Gransnet forums

Breast cancer

(17 Posts)
Yorkshiregirl Thu 14-Sep-17 06:53:35

I've had 2 surgeries in 5 weeks to remove breast cancer, as they didn't get it all the first time. The whole family have been distraught especially as we lost my sister to cancer 2 years ago and other family in the past.

Yesterday I had another appointment to see if I was clear or needed a mastectomy, and to our great relief I am cancer free ! The family all went out for a celebratory meal last night, which was paid for by my kind son in law.

I need chemotherapy and radiotherapy due to the type of cancer I have, and drugs for 5 years. Treatments start in about 3 weeks, and although it wont be pleasant I am so very grateful these treatments are available for me.

During the last 3 months I have found out who loves and cares for me, and who are kind considerate people, who I want to share my life with.

I'm feeling the love and warmth from my family and true friends, which keeps me strong.

NanKate Thu 14-Sep-17 06:57:26

What wonderful news Yorkshiregirl. You clearly having a loving family and friends around you.

Onward and upward. smile

Imperfect27 Thu 14-Sep-17 07:15:00

Great news - so pleased for you. Celebration warranted indeed.

A dear friend has recently had to have a mastectomy and faces further radiotherapy, though again, just being 'thorough' to make sure all of the cancer is now gone. It is a long, tiring business so the pauses and 'little victories' deserve a big hurrah.

Best wishes to you Yorkshiregirl for your continued recovery.

absent Thu 14-Sep-17 07:17:37

I have just spent a large part of today having umpteen mammograms, an ultrasound and a biopsy. So far, no one in my family, apart from Mr absent and me, knows that there might be a problem, but I am sure that my family would be on my side and supporting if that is where I end up. Keep your chin up and I wish you great strength, endurance and, ultimately, well-being as you go through your treatment.

baubles Thu 14-Sep-17 07:34:46

Great news Yorkshiregirl flowers

baubles Thu 14-Sep-17 07:36:08

Wishing you well absent, positive thoughts winging their way across the ocean. X

MissAdventure Thu 14-Sep-17 07:36:42

Very best wishes to you, Yorkshire girl. flowers

MissAdventure Thu 14-Sep-17 07:37:35

Oh, and of course, the same wishes to you, absent! flowers

gillybob Thu 14-Sep-17 08:01:31

Brilliant news Yorkshiregirl. I do hope things continue to get better and better for you. sunshine

I do hope things turn out okay for you Absent do keep in touch. I still manage to smile when I think about our get togethers, lots of wine, the wrong train, the lost phone, lost train ticket etc. happy days. smile. Thinking about you .

sunseeker Thu 14-Sep-17 08:02:29

I had breast cancer over 20 years ago - after a mastectomy and chemotherapy for 6 months I have been cancer free. Since then detection and treatment has improved by leaps and bounds. absent I hope all goes well for you.

Welshwife Thu 14-Sep-17 08:06:44

My mother had it when she was 68 in 1976 and went on to live for another 20 years. She still had check ups for all those years and was told they thought she did so well because of the diet she had had for many years - just a normal one really with plenty of fruit and veg and although she had meat or fish daily she did not have huge portions.
I am glad you have had good news Yorkshire and hope you get some too Absent. Please let us know how you get on as I am sure many of us will be wishing you botho well and watching for news.

silverlining48 Thu 14-Sep-17 09:04:01

We currently have experience of bc in our immediate family and know how hard it is.
Such a shock especially as you sadly lost your sister so recently. So they have cleared a cancer free margin which is good news and treatment can begin. Can i offer a word of comfort if you are post memopausal the outcome is usually extremely good..try not to worry and hope all goes well, and you might consider brca gene therapy to check if there might be hereditary connections. We have done this ourselves.
Good luck and best wishes

Luckygirl Thu 14-Sep-17 09:09:29

Good news Yorkshire - and absent, I do hope that things go well for you too.

My sister, who was 60 last week had bc twice, once at age 32 and again at about 40. She is very much still with us! Like Yorkshire, the surgeons had two bites at the cherry to ensure full clearance.

As another poster has said bc tends to less aggressive in older womwn.

flowers to both of you.

annsixty Thu 14-Sep-17 09:11:06

I went through this nearly 18 years ago and am now 80.
Such a relief and good news for you.
The next year will be difficult and tiring but worth it in the end,so good luck with it.

Lona Thu 14-Sep-17 09:15:59

Wonderful news yorkshiregirl, I'm very happy for you.
absent I hope things go well for you, sending my best wishes. My best friend had a mastectomy a couple of years ago and she is clear and full of beans now. Treatments are very successful these days.

morethan2 Thu 14-Sep-17 09:53:12

That's great news Yorkshirgirl and fingers crossed for you absent

Yorkshiregirl Thu 14-Sep-17 11:42:38

Thank you absent. Wishing you all the very best. Keep the faith x

Join the discussion

To post you need a valid nickname and password. Log in if you are a returning member, or join for free.

If you have forgotten your nickname or your password, you can get a reminder.