Gransnet forums

Health

Viral infection

(228 Posts)
tinaf1 Sun 31-Dec-17 17:09:56

Has anyone had / got this, started about 18th of this month with sore throat and just can't seem to shift awful cough and stuffed up nose and head ( feels like I am swimming under water) wake up with mouth like the bottom of a bird cage. Have been taking paracetamol etc but does anyone know how long it lasts

MissAdventure Sun 31-Dec-17 17:12:17

I don't know if it was the same thing, but I have had something more than a cold, but not as bad as flu. Same symptoms, and really unpleasant. I could just about function for around 2 weeks.

kittylester Sun 31-Dec-17 17:25:34

Dh and I have had it almost a month but are much better now. We had sore throats for over a week and kept expecting a cold to develop but then the cough came and lasted 3 weeks.

tinaf1 Sun 31-Dec-17 17:25:46

Thanks MissAdventure managed to plough through Christmas & Boxing Day but getting really fed up with waking up each day hoping to feel more like myself and after about an hour just collapsing into a chair or am I just being a big baby ?

tinaf1 Sun 31-Dec-17 17:28:31

Just for a little bit too much information also the cough has been so fierce I now am thinking of buying shares in Tena ladies

MissAdventure Sun 31-Dec-17 17:31:07

Same for me too, Tina blush
Sounds like the same kind of thing. It really dragged me down when I could have done without it.

annsixty Sun 31-Dec-17 17:52:08

So many Christmas celebrations ruined by this awful bug.
Get well soon all of you.

Scribbles Sun 31-Dec-17 18:00:47

OH and I, also several friends, had something like this which started just like a cold with the throat and cotton wool brain feeling plus a cough that lasted for 5 -6 weeks; the sort that tickles all night so you can't sleep. Just when we were starting to despair, it vanished. Lay down one night and didn't cough, slept all night. Bliss! It will go but it takes time.flowers

MissAdventure Sun 31-Dec-17 18:03:21

I was actually having trouble breathing at some points. I'm still not sure whether that was part of it, or if I should be worried about myself.

Rosieroe Sun 31-Dec-17 18:18:34

I’ve been ill for about 2 weeks now. I never recall being so ill over Christmas before. I’ve lost about 10 lbs from having lost all appetite and the fridge is still groaning with food we bought in for the holidays, some of which will likely end up in the bin. My main concern is that DH isn’t feeling well today and I’m worried he may succumb as his immune system is low. We ventured into Tesco this afternoon to get cat food and the place was ringing with the sound of people coughing.

merlotgran Sun 31-Dec-17 18:24:30

I've had it for four days now and feel pretty low. Chest is beginning to hurt which is not a Good Thing.

Like Rosieroe I'm concerned about DH because after almost a year of ill health he's been fine but is now coughing.

I'm just glad we are well stocked up so won't have to venture out for a few days.

Grannyknot Sun 31-Dec-17 18:29:27

I had this too in early December, and it lasted for two weeks ...

I think that all you can do is sit (or lie!) it out.

flowers

tinaf1 Sun 31-Dec-17 18:39:30

Seem no one has an old fashioned cough or cold these days that you could dose yourself and fell better after a week or so everything now seems to be "viral" and goes on for weeks!
I to have had no appetite Rosieroe so if I haven't lost a couple of pounds I will be well p***d off after all this. Same here MissAdventure have had trouble breathing

glammanana Sun 31-Dec-17 18:44:04

Hubby and I have been suffering for the past week every bone in my body was aching at one time feeling slightly better to-day but it has put the dampers on the Christmas period.Get well soon everyone and keep warm.

mcem Sun 31-Dec-17 19:02:52

Same here! Since mid-December I feel as if I've had 4/5 different colds with different symptoms moving around from waist level to the top of my head!!

From chesty cough bad enough to hurt my ribcage muscles to blocked sinuses.

From tickly throat to chest tight enough to need inhalers! No aching bones or joints so I know it isn't flu.

