Gransnet forums

Health

Free prescription or not?

(38 Posts)
anneey Wed 22-Feb-17 15:04:14

I was at A&E..... At 10p.m. was given a prescription, but unfortunately the hospital pharmacy was closed.
We were pleasantly surprised to find a pharmacy just a few 100 yds away..... I was charged £8 although my daughter explained that I was a pensioner, and entitled to free prescriptions.
The pharmacist explained that, hospital prescriptions have to be payed for. (No wonder he was open at that time of the night)
A nice little earner!.... I must admit it was worth the £8 to start on my antibiotics.....Did anyone else know about this?

Charleygirl Wed 22-Feb-17 15:08:40

I had no idea- I agree, a good incentive to remain open longer.

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 15:24:37

Are you sure that's true? I know I didn't have to pay to have my hospital prescription made up by an outside chemist.

I'm not saying this chemist is lying - that would be mad! But can anyone explain this? You'd think anyone exempt from prescription charges would not have to pay, whoever issued the prescription...confused

Jayanna9040 Wed 22-Feb-17 15:30:39

If the OP did not have proof of her exemption ie driving licence showing age then the pharmacist is required to charge BUT he should have given her a refund form so that she could reclaim. He was completely wrong to say that hospital prescriptions have to be paid for. Had you signed the disclaimer on the form anneey?

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 15:32:54

Have investigated online (should have done that first!) and it's correct, most hospital prescriptions have to be paid for when filled by an outside chemist unless the patient asks for an FP10 which they can take to their local pharmacy.

Apparently you can also take a hospital prescription to your GP so he/she can issue an ordinary green one but some are not best pleased about having to do this!

grannylyn65 Wed 22-Feb-17 15:41:35

We don't pay in Scotland smile

Jayanna9040 Wed 22-Feb-17 15:49:19

Where did you find that Ana? I got a totally different set of info when I googled though I admit it was a lot to wade through....

Jalima Wed 22-Feb-17 15:56:33

They use different prescription forms for the hospital pharmacy to the ones issued in hospital to be used at outside chemists.

Ana Wed 22-Feb-17 16:02:29

Jayanna9040 I can't find it now! It was a PDF file explaining how the NHS has to recoup the prescription charges from the hospital if a prescription is taken to an outside chemist.

If you can't wait at the hospital pharmacy or it's going to be closed you can ask the doctor to give you a FP10 form so you don't have to pay if you're exempt.

Luckygirl Wed 22-Feb-17 16:03:01

How extraordinary! - a very similar thing happened to me on Monday. I spent most of the day on a trolley in the corridor of our local A&E, having collapsed and passed out with extremely severe gastric pain. Luckily the pain was controlled very quickly by the ambulance crew, and all the right investigations were done at the hospital in spite of the full corridor. I am to have a further gastroscopy - it is likely to have been a problem with the polyps that I have.

But, like the OP, I was given a prescription after the hospital pharmacy had closed. The chemist my DD took it to said they could not dispense it and we would have to return to the hospital when the pharmacy was open. In fact, my OH has managed to sort out for our GP to counter-sign it and for it to be dispensed free at the surgery, about 2 minutes from us.

No suggestion was made that we might have to pay.

anneey Wed 22-Feb-17 19:16:09

Complicated isn't it.
When I next speak to my pharmacist I will definitely ask her advice.

grannypiper Wed 22-Feb-17 19:27:22

luckygirl hope your feeling better.flowers

grannypiper Wed 22-Feb-17 19:29:09

grannylyn I find the fact that it is free a disgrace but thats for another thread no doubt.

GrandmaMoira Wed 22-Feb-17 19:57:34

I had a prescription from an outpatient clinic. The consultant did not complete the form to allow me to get it from the hospital pharmacy but did a form to give to the GP. This meant going to the surgery after going to the hospital, spending time explaining to the receptionist, then waiting 3 days for the GP to write up a green prescription, then taking it to the local pharmacy. This seems so complicated and must be expensive, having to get the GP and her staff to do work as well as the Consultant.

grannylyn65 Wed 22-Feb-17 20:12:42

grannypiper confused

Jalima Wed 22-Feb-17 21:59:12

GrandmaM my consultant has two separate pads of prescription forms - ones for using in the hospital pharmacy and one for using at an outside chemist.
What your consultant does sounds unnecessarily complicated

Hopehope Wed 22-Feb-17 23:54:49

Why do you find it a disgrace that prescriptions are free for those over 60? Grannypiper. Isn't that why we paid our national Insurance stamps for years down the line? The amount of tablets my DH has to take I am very pleased that they are free, and as we have both worked very hard all our lives( I am still working now in fact even though I am officially retired, I feel no guilt about it.I am just thankfull.

FarNorth Thu 23-Feb-17 00:21:33

Annoyed that prescriptions are free in Scotland, grannypiper? confused

grannypiper Thu 23-Feb-17 08:24:33

Hope it wasnt aimed at the over 60's. I dont agree with everyone in Scotland having free prescriptions, the country can not afford it.

paddyann Thu 23-Feb-17 17:06:22

grannypiper its cheaper giving everyone free prescriptions than the admin for measntesting would be .Apart from that I know a couple who between them have around 12 prescription meds a day ,they have heart issues,they aren't on a great income and the cost of all those drugs would be a big chunk out of their wage,should they then have to decide whether to get their medication or pay their mortgage every month...they dont get benefits of any kind because they both work and their income is just above the limit.I'd far rather live in a country that looks after the people who need it ,I'm sure you have your reasons for being anti.....SNP BAD perhaps ?

Luckygirl Thu 23-Feb-17 17:27:11

Thanks grannypiper - I am fine, but keen to get the gastroscopy done to try and find out what happened - then I can stop worrying that it might happen again! I like to know my enemy!

grannypiper Thu 23-Feb-17 19:35:20

PaddyannWhile i do understand that some people cant afford it there are plenty who can, why should any couple on £30,000 P/A have free prescriptions ? it is utter madness

grannypiper Thu 23-Feb-17 19:36:28

Paddyann who said i was anti SNP?

Coolgran65 Thu 23-Feb-17 19:47:31

I have never been given a prescription from the hospital. Usually they provide enough medication to cover a couple of days and a letter for the GP who writes the requisite prescription.

Rigby46 Thu 23-Feb-17 20:18:39

So why should well off pensioners have free health care at all then? Or WFA or bus passes or TV licences?