Gransnet forums

Health

Colonoscopy

(128 Posts)
Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 10:56:59

I have just had my 4th colonoscopy. Extensive family history of bowel cancer which necessitates regular scopes. My 3rd three years ago was stopped due to pain from diverticulae. I had a CT scan instead.
Now I have moved to a new area to be nearer family and undergone the 4th. It was indescribably painful even with lots of painkillerand I am so fearful of next time that I asked about having it under GA. I am told this would be very unlikely. I am wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and can offer any advice. I got the all clear this time which is great news but I am already thinking about next time confused

joannapiano Tue 16-Jan-18 11:34:13

I had mine under sedation and it was fine. Could you ask if this is a possibility?

Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 11:48:46

Hi, the 3rd one was with sedation and painkiller (Fentanyl). This last one was just Fentanyl and no sedation. I assumed that i would have to trade sedation for more painkiller. Having had 2 painfree scopes years ago I do think my situation is enhanced by diverticulitis and adhesions in the colon. So glad your scope went well. They are a necessary evil!

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 11:53:18

I had my first last year and even though sedated, screeched through the whole procedure. Mine is also due to narrowing and lesions from diverticulitis . Even changing the tube to a child's didn't help . Hope I never have to have another one.

Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 11:59:36

Hi NannyTee, thanks for your reply. Sorry yours was painful but it made me feel a bit better! The poor consultant kept apologising for my distress and admitted it was a most difficult scope. A general anaesthetic would avoid all of this. I live in hope ...... smile

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 12:08:04

Yes I too would not want another without being Knocked out first ! ?

Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 12:29:52

I understand the risks with GA but for me they are no greater than the sudden movements i made whilst on the table. I nearly shot right off at times smile. I dont know why im smiling - i wasnt then!

harrigran Tue 16-Jan-18 13:11:19

I am having another one in a couple of weeks time and I will be opting for sedation as it is really stressful and the endoscope is passed through my stoma. The sedation on the NHS is not as good as a colonoscopy done privately, they are way more generous.

Nanooka Tue 16-Jan-18 13:18:12

Hi harrigran
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I dont have a private health plan and im unsure if any plan would cover routine colonoscopy for screening every few years. Its worth me asking the question if indeed sedation levels can be higher than NHS. Do you know any reason why this investigation is unlikely to be done under a GA? Good luck and hope all goes well.

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 18:09:39

Nanooka. They just don't like giving GA where they think it's not needed. That was my reply to the question anyway. I would have rather had gas and air myself because the sedative never touched me .

Lazigirl Tue 16-Jan-18 18:11:48

OMG. I have been referred for one and am now REALLY scared!!

NotAGran55 Tue 16-Jan-18 18:19:02

I had 2 with sedation and felt no pain at all , just a pushing sensation . I do have a high pain threshold though and a chilled attitude in advance , so perhaps being relaxed in the head (!) helps ?

Jamaloka Tue 16-Jan-18 18:20:21

Had one a couple of years ago as an investigative procedure. I was very apprehensive but for me it was no more than slightly unpleasant. I have no other problem with my colon, such as diverticulitis, so appreciate that others would have more pain. Just want to reassure anyone going for one soon, that it is not always awful.

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 18:22:28

Lazigirl don't be scared . I only felt the pain because of narrowing and scarring from diverticulitis. I've had 3 babies with no pain relief so I'm not a wimp. Most people I know find it a doddle .

rubysong Tue 16-Jan-18 18:25:57

I was told they don't do it under general anesthesia as they need to ask you to move at a certain point (as it goes round the corner). Don't worry too much Lazigirl you'll probably be fine with sedation. My advice would be to do the kind of 'chest breathing' you may have done during labour of it gets uncomfortable.

Lazigirl Tue 16-Jan-18 18:26:57

Will take all drugs offered and report back grin

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 18:34:29

?

annodomini Tue 16-Jan-18 18:43:08

I had both colonoscopy and gastroscopy in the same session. The sedative knocked me out completely and I never felt a thing! It worked as well as a GA and didn't make me sick.

CassieJ Tue 16-Jan-18 19:22:39

The thing is having a colonoscopy as an adult is they want you to get out quicker, so the lower the sedation, the sooner they can push you out. I would insist on the highest sedation they can give you.

I went for an endoscopy [ other end ] they gave me the lowest possible dose of sedation possible --- I couldn't go through with it.
My GP was furious as she said they they could have given a much higher dose and I wouldn't have known anything about it.

Go to see your GP and explain your concerns, they can they right to the endoscopy department where hopefully they will give you the proper sedation needed. Good luck.

JoyBloggs Tue 16-Jan-18 19:32:27

Lazigirl I had a colonoscopy recently and it was absolutely fine, so not everybody has problems. The sedative made me very dozy and, when I felt a very slight bit of discomfort, they immediately topped it up and I slept happily. When I woke up it was all over and I had been moved to a different room, where I enjoyed a tasty sandwich and a cup of coffee, which I was more than ready for after the starvation the day before. (I would just mention that the day before wasn't too much fun, 'purging' the system... not painful or anything, just a bit relentless if you get my drift!).

PamelaJ1 Tue 16-Jan-18 19:46:10

I had one a couple of years ago. No sedation, no problems. The Preparation wasn’t a bundle of joy though.
Apparently they give you shorts with a hole in now. (In Norfolk) I suppose to preserve your dignity ? More cost for the NHS and more rubbish to dispose of

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 19:55:54

Yes they do. Not very comfortable either .

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 20:02:31

And I'm from the Wirral. Must be a new thing.

MissAdventure Tue 16-Jan-18 20:26:51

shock all this talk of going round corners! I'm scared, and I'm not even having one!

NannyTee Tue 16-Jan-18 20:36:03

Well apparently they cut my corners haha couldn't get round them grin