Gransnet forums

Health

Lloyds the chemist could have killed me to-day

(22 Posts)
Floradora9 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:26:25

I collected my prescription for insulin from the chemist to-day and it looked different from my usual . The chemist's label said the right thing but I was worried that it was not right. The one I use is a mixture of long and fast acting insulin. I decided to phone the pharmacy and the pharmacist right away told me what she had given me and knew it was wrong . I cannot believe that she could do this . The formula for the one she gave me was fast acting only so I would have overdoses mightily if I had used it .
Can anyone tell me who I should complain to please I live in Scotland and have the e-mail address for the CEO but there must be some other body who oversees this .

Nonnie Tue 19-Sep-17 13:28:12

Call your GP, they will know. I am surprised this happened I always thought a colleague checked before meds were issued.

Tegan2 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:31:48

There should be two small boxes on the label where the checkers have to sign to say it's been checked and double checked. Make sure you keep the label so you know whosy to blame.

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:35:23

www.pharmacyregulation.org/about-us This is the body that regulates pharmacists. Perhaps you should also complain to Lloyds as well

valeriej43 Tue 19-Sep-17 13:35:24

How terrible,its not uncommon i think, my daughter was once given the wrong strength of some medication,
As poster above said contact your Gp, but i am sure there must be someone else you could contact
If the pharmacist realised she had given you the wrong meds,why didnt she contact you, she must have your details

Lazigirl Tue 19-Sep-17 14:00:22

My DH was dispensed completely wrong medication once and pharmacist came round with the correct meds and said it would be flagged as a serious incident. (Boots)

tidyskatemum Tue 19-Sep-17 16:21:54

Our pharmacy delivery service once came round with several doses of morphine though neither I or DH have ever been prescribed it. The pack had DH's name on it but we refused to accept it. We rang the GP's surgery, who were completely uninterested. I sometimes wonder how long the poor person it was actually meant for had to suffer before they got their prescription.

Coolgran65 Tue 19-Sep-17 16:27:00

I and several of our close family have had the wrong medication/wrong dose on several occasions.
I worry about older and vulnerable people who are reliant on the chemist getting this right.

And indeed, the medication should be checked by a colleague so there is something greatly wrong if both don't pick up the error, or if a colleague is not being asked to check.

MissAdventure Tue 19-Sep-17 16:55:22

I could fill the whole forum with tales of wrong meds, no meds, other peoples meds being delivered to my late mum. Again, its quite a worry when people have nobody to intervene and might not be up to doing it themselves.

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Sep-17 17:37:41

All the more important for those of us who can to report the wrongdoing

kittylester Tue 19-Sep-17 18:09:50

Lloyds is the chemist attached to our surgery and neither of us has ever been dispensed wrongly. The Boots in the village is a totally different matter.

phoenix Tue 19-Sep-17 18:27:42

I use the surgery in the next village, it is self dispensing (as is the one here)

Luckily I have never had a problem. Once when the packaging on one of my tablets, they were at great pains to explain it to me when I went to collect.

The one in the village where I live is also self dispensing, but many neighbours have been complaining about wrong prescriptions.

durhamjen Tue 19-Sep-17 20:02:30

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2017/09/18/jeremy-hunt-pharmacists_n_18031156.html?utm_hp_ref=uk-politics&ir=UK+Politics

harrigran Wed 20-Sep-17 08:09:39

I was given someone else's chemotherapy and anti-nausea drugs at a dedicated chemotherapy unit shock

valeriej43 Wed 20-Sep-17 10:11:09

Cant bear that smug face of Jeremy hunts

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Sep-17 10:39:56

How come he has survived so long in the job whilst doing so dismally? He must know where the bodies are buried ?

nigglynellie Wed 20-Sep-17 11:01:59

I really don't think anyone can blame Jeremy Hunt for a trained Pharmacist mistake! particularly as it has been, and is, an on going problem which has worried patients, going back many many years.

Lazigirl Wed 20-Sep-17 19:42:04

OMG harrigran that's shocking.
Well, if as dj's link intimates Hunt is planning to cut funding to community pharmacies, allow "technicians" to conduct clinical assessments without a registered pharmacist being present, hand out prescribed drugs, and remove the need for a pharmacist to be on the premises, I can only see things getting worse.

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Sep-17 19:49:26

There is the concept of ministerial responsibility

Marydoll Wed 20-Sep-17 20:10:01

Floradora9 would this be of any help?

www.nhsinform.scot/care-support-and-rights/health-rights/feedback-and-complaints/complain-about-a-gp-pharmacy-dentist-or-hospital-in-scotland

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-Sep-17 21:11:20

How upsetting for you. And yes, there should be careful checks on anything given to a patient. Many years ago our local pharmacist gave me medication for my very young baby that was a 1% solution instead of the 0.1% prescribed. I'm so glad I wasn't completely sleep-deprived and noticed the mistake before I gave it to her.

durhamjen Thu 21-Sep-17 22:53:04

Maryeliza, when the health and social care act came in on 1st April 2013 one of the big complaints was that ministerial responsibility had been taken away.