Gransnet forums

Health

Thyroid Cyst

(23 Posts)
mollie Tue 25-Feb-14 19:40:01

Today I had the fluid drained from a thyroid cyst. I was told that 'it had gone' although it might come back again but this evening I can still feel the same size lump. Has anyone else had one of these treated this way? Did it go flat immediately or does it take a while?

cathybee Tue 25-Feb-14 22:00:08

Hi molli

Try and google it or go on NHS website I am sure you will find answers that will help you.

Try not to worry about it, you can always call your Doctors and explain and they can tell you what you need to do smile

mollie Tue 25-Feb-14 22:29:57

Googling doesn't really help, but I've got a follow-up appointment in a few weeks so I'll report it then if necessary. Thanks Cathybee.

breeze Wed 26-Feb-14 09:05:40

Hi Mollie, I had mine drained in 2012. I didn't know I had a cyst there, and wondered why I had suffered some dizziness (it was pressing on my carotid) until I bled into it and it swelled to the size of an apple. They drained 65mls of fluid from it. It went down immediately. I would say, it was still a little bit swollen for a few weeks but only a little. I was told it could refill. This may have happened to you if it's gone back to the original size. They told me they would drain it a couple more times if it did refill, but if it persisted, then they would do surgery to remove it. I hope this is clear. If you have any questions please ask. I would suggest they may drain it again when you have your checkup. As you know, it's not a dreadful procedure, so nothing to worry about. I hope it gets the message and disappears! I don't know what symptoms led you to seek medical help. If they are presenting again, maybe bring your checkup forward. Very best of luck.

mollie Wed 26-Feb-14 09:36:31

Hi Breeze. I didn't have any symptoms other than a small swelling in my neck that grew to a larger swelling. The neck ached and that is the most noticeable change - no aching! But as soon as I got home I could feel there was still a large lump, maybe not quite as big but still noticeable despite 1.5 of those tubes being filled with fluid. They said come back in a month and meanwhile the drained fluid is being tested so I suppose I can just be patient for a bit longer. The web said that sometimes these cysts are part fluid and part harder tissue so maybe that's what I have. I wasn't sure if the effect would be like a deflated balloon or if it would take time for the tissue to resettle, that wasn't mentioned. I'm just baffled but am grateful for your reply. I hope yours doesn't return - the procedure isn't nasty but it's a nuisance!

breeze Wed 26-Feb-14 10:12:36

It doesn't sound like it's giving you any major problems, so I'm sure when you voice your concerns at your next checkup, they'll reassure you. I was told I have multi nodular disease. So I have a few of these cysts lurking, which may, or may not give me probs in the future, I was told. I just happened to bleed into one through heavy lifting, and it came up alarmingly, hence the draining procedure. It seems to make sense that if you still have a cyst there, albeit a 'deflated' one, you are still going to feel a little bit of a lump in the area. I hope your results come back clear (mine did). And I hope it doesn't need another drainage. Good luck.

breeze Wed 26-Feb-14 10:16:34

ps - another thing to bear in mind is, you've had a large needle put into your neck. So the small amount of trauma could also be giving a little bit of swelling but you are naturally thinking the cyst has refilled. That should subside in a few days, week at most I would guess. Then you'll have a better idea of whether the fluid has returned or not.

henetha Wed 26-Feb-14 10:21:44

Hi Mollie,
I've had a thyroid cyst for about 30 years. Back then they simply did a
small scan (I forget the name of them), and announced it was just a cyst. But over the years it grew bigger so I then had a needle biopsy done and the fluid was tested. They then said it was a tumour, but was
benign. I've spent years worrying that it might become malignant!
Right now it seems to be getting smaller, thankfully.
I was offered an operation to remove it but was told the operation was risky to the vocal chords, so I declined. I often wonder if I should have gone ahead and had it removed.
Good luck with yours and try not to worry.

mollie Wed 26-Feb-14 10:44:26

Thanks both. We're told to watch out for odd lumps and then we're told they're nothing to worry about, it's hard to know which to believe. As always I trip over scary stories everywhere. I'm not normally a worrier but sometimes things just hit a spot at the wrong moment don't they. smile

breeze Wed 26-Feb-14 10:50:05

I was also told to look out for odd lumps but I still married one!

Good luck Mollie. Hope all will be well at your checkup and with your results.

Take care.

Elegran Wed 26-Feb-14 11:04:15

Believe both, Mollie - the lump that DOES prove to be dangerous is the one that you looked at and thought, "Oh it's nothing. I'll just ignore it". The one out of the twenty (or whatever) that you dutifully trotted off down to the surgery with.

Pity the bad ones don't come with a flashing light saying, "See your GP at once!"

breeze Wed 26-Feb-14 11:15:18

Quite right Elegran. Never a good idea to ignore a lump but also good to keep perspective. Most lumps turn out to be benign. I've had both sorts, so I know you should never ignore for sure.

mollie Wed 26-Feb-14 11:23:41

By an awful coincidence, just as I heard I had a thyroid cyst I read that the late John Diamond was told his thyroid cyst was benign for two years and then it wasn't... I know this is an extreme case, not typical, but it's best to know I guess to stop us being dismissive.

But I'm not getting hysterical, honestly, and am grateful for all comments grin.

Elegran Wed 26-Feb-14 11:34:24

Just as I heard that my breast lump was cancerous (well, actually, the day I was to have it removed) Kylie Minogue went public with hers. At least that brought the subject out into the open and everyone wanted to talk about it.

breeze Wed 26-Feb-14 11:43:10

Mollie please try not to worry. Thyroid cancer is rare and thyroid cysts pretty common. I know you won't relax completely until your test results are back but don't read about the bad stuff or it will be a difficult month for you (assuming you will get your results at your checkup and not before).

Speaking as someone who has had cancer, the one piece of advice I can give you is, don't waste the life you have worrying about 'what if's' until they are real. And don't look up too much stuff online. You'll frighten yourself nuts.

Two people have spoken to this morning who have had the same experience as you and are chatting away to you about it, so try not to worry about the very rare unlucky ones.

And you're doing all the right things. You've got it looked at, dealt with, the swelling may go down anyway. So try and take your mind off it for now.

My heart goes out to you, as I know what you're going through and how worried you are.

breeze Wed 26-Feb-14 11:58:38

Sent you a PM elegran.

mollie Sun 09-Mar-14 16:30:45

An update, because I'm feeling sorry for myself so please bear with me... as you know I had the cyst (a fluid lump they said) drained and was told 'that's dealt with that'. Got home to find that the lump was still there, more defined and akin to the size and feel of a medium sized marble. With 1.5 phials of fluid removed my neck did feel more comfortable but that there was still a lump was disturbing. I was told 'the fluid might come back but might not'. Well, now it has and with it some extra discomfort and (new) some pain. One side of my neck is constantly aching and I feel so fed up and miserable - it's like having toothache all the time. I've got the follow up appointment brought forward and I've 10 days to wait which feels like 9 days too long right now. I know it could be worse. I'm sorry to moan - lots more worse off and all that - but I needed to so thank you...

TriciaF Sun 09-Mar-14 16:38:54

So sorry to hear that the problem has recurred. but probably if they thought it was something very urgent they would have given an earlier appt?
Sending healing thoughts and prayers that it should be a better outcome. x

mollie Sun 09-Mar-14 19:15:49

Thanks TrishaF, I'm turning into a bore about this but it was meant to be simple and it's nothing of the sort. [hmmm]

willing121 Wed 02-Jul-14 03:50:38

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Rowantree Wed 02-Jul-14 11:12:03

I'm puzzled -why was willing121 's comment deleted here and in another thread? hmm

harrigran Wed 02-Jul-14 11:18:08

I think the clue may be in the profile name.

Rowantree Wed 02-Jul-14 15:18:22

Duhhhhh....blush

I blame my medication wink