Gransnet forums

Health

Skin thinning - 'down below' - May Be 'too much information'

(57 Posts)
Coolgran65 Thu 08-Jan-15 06:57:46

For some time I have felt a bit tender - down below.
Underwear feels a little abrasive and intimacy can be uncomfortable (even though KY Jelly is to hand).
Being careful about what I would put on such an area I had just used Sudocream or occasionally vagisil (sp) to make a bit of a skin barrier against the underwear.

Yesterday I visited my female GP who said the area is red and a little inflamed, but there is no infection. Hydrocortisone 1% was prescribed to use twice daily for two weeks which should resolve matters. Dr says it is natural skin thinning.
I did have hydrocortisone in the house but didn't want to use it without approval because I know that steriod cream can in itself cause skin thinning.
Hopefully this will improve the discomfort.

In the meantime, is anyone else coping with this.
What do you do to ease matters.
Does it affect your personal life.

Sorry if I've been a bit too specific.

kittylester Thu 08-Jan-15 07:17:00

This thread could be the female version of that other thread Coolgran. blush

I've had a similar thing lately and have also been using vagisil and I've been thinking of getting a special soap to see if that helps.I have been diagnosed with 'senile vaginitis' so use vagifem pessaries anyway! Sometimes I live really dangerously and use 3 or 4 per week!! [shock[

Gracesgran Thu 08-Jan-15 08:24:52

The doctor can also prescribe a local oestrogen cream which can really help. I have this and also 1% hydrocortisone cream and it has made a huge difference.

If anyone is having a problem with this - very common after the menopause - then go to your GP. I tried to self medicate for ages with lubricants, Sudocream and Vagisil and it was only when I thought it must be thrush but was told you could not buy the Boots cream at over 61 (I thought I looked younger toosmile) that I went to the GP. A couple of days of treatment put paid to a couple of years of discomfort.

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Jan-15 09:06:42

Thankyou Kitty and Grace.

About 4 years ago I was prescribed an oestogen cream and pessaries and after a time all seemed fine and I stopped using it.

At the appointment yesterday I thought the GP might have prescribed it again, she did take note that it had been previously used but didn't suggest using it again. I wonder could that be because I'm mid 60s and hormonal may not be the way to go.

However, I will be out this morning and will seek out the vagifem pessaries.
I too have also been thinking about soap. Normally we use Dove soap but I read somewhere that even though it has a high moisturiser content, it also has the salts ??? that make it foam. My understanding is that any soap that has lots of suds probably is not that good for the skin.
A wee trip into Boots needed.

Katek Thu 08-Jan-15 09:19:39

There are various soap free washes on the market-think Vagisil do one and Femfresh def make one.

Gracesgran Thu 08-Jan-15 09:27:21

Because I have other skin issues I don't use soap but Oilatum which leaves an emollient on the skin Coolgran65. It's very soothing.

I am 65 and have just been prescribed the oestogen cream which the doctor suggested could be continued but on a less frequent basis if necessary. It may be worth mentioning it.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Jan-15 09:30:53

I bought a bar of special soap for that, but I lost it! I haven't got a clue where it went. I never even got to try it.

Oldgreymare Thu 08-Jan-15 09:59:48

E45 Emollient wash cream.... never soap, far too 'drying' in an area that is already far too dry!

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Jan-15 10:05:59

So.. E45 Emollient wash cream, Oilatum, and Vagisil/Femfresh soap free washes. I def should be able to get one of these this morning.

Why didn't I ask this question when I joined a few months ago?
flowers to all you lovely ladies.

Lapwing Thu 08-Jan-15 10:09:11

This is such a common problem but because it is not often talked about sufferers think that they are on there own.

There also non-hormonal treatments, I find 'replens' works well. My doctor also recommended not using soap or if necessary Simple soap and I find it does not cause irritation.

Iam64 Thu 08-Jan-15 10:20:38

I'm a rep lens fan, had to stop using the wonderful gel with hormones as it caused a mini bleed. The 'down below' stuff is very tedious isn't it.

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Jan-15 10:24:20

Lapwing I looked at Replens and this seems to be for vaginal dryness. (When necessary I use KY jelly - does this do the same thing as Replens).

My discomfort is ..... how can I best describe this..... an all over dryness in the general genitalia area, and is irritated by clothing. Is this what you also use Replens for.

Lapwing Thu 08-Jan-15 10:28:08

Ain't it just lam64. grin

Iam64 Thu 08-Jan-15 10:29:15

Yes it is coolgran, it's brilliant smile

Lapwing Thu 08-Jan-15 10:45:36

Coolgran65 my problem was both internal and external (vaginal atrophy) and I actually started bleeding which was why I went PDQ to the doctors. I was referred to a gyne consultant and she recommended the Replens because I am a high cancer risk and cannot use any hormone treatment. I can honestly say that it has made such a difference to my life - I could really relate to what you said about your underwear feeling abrasive and the effects it has on your intimate life. At one stage I could not even sit comfortably and a bumpy car journey was a nightmare. The Replens has really made my life so much more comfortable and normal.

The gyne consultant explained to me that by easing the internal problem the external would also be resolved and that is the way that it worked.

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Jan-15 11:16:17

Iam64 and Lapwing - The Replens sounds just the job...... as I head out the door to go to the chemist.

Jenty61 Thu 08-Jan-15 11:19:07

Like Lapwing I've been suffering with this for years!! The doctor refuses to give me an oestrogen cream as it feeds the lining of the womb which can lead to cancer...I use replens regularly although it says every 3rd day I use it more frequently this can be got on prescription now and I use aqueous cream every time after I go to the loo on the outer vagina...this can be bought over the counter...it's no cure but does make things more comfortable...going commando indoors is good as well...

Nelliemoser Thu 08-Jan-15 11:34:26

coolgran65 there is a whole thread somewhere on GN about vaginal atrophy.
I also use Vagifem low hormone pessaries which work on as low a dose as I can get away with.

Obviously if you cannot take such things because of other health issues they will not be suitable.
I was having discomfort just walking and sitting down never mind having sex. (whatever that is) It meant I had discomfort and urgency peeing at times.

It's more or less stable at present. Before I got a diagnosis and treatment it was miserable.

I find ordinary wash gels very irritating as they affect the sensitive skin.
I use Femfresh wash which seems whole lot cheaper than Vagisil.

To all sufferers it's full sympathy from me.

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Jan-15 12:41:25

Thanks Nellie and Jenty

Back from chemist suitably fortified with Replens and E45 shower wash.
Have yet to read the instructions but see that Replens 'lasts up to 3 days' ? which sounds optimistic and I see that you (Jenty) use it more frequently - I'll play it by ear -or whatever-
Is the aqueous cream just plain E45.
Good to know that I can get Replens on prescription.

Odd.... I had noticed that I'm peeing much more.

I did see the Femfresh wash, after I'd already bought the E45 wash.

Nellie when you say you are now stable, are you still using treatments?

I'll do a search on the thread for vaginal atrophy. Don't know how, but I'm sure I'll suss it.

Coolgran65 Thu 08-Jan-15 12:43:48

Found the previous thread smile

Mishap Thu 08-Jan-15 13:16:43

I am a little worried jings as to where you might have lost your soap!

I was once given some oestrogen cream for that area and all the cells that respond to oestrogen did so with knobs on and I had a swelling the size of a cauliflower - never again!

TriciaF Thu 08-Jan-15 13:43:41

I don't think soap is necessary for washing the body, unless you've been in real muck.
I just use soap on my hands.
As for your problemCoolgran - I have that too but it's only internal at the moment and I use some hormone cream twice a week.

Iam64 Thu 08-Jan-15 13:49:13

My GP agrees with you TriciaF - she reassured me that washing in the shower, using water only would be fine.

This isn't the jolliest topic is it, and much easier to discuss in cyber space than in RL smile

kittylester Thu 08-Jan-15 14:14:23

MISHAP - really grin

I thought that but didn't say it! blush

janerowena Thu 08-Jan-15 14:15:41

I do love gransnet. I learn about all sorts of new and exciting ailments that I might have one day.

Is this one caused by anything in particular? Or is it that some people have thinner skin than others? I do remember one of my sisters saying that she could no longer use perfumed things in the bath, but didn't seem inclined to enlighten me, is that perhaps why? It does sound like something really annoying and uncomfortable.