Gransnet forums

Health

Headaches and coffee

(10 Posts)
Seaside22 Sun 21-Jan-18 17:02:48

Hi, I've been suffering bad headaches for the last three weeks including three migraines, finally went to the Dr on Friday, she checked my blood pressure, which was high, I'm already on medication.She suggested I keep a diary of headaches and BP for two weeks, also cut down on coffee. Now comes the peculiar bit, I love my coffee, and drink four cups of gold blend a day.I've just bought a new jar today, and noticed the current jar is decaf ! Can't believe I've not noticed , and been drinking it three weeks, about the same time the end aches started. Do you think I should carry on with the decaf now, as I did want you cut down anyway .

Nonnie Sun 21-Jan-18 17:17:50

Maybe your body reacted to the change and you need to give it time to get used to it.

If you are keeping a record of your BP apparently you should take it 4 times a day and work out the averages. This will show a truer picture than when you go to the GP as sometimes just going there makes people's BP rise, known as White Coat Hypertension.

Personally I wouldn't touch Gold Blend with a barge pole, its made by Nestlé! You could use this opportunity to change to a more ethical brand. Sorry, this is my soap box subject!

appygran Sun 21-Jan-18 17:27:22

Apparently caffiene withdrawel can cause headaches. If this is the cause it should settle down in the next few weeks. Stick with the decaf for now. In the past when I have stopped coffee drinking I have had headaches. I would be interested to know how you get on.

wot Sun 21-Jan-18 17:30:37

I think you can get headaches if you suddenly stop having caffeine.

Seaside22 Sun 21-Jan-18 17:31:39

Thanks for the replies.Yes I am going to stick with decaff now, may as well as I was hoping to reduce it anyway, hope I'm through the worst, BP has been ok today, and no headache.

MissAdventure Sun 21-Jan-18 17:37:40

I drink lots and lots off coffee every day, and I get awful headaches if I go too long without one. You've detoxed yourself, so stick with it.

Seaside22 Sun 21-Jan-18 17:43:05

Yes your right, I've withdrawn by default ! Can't believe it, make no wonder I've haven't felt well since Christmas, headaches, tiredness, irritable and palpitations which can all be part of withdrawel.I tried last year to at least cut down, but soon gave up as I felt so awful.Have to keep going now.

MissAdventure Sun 21-Jan-18 17:46:36

Cold turkey! Well done! smile

midgey Sun 21-Jan-18 18:30:09

Ah.....but.....decaf coffee gives me a terrible headache, apparently it is something to do with the process by which the caffeine is removed. When it happened to me they were the worst headaches I had ever had in my life!

Seaside22 Sun 21-Jan-18 18:36:19

Oh no midgey, just when I thought I was out of the woods.I'm going to continue having decaff in the morning and try and find something else to drink through the day, see how I go