Gransnet forums

Health

I feel old suddenly!

(153 Posts)
mazza245 Fri 24-Mar-17 09:29:24

I have always felt that I didn't look my age and I try to dress up to date, wear makeup, hair styled etc but it's suddenly hit me that I'm getting and looking old! I have spent a lot of this week in tears. I realise it's self pity which isn't good but maybe it's justified?

I've been to the doctors, dentists, osteopath and hairdresser this week and more or less had bad news at each appointment! I have a dental bridge which came out and the dentist said the two roots still in my jaw must be rotten and have to be removed. He refused to cement the bridge back in and we are going on holiday next week, me with a big gap at the side of my mouth! I then have to look forward to this probably painful procedure on my return, my husband didn't want me to have them out before we go away as last time I had an impacted wisdom tooth out, I got an infection in my jaw which was extremely painful. I have to let the gum mend for six months before anything can be done so I'm stuck with this gap. So I cried there, as I can't eat on that side, it's sore and I have this gap.

I was really looking forward to the hairdresser as I usually come out feeling and looking better but he combed through my hair and then in a very sympathetic manner asked if I'd been losing a lot of hair recently? He's forgotten previous discussions as I'm on a low dose of chemo which has obviously had more of a toll on my hair than I thought. He was shocked as he remembers I had the thickest hair possible. So I cried there too as I was so embarrassed.

I know I'm feeling low with the long winter, the dreadful weather recently and I'm ready for a holiday but this crying and self pity has to stop!

morethan2 Fri 24-Mar-17 09:54:14

No it doesn't have to stop at least not yet. You have my sympathy as I feel somewhat the same as you for different reasons. It was my last day at work yesterday. I'm now retired. Even though I've made the right decision today I feel a bit bereft as if I'm floundering. My skin is starting to look crinkly especially my neck. My scalp is suffering from all the years of colouring. My bones are starting to warm up and feel sore. I can't be too far from a toilet. My list is endless. I can tell by your post that like me you'll pick yourself up and just get on with it after a little wallow. Your tooth can be fixed eventually and hairdressers can work wonders. I was told today that we may have a bright warm sunny weekend. That'll cheer us up and we're both going on holiday next weeksunshine me to Malta ?? werecare you off too?were ever it is relax and here's hoping we feel brighter on our return . Xx

Greyduster Fri 24-Mar-17 10:10:03

You are not alone. I have had a rough couple of weeks with health issues dominating, seemingly one after the other, and I said to DH that I really feel all of my seventy years at the moment. His response is always to say "think if all the people who haven't made it to seventy". I try not to spend too much time in front of the mirror. But, as morethan said, better weather this weekend should cheer everyone up, and you have a holiday to look forward to. I do hope you feel better about yourself soon ?.

KatyK Fri 24-Mar-17 10:13:08

It's not easy. If it makes you feel better, I had all my teeth taken out when I was 11. I had to visit a dentist yesterday with a view to getting a new set of dentures. It is embarrassing and humiliating. I get through it by thinking there are those who are far worse off. I have also lost most of my hair. Some days are very hard but at least I'm still here and health wise OK at the moment smile

gillybob Fri 24-Mar-17 10:38:01

There's really nothing wrong with a little self pity mazza . Nothing at all. It is only natural that you are going to feel down after suffering the trauma of lost teeth and being told you are potentially losing your hair too.

Is there any way you could have a temporary denture fitted to get you through your holiday? I lost a bridged tooth a few years ago and whilst it wasn't ideal my dentist arranged for me to have a temp denture on a pallet to get me through a very important time at work (visitors from major customer that had to be looked after) . I really couldn't have done it otherwise.

I have never been confident in my looks. Have never thought (or indeed been told) that I was pretty (I'm not so why would anyone lie?) My hair is pathetic but like you I have always tried to look my best with a little bit make-up and try to dress smartly/young.

Your confidence has taken a knock. A good hairdresser can do great things to help disguise thinning hair and once you get those teeth sorted I'm sure you will feel a million times better. smile

rosesarered Fri 24-Mar-17 10:41:42

mazza No wonder you feel so low,?
I think we all have days when we feel we look ok, and others when it hits us ( usually in a photo) that we look old.
You have had health problems on top of this feeling, so it's natural to feel very down about things.
Try and enjoy your holiday and forget about looks ( most men do!)
Relaxing on holiday and a drink or two always helps.
Come back afterwards and tell us about your hols.

KatyK Fri 24-Mar-17 10:47:52

I agree that you are allowed a degree of self pity. I have many days where I feel very sorry for myself. I hope you feel better soon mazza

MiniMouse Fri 24-Mar-17 11:05:13

Sorry to sound flippant, but gillyb's denture pallet made me laugh. Are you suggesting that Mazz is blessed with a large mouth? Adding insult to injury!!

Anya Fri 24-Mar-17 11:43:09

This growing old isn't for wimps is it? But it's better than the alternative surely.

Chin up and have a nice slug of gin cuppa brew

gillybob Fri 24-Mar-17 11:47:37

Pallet ? Palate ? I am sure the OP understood what I meant.

Glad you got a pedantry grin from it though MiniMouse smile

suzied Fri 24-Mar-17 11:50:10

Save up and have an implant, your dentist should be able to make a temporary to fill the gap. Get a hat/ scarf / sunglasses / lipstick for your holiday. Relax when you get there .

Rinouchka Fri 24-Mar-17 12:09:52

Oh, mazza, we are all in the same boat, so have a well earned wallow, shed a few tears, then pick yourself up and do all you can to make yourself feel better: implant, neck creams( and natty scarves), hair thickening advice from hairdresser, some new clothes, a good holiday. Join the sisterhood of ageing but refuse to buckle under it.

My moments of horror at the realisation that I am now an old woman are chrystallised by the fact that I get a lot of attention from old Frenchman ( 70s/80s/90s but still standing and still lecherous) in our village ( I am younger than them!) despite the fact that they know I am happily married. The looks do not feel like compliments but serve as reminders of my own state of decreptitude. DH thinks it is very funny! shock

ffinnochio Fri 24-Mar-17 12:19:40

maza - sometimes it's the little things that can shred the self esteem. Step boldly forward and enjoy your holiday. flowers

Mapleleaf Fri 24-Mar-17 13:16:51

flowers and wine for you mazza
Hope you feel a bit better.

MiniMouse Fri 24-Mar-17 13:28:59

Sorry gilly, just in a silly frame of mind today smile

mazza245 Fri 24-Mar-17 13:53:36

Thank you all so much for your bolstering words. I couldn't believe that I started crying again in the hairdressers surrounded by all these beautiful young girls with thick hair, white strong teeth and gorgeous skin whilst I was looking in the mirror and all I could see was wrinkles by the score, a toothless hag with thin hair!

Yes, I have a holiday to look forward to and the weather today is beautiful. My OH tells me not to be silly, hasnt much truck with tears but he could tell how upset I was yesterday. It was just the final straw after the teeth debacle the day before. The young male dentist (who has a smug smile on his face) refused to stick it back in and advised me not to get it done elsewhere. I could get it done in Portugal, cheaper, but I'm going to have these roots out as soon as I get back and I simply daren't have it stuck in! It would be Sod's law that it wouldn't come out. I was thinking in the night (!!) that I could try and get some cement online in time to stick it back in myself! I'd need two implants and they are £2000 each! I really can't justify spending that when my husband is struggling with a denture for a front tooth! I think I shocked this dentist by crying, he was a bit kinder than usual.

My hairdresser who has known me for over 20 years, has given me a short bob to make it look thicker but as soon as I wash it, it'll be back to flat and drab. He's going to sort out a bit of hair to clip in when I go back, to put in when we go out. I feel like I'm going to end up with a wig!

I know, I know, there's a lot worse. I kept trying to say yesterday, some poor people have no hair, or alopecia, or patches. You poor thing, KatyK, I feel for you. I wish I'd looked after me teeth, sure enough. Love to all of you, you are very kind. I'm going to take the dog out in the sun, and keep my mouth closed! xx

suzied Fri 24-Mar-17 14:04:13

It's definitely worth spending on your teeth. Perhaps you and DH could get them done together , I know it's super expensive, but it takes 6 months or so and the payments are spread out. My dentist does interest free credit! It's the cost of a luxury cruise or second hand car, but I know which I'd prefer. I had to have a bridge removed last year and have now an implant ( didn't have to have 2) and it was sooo worth it. I hated having a denture, couldn't eat or speak comfortably, but now I can smile.

mazza245 Fri 24-Mar-17 14:17:07

Oh thanks. No, I wouldn't countenance a denture, been there, done that. It spent more time in my handbag where it 'bit' my kids when they went in for something. I really really want one implant (or two) but I'm always spending money on myself, eyes lasered, very expensive teeth jobbie for my daughter's wedding, part of which is what's bitten the dust now, hair done, clothes, it seems to be me and my poor husband never has any money spent on him but he won't go and have private dentistry, will put up with it, won't have new clothes etc unless I force him. I

We need new cars, work done on the house etc but I bet I end up with at least one implant which would partially cover this gaping hole but that in six months time by which time, I suppose I'll have got used to it and the soreness and emptiness will have gone. ! OH actually said on Wednesday, well, you are 68, what do you expect? Should I just live with the gummy smile?

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 14:40:24

Oh dear, I know how you feel!
My teeth need some fixing and I even wondered whether to have them all out and have some nice dentures (that would be a bit drastic though). Can you not have a temporary bridge or does that have to wait until the infection has cleared? Just smile with your mouth shut and look enigmatic like Victoria Beckham wink

A really good cut can do wonders for your hair, sunglasses hide the wrinkles round your eyes, a pretty cotton scarf if it's hot where you're going.

When I feel a bit fed up or down I remind myself what the alternative to old age is.

HildaW Fri 24-Mar-17 14:51:03

There really is something very depressing about our teeth failing us. I can always remember going with my Mum when she had her first extraction of a front tooth when she must have been in the mid forties. She put a brave face on it but said afterwards how depressing it was and how glad of my company she had been.
Fast forward several years and the same happened to me and I finally understood how emotional it all is. There is something very definite about tooth loss. Its part vanity I know and too dread the time when another of my over filled teeth finally gives up the ghost.
You are not alone, its definitely the time of year....but thankfully the daffodils are out now and its getting brighter at night so hopefully the sap will be rising.
Treat yourself to something unconnected to teeth....a perfume, a bunch of daffodils, a ride out in the car to spot some lambs. WE all know how you feel but it will get better!

Christinefrance Fri 24-Mar-17 14:56:59

Why does everything happen at once then problems seem magnified. I'm sure others do not notice as much as you think. Deal with one thing at a time and enjoy your life.
I have to sit in the back of the car at the moment due to my injury and caught sight of myself in the driving mirror, when did my neck get so crepey. ? when did my face sag ? Who cares, I am getting better, my husband has cared for me so well and friends have invited us to stay with them in Spain. Life is ok.

Jalima Fri 24-Mar-17 15:05:28

mazza I will say that, when I look into my bathroom mirror when I've done my makeup I think 'well, that's not so bad, at least the blusher makes me look a bit more perky' then if I go to the hairdresser's and look in the mirror there I see an old hag staring back at me.

There is something very unflattering about hairdressers' lighting and mirrors!

LuckyFour Fri 24-Mar-17 15:12:22

I recently lost two stone and am now down to just under 9 stone. I have had to buy new clothes and they are more modern and nicer than the old ones. HOWEVER, my face is thinner and quite wrinkly now and my arms are also very wrinkly where the skin hangs down. I am 70 this year and although I am fit and well (touch wood) I am pretty sure I look my age. So sorry you have a problem with your teeth my DH has had something similar and it's no joke. He is not a vain man but didn't want to go out to our usual social events till it was sorted out. He is at the dentist as we speak. All the best to you and thank you all for great contributions to all the posts.

FarNorth Fri 24-Mar-17 15:22:42

I think losing teeth is more traumatic than other changes because it happens instantly. One minute it's there, then it's out!
And it's all the worse if it affects how we look.

I fully sympathise with you mazza. flowers brew

petra Fri 24-Mar-17 15:28:40

mazza245 Have a look at getting your implants done in Bulgaria. At the most expensive you will get an implant for under £500. Why not incorporate this with a holiday?
I lived there for 5 years and can't praise their dentistry enough. All of them speak very good English.
Search a Bulgarian newspaper called 'Novo' this is in English. Then search dental Implants.