hiatus hernia and duodenitis and gastroenteritis and have started in omeprazole. About ten days now. No improvement . Have I understood correctly Shropshire lass that I should be drinking lemon juice in water ?

I found Omeprazole didn’t deal with my acid reflux at all, but Lansoprazole does. There are 3 or 4 PPIs and my Consultant told me that which one is best varies from person to person. Maybe have a chat with your GP and try a different one.

nipsmum Sat 11-Dec-21 12:23:23

I've taken Omeprazole since 2001 with as far as I know no I'll effects. I don't suffer from dementia I used to have restless leg s but that stopped as I got type 2 diabetes under control and was able to discontinue medication for that. I have regular medical checks and blood tests. Not all drugs suit everyone . Your GP will advise.

Wigtown Sat 11-Dec-21 12:10:50

ill effects!!

Wigtown Sat 11-Dec-21 12:10:01

I was on omerprazole one daily for about 3 years due to acid reflux mainly at night. Didn’t notice any side effects but did help with the reflux. Started to reduce dose gradually as I had read shouldn’t be on it so long. At same time decided to lose weight on a low carb diet. Have lost nearly two stone and come off tablets completely with no I’ll effects and no return of the reflux.

Chemtrail Sat 11-Dec-21 12:08:51

It's not something you want to be on longterm, it can cause heart problems. Also you need to get on magnesium tablets daily and have Epsom salt baths etc because it stops you absorbing, hence the cramps etc. You need to replace this because it affects memory and muscles