However most colds are caused by viruses and always have been. Maybe it's just harder to shift them as we get older?

jusnoneed Sun 31-Dec-17 19:14:54

My OH has had nasty cough/cold/aches etc for about three weeks. I don't think he's been sniffle free since he had the flu jab, I do wonder if they cause some of these nasty cold symptoms as everyone I know who has one seems to of been really poorly.

mostlyharmless Sun 31-Dec-17 20:07:37

Over Christmas at our house, DH, DD1, SIL2, GS1 and GD2 all came down with same or similar bug. Five out of eleven of us. Totally knocked them out, fever, headaches and aching bones, cough, retching, not eating, not even speaking or walking for some of them, and feeling completely wiped out. Husband still very weak after a week of it. The kids recovered after about four or five days. I've managed to escape so far.
The kids and husband and I had all had flu jab, but it doesn't protect against the new strain of Aussie flu. Plenty of alcohol and food left here!

Bathsheba Sun 31-Dec-17 21:27:02

I've had this since Christmas Day - just about got through the day and everything's been downhill since. In the last few days the cough has given me a permanent headache and my whole ribcage aches when I cough or blow my nose. By far the most difficult thing to cope with is the shortness of breath and wheezing, which is keeping me awake at night. I've seen the nurse practitioner at my surgery who prescribed Ventolin for this, but it doesn't seem to be having much effect so far. And yes, I've been suffering from loss of appetite too.
Frankly, I've just about had enough of it. I absolutely long to be able to lie down in bed and just sleep, without coughing, spluttering and wheezing. Is this Aussie Flu? It certainly feels like flu of some sort, as it's just wiped me out. We've both had our flu jabs this year, but it hasn't stopped this. Fortunately my DH hasn't been as badly affected as me so far, but he's been coughing for about 3 weeks now sad

MissAdventure Sun 31-Dec-17 21:33:00

It sounds mean, but I'm relived that some others have had the shortness of breath. My exes mum took me shopping just before Christmas because she could see how rotten I looked
She's 89 and I had to hold her arm, and ask her to slow down because I couldn't breathe!

Bathsheba Sun 31-Dec-17 22:07:57

It sounds mean, but I'm relived that some others have had the shortness of breath.
No, that's not mean, I can understand that - I felt the same when I read on here that other people are experiencing this. I had been having the odd worrying thought that this was something else entirely, something I should be very worried about. Now I'm more prepared to accept it's all part of the virus.

SueDonim Sun 31-Dec-17 22:16:01

Me, too! I began coughing on Dec 22nd and it progressed from there. I've been in bed for most of the past four days. hmm I didn't even stay in bed when I had a double leg fracture, for goodness sake!

I think mine is a kind of flu. I'm the only person in the family to have caught it and I'm also the only one not to have had a flu vac.

annsixty Sun 31-Dec-17 22:38:16

I have read today that next Autumn all over 75 will be given a stronger and different flu vaccine as it has been found that the one given for the last two years had not protected this age group.
I an aware that most of you may not be in this age group, H and I are. There will not be enough to cover over 65s who may also be vulnerable. It doesn't inspire much confidence in me in the whole efficacy of the programme.

NfkDumpling Sun 31-Dec-17 23:11:53

DH had it at the end of November, DGD (150 miles away) shortly after and DGS had it over Christmas and now DiL is languishing. It’s really laid them all low and lasted a good two weeks, but passed by the rest of us.

harrigran Mon 01-Jan-18 00:22:53

We have escaped the cold viruses but family have had tummy bugs, GD has had it three times in the last three weeks and has visibly lost weight.

ElaineI Mon 01-Jan-18 01:08:53

There have been a lot of bad viruses about this year same as the one described and the winter vomiting - worse than a cold but not quite flu. It is like having constant low grade illness! DGD has had bronchiolitis twice once involving Sick Kids Hospital where they were inundated with babies the same. Hate to say this but flu is beginning to circulate in the community and it is a bad one - Edinburgh area but probably all over. This is from statistics so accurate.