Gransnet forums

Health

Frequent night urination/soreness in pelvic area

(10 Posts)
Armynanny Sat 18-Nov-17 12:19:39

I’ve always had to visit the toilet several times during the night and have seen GP etc,. Advised to do pelvic floor exercises etc., but still have the same issue (I’m 58). Recently I have suffered with discomfort (not pain), during the day but more noticeable at night. I have my last drink at around 4 pm and only drink 3 cups of coffee a day, the last one being at 10.30 am. Any ideas what this could be?

MissAdventure Sat 18-Nov-17 13:26:37

Maybe dryness? Then it would irritate the skin down there and lead to general discomfort, I would think?

midgey Sat 18-Nov-17 13:29:53

Sounds like you are not drinking enough! Last drink at 4pm is very early. It is not necessarily the case that the more you drink the more you pee, if you drink enough for your body to be hydrated you may find you don’t have to get up during the night. I speak from experience!

MissAdventure Sat 18-Nov-17 13:32:40

Oh yes, sometimes not drinking can make things worse, both in the short and long term. Your bladder needs to be full to empty properly, otherwise there is almost 'sediment' left in it after urinating, which in turn irritates the bladder.

CherryHatrick Sat 18-Nov-17 13:49:51

I agree with most of what has been said already; dehydration is the likeliest culprit. There is an easy way to check...pee into a glass jar and if the wee is anything darker than a very pale yellow, you need to drink more, preferably plain water, and stop drinking coffee and tea altogether for a few days as they dehydrate you. Concentrated pee will irritate your bladder.

HillyN Sat 18-Nov-17 14:06:03

I'm wondering if it might be worth getting checked for type-2 diabetes, although I expect your GP has ruled that out.

Charleygirl Sat 18-Nov-17 14:22:01

You may also have a urinary tract infection and as others have said you are definitely not drinking enough. My last cup of decaffeinated coffee is now around 8pm but I am well hydrated, my urine was very pale when it was sent off for testing a couple of weeks ago.

loopyloo Sat 18-Nov-17 19:00:23

Go back to the doctor. Perhaps you have a prolapse. And have you had a smear recently? Worth having it checked out to make life better.

NotAGran55 Sat 18-Nov-17 19:22:08

I had these exact symptoms 2 years ago at the age of 60 and my GP thought it was due to the lowering levels of oestrogen making the walls of the vagina thinner , in turn affecting the bladder due to the proximity . A course of low dose oestrogen pessaries sorted it within a week . ( She had also tested for a UTI and diabetes and ruled them out)

storynanny Sat 18-Nov-17 21:23:00

Me too notagran, those pessaries are great! Makes bedroom business lovely again as well!