Gransnet forums

Health

Watery eyes

(19 Posts)
Alypoole Mon 25-Jun-18 08:23:36

Has anyone had their tear ducts unblocked? My eyes water as soon as I leave the house and sometimes in the house too. I have tried unblocking them by using a warm flannel and with anti histamine eye drops but nothing works. Is there any other solution?

BlueBelle Mon 25-Jun-18 08:32:34

I always have watery eyes especially if it’s a tiny bit windy as soon as I m outside they start streaming and I have to say to people I m really not crying Just thought it was me and have accepted it Never tried to do anything to stop it apart from keep tissues in my bag

Panache Mon 25-Jun-18 09:57:44

Bluebelle I am exactly the same...........quite embarrassed actually for always appearing to be crying!!!
Like yourself I haven`t even given it much thought having simply accepted it as "just another of life`s little trials!!"

Perhaps we should ask for help because it really is very unpleasant.

No help to you at all Alypoole...........sorry.

Oopsadaisy53 Mon 25-Jun-18 10:06:16

Surely if your tear ducts are blocked your eyes wouldn’t water? I’m taking antihistamine tablets at the moment as it stops my eyes watering, the drops don’t work for me either.

Elegran Mon 25-Jun-18 10:14:31

Maybe the blockage is in the passages that drain the tears from eyes into nose? Is it worth seeing your GP?

Farmor15 Mon 25-Jun-18 12:39:16

I was having problems with watery, stinging eyes and was getting a kind of red rash at corners of eyes from it. Mentioned at pharmacy and was told it sounded like dry eyes!! Apparently if not enough tears are produced, the irritation causes a different kind of watery fluid.

www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/d/dry-eye-syndrome/treating-dry-eye-syndrome.html

I was given ‘artificial tears’ - a kind of eye drops and they help. Problem is only intermittent but sometimes in the morning my eyes are sticky and stinging but the artificial tear drops deal with it.

DanniRae Mon 25-Jun-18 13:13:50

Hi Farmor - I suffer from dry eyes. Can you please let me know which artificial tears you use? Thank you

trisher Mon 25-Jun-18 13:35:13

I had these last year. Found it is pollen related. An anti-histamine every morning and sometimes drops as well, plus always wear sