Gransnet forums

Health

osteoporosis

(39 Posts)
Cath9 Thu 27-Oct-16 18:26:52

Has anyone got this condition and how are they feeling.

I got it due to having to be on a medication that takes away some of my vitamin D. so when I tried to take calcium my head felt so tight.
It is in my hips and has now spread to my spine, but I still get around alright, although today there was an ache, not sure if it is due to osteroprosis or not.

annsixty Thu 27-Oct-16 18:57:23

I am going for a DEXA scan on Monday as when I had my knee op the surgeon said my bones were spongy and I should get them tested. I will report back when I get some results.

Cath9 Fri 28-Oct-16 10:29:36

Thanks, do let me know ansixty,

Yesterday, in the evening, I was in such severe pain, couldn't walk without support and it took a while to get my legs into the bed. I am still bit painful today but can walk around, just not sure about going shopping.

Im68Now Fri 28-Oct-16 10:34:56

Look on the bright side, you can get a blue badge for the car. Theirs no cure, you can't replace the layer that's gone.

trisher Fri 28-Oct-16 10:46:17

Sorry you are wrong Im68Now if diagnosed and treated early enough osteoporosis is treatable. It isn't completely curable and some medication may always be needed but bones are not irreplaceable. Basically your bones are constantly renewing themselves but with osteoporosis the loss is greater than the replacement rate. Proper treatment- medication and exercise can change this. I was diagnosed with this in my 50s, thanks to treatment I now have a lesser version osteopenia, am on a 'drug holiday' and am in my 70s.

Im68Now Fri 28-Oct-16 10:50:23

Look on the bright side, you can get a blue badge for the car. Theirs no cure, you can't replace the layer that's gone.

Cath9 Fri 28-Oct-16 13:58:13

I did find it early; about 2002, when a health clinic was offering a bone density scan, which proved that my bones were weaker than they should have been for the age I was then.
As I said to Im68Now, to get a blue badge for my car is not possible as I cannot see on my left side.
All, due to a childhood illness, as I have a diseased scar on my right temporal lobe. Had a lobotoomy in 1970, when it was the talk of the town! They couldn't take all the diseased scar away but they did take my left side vision and pattern reconition away. So I am unable to drive. However, even though I now hardly get any seizures and if so no one would not know, But I still have to take these AEDs which is the cause of the problem, having been on them for so long.
They are going to refer me to a clinic, but I doubt that will do much good with taking this AED.

Nanamaz Fri 28-Oct-16 14:58:29

I was diagnosed with osteoporosis several years ago after I went to my GP with severe lower back pain and he sent me for a DEXA scan, which revealed a fractured lumbar vertebra. After a couple of years taking one calcium + Vitamin C tablet a day for six days a week, and one Alendronic Acid tablet a week, I had another scan which showed my bone density had improved. I still take the same medication and still have lower back pain on standing for a long while, or bending, relieved by sitting down for a while. My GP has referred me for another DEXA scan as I had a bad fall some months ago which caused a fractured leg. Whoever said "growing old is not for wimps" was quite correct!

Anya Fri 28-Oct-16 15:31:48

There is a known link between fractures of the femur and taking Alendronic Acid long term.

In March 2010, the FDA started its own investigation into the link between femur fractures and bisphosphonate drugs, including Fosamax (Alendronic Acid) The American Society of Bone and Mineral Research submitted its report to the FDA, underscoring the bisphosphonate risks. The research, which was later published in the “Journal of Bone and Mineral Research,” found that long-term use of Fosamax and other bisphosphonates were linked to “unusual but serious fractures of the thigh bone.”

I came off Alendronic Acid and changed to Strontium Ranelate but had to come off that as there was an increased risk of heart problems.

So for over 3 years now I've been treating it through diet and supplement. Had a DEXA scan in Wednesday so will feed back if there's been an improvement, but as Nanamaz just posted improved bone density isn't the whole story.

DaphneBroon Fri 28-Oct-16 16:39:36

I find Im68now's facile "Look on the bright Side" comment thoughtless and insensitive, especially when it was repeated.
However, Cath9 you do not have to be the driver to qualify for a blue badge parking permit. You can apply for one for whoever drives you (e.g. DH or another family member or friend) and this can be used in any vehicle you are in, even a mini cab.
So if you think it would be useful, I would say go for it.
And regarding Osteoporisis being reversible, yes indeed. DH had it 20 years ago because his diseased liver was not metabolising fatty acids. Many years of a med called Didronel has restored his bone density to roughly what it should be for a man of his age (not particularly good, but could be much worse)
Good luck.

Jalima Fri 28-Oct-16 16:52:04

Yes, as DaphneB says, the blue badge is for you whichever vehicle you are in; you just have to remember to place it absolutely correctly - my friend put hers upside down (not wrong way up, it could still be seen) by mistake and got a fine shock which they would not cancel!

I have been taking calcium + magnesium and vitamin C which you need for the bones to absorb the calcium apparently, plus occasional Vitamin D because I broke a bone recently.

Cath9 Fri 28-Oct-16 18:36:07

Unfortunately, with my dear husband having departed at a young age, I have now nobody to transport me. Just about once or twice a year my dear brother offers to take me and my ancient mum out, who is a chicken compared to me!

Im68Now Tue 01-Nov-16 09:26:22

Once you get the Blue Badge you'll be surprised just how many Friends (with cars) you've got.

Human Nature is so Predictable thlenvy

Grannyflower Wed 02-Nov-16 05:57:00

I too have been prescribed alendronic acid and Vitamin D following bone scan but do not take continually as read of negative side effects. I try and get as much sunshine as much as I can, ( read up on skin protection etc), get a balanced diet and do weight bearing exercise and core strengthening to prevent falls I.e. Pilates. Was due second bone scan after 10 years but Dr said No point as there is no other treatment. Look after YOURSELF I say and live as well as you can for as long as you can.

BlueBelle Wed 02-Nov-16 06:21:07

Just a little remark about blue badge Cath9 I m not at all sure if this is down to individual councils or not but when my Dad became too infirm to get on and off buses and as a non driver he was given a blue badge so my daughter took him shopping AND he got vouchers for so many taxi journeys a year I think it came to something like £100 so not a huge amount over a year but helped him a lot with a little independence but as I say I m not sure if that was just our area that did that
I m having arthritis problems and taking extra strong cod liver oil and vit D calcium glucosamine as I don't want to take painkillers unless totally have to Losing weight. (I m not really overweight but aware I was heading to the upper side of normal ?) and keep walking and cycling as much as I can
Good luck

trisher Wed 02-Nov-16 10:21:36

Grannyflower sorry your doctor is wrong your bone density does need monitoring, even if you are restricting your use of the drugs they could be overused and as has been previously said there is some evidence of fractures caused by long term use. If your bone density has improved (and mine has) you would be advised to take a 'drug holiday' and just carry on with calcium and exercise. (Suspect your doctor is saving money!)

scarlet1 Wed 02-Nov-16 12:58:56

I was diagnosed with secondary osteoporosis due to a gastrointestinal illness leading to poor diet.
I take calcium and vit D, have had Aldronic Acid in both tablet and yearly infusion which have not been effective and with worsening DX scores am now trying 6 monthly injections. I have good support which helps. I have had small annoying fractures of toes and ribs with minor scoliosis. I would encourage people to keep taking there meds although there are side effects as further bone loss can be prevented.

Anya Tue 15-Nov-16 11:27:35

Just been in to see GP for result of DEXA scan.

No longer have any readings that indicate oesteoporosis - it's now only osteopenia.

I came off Alendronic acid due to side effects and the evidence of thigh fractures, and soon took myself off strontium ranelate too. That was three years ago and my bone health has improved sunshine

I take the usual vitamins for bones plus K2.

Jalima Tue 15-Nov-16 18:49:09

Can it be detected from an ordinary X-ray?

Anya Tue 15-Nov-16 19:11:09

Yes Jalima bone problems such as arthritis and oesteoporosis will show up to some extent on an X-Ray but then you'd need a DEXA scan to quantify the level of osteoporosis.

Jalima Tue 15-Nov-16 19:13:26

The consultant said he couldn't see any sign of osteoporosis but I thought it needed a DEXA scan to be sure.

The break was just one of those things I suppose.
The arthritis is something else again and the main problem.

Thanks Anya

Anya Tue 15-Nov-16 19:32:59

I know this Jalima as I had to give up running due to pain in my ankles. My GP sent me for X-Ray and it confirmed arthritis, but she also said there was evidence of bone thinning and sent me for a DEXA scan. This confirmed oesteoporosis and gave various readings of bone density.

mcem Tue 15-Nov-16 23:20:55

After a minor wrist break and dexa scan I took risendronate sodium for 5 years - until last week! (I was diagnosed witb osteopenia.)
I now have a 2-year drug-free holiday but will continue with calcium + vit D tablets. 2 years from now I'll have a other dexa scan.
No problems meantime apart from gradual deterioration in right hip and left knee because of arthritis!

LadyGracie Wed 16-Nov-16 10:11:33

I was diagnosed with osteopenia following a nasty wrist break July 2015, I'm taking Calcium/Colecalciferol, I've been told various stories, they do work, they don't work! I'll carry on taking them, another dexa scan in 2018, then we'll see

Jalima Wed 16-Nov-16 10:24:58

Please tell me that these exercises are making it better
Ouch!
I could never run anyway but it would be nice to be able to walk properly, well, as well as I could before anyway.