Gransnet forums

Health

Head Lice

(15 Posts)
stonehaven48 Mon 16-Apr-18 19:58:43

My two grandaughters, 10 and 7, have had so many instances of head lice in the past year, I am beginning to wonder why this is. Their mother is using over the counter preparations, as soon as scratching starts but as soon as the school in Wargrave, Berkshire announces an oubreak of head lice they will have them.
Medicine has come so far but sadly not in the head lice department. I cannot remember experiencing anything like this when my own children were at school some 30/35 years ago - I can only remember them having head lice once or twice.
Any suggestions or thoughts would be much appreciated.

Eglantine21 Mon 16-Apr-18 20:02:38

“If you break their legs, they can’t lay eggs!”

The only real prevention is vigorous brushing and combing, morning and night. There is a reason the Victorians gave their hair 100 brushes, twice a day, and it wasn’t to make it shiny!

Eglantine21 Mon 16-Apr-18 20:04:39

Oh, your daughter may find an electronic lice comb a good thing. When I taught infants I used it twice a day. More if I itched....
It beeps when it finds a louse and stuns it so it can be brushed out. But it won’t kill the eggs.

phoenix Mon 16-Apr-18 20:22:45

Loads of conditioner on the hair, and a nit comb worked for my son's, but have to do it at least every other night.

jusnoneed Mon 16-Apr-18 20:39:36

Conditioner was always the thing that cleared them when my son had the horrible little devils. Buy cheapest, does job as well as any other, plaster it in the hair and leave it for ten mins or so. Comb through with nit comb, you will be amazed how many you get out! Rinse hair once you have cleared as many as you can find.
My heads itching now lol.

vampirequeen Mon 16-Apr-18 20:44:19

Lots of brushing and an electric zapper. It's very satisfying when you hear it click and you know you've zapped the little blood sucker.

Fennel Mon 16-Apr-18 20:46:21

It surprises me that with the current craze for long flowing hair more people don't have nits.
I often had them. Mum used to massage my hair with paraffin and wrap it in a towel for a few hours. Then shampoo .
Luckily no-one smoked in the house!

Farmor15 Mon 16-Apr-18 20:50:50

When my children got them ( multiple times) I found that I had to apply the lotion twice, about a week apart as eggs didn’t all get killed. Also, needed to leave lotion on longer than instructions said.
Plenty of fine tooth combing too, to check, even when no letter from school.

trisher Mon 16-Apr-18 20:51:10

Conditioner and a nit comb is the thing used every night. Always fasten long hair up for school, children do sit with heads close together sometimes. Take comfort in the fact that nits prefer clean hair.

Izabella Mon 16-Apr-18 21:27:37

........ And check everyone's heads. Including grandparents.

mumofmadboys Tue 17-Apr-18 04:22:36

I agree the best way is to wash the hair alternate nights and use lots of conditioner. Use nit comb and then rinse. The conditioner makes the hair too slippery for the lice to cling on. Continue this regime for two weeks.

Baggs Tue 17-Apr-18 05:59:57

Agreed. That regime even works without the conditioner. What you are doing is getting any hatched lice out before they lay more eggs (nits). I did it twice a day when my kids heads were affected: morning and evening and, as others have said, continued this for two weeks.

If you do the combing over a basin you will easily see what falls out. Metal nit combs are better than plastic ones because they are stronger, which matters if you've got kids with long, thick hair.

trisher Tue 17-Apr-18 20:52:46

Just wondered you mention their school, is it being pro-active about nits? It should have a nit-week asking all parents to treat their children's hair regardless of if they think their children have nits or not. Basically if you are treating and there are children who are not, the nits are just passed around. Everyone treats because you can just have the eggs and no trace otherwise.

Caledonai14 Tue 17-Apr-18 21:39:44

A couple of years back there was a nit outbreak at my grandbairns' school and though our children didn't get them that time, I was a bit itchy after babysitting and went to the chemist to get nit shampoo as a precaution. They wouldn't sell any of the preparations to me unless I had actually found a beastie! I asked my hairdresser to have a look and she found nothing, but, having four children herself, understood the need for precaution. She told me to nip into the biggest supermarket in a nearby town where I would be able to buy exactly the same treatment...no questions asked...no tiny proof required. I've always wondered why I couldn't be trusted locally, but I have heard of others having the same problems at small pharmacies.

Cressida Thu 19-Apr-18 23:05:59

Using tea tree shampoo & conditioner works as a repellent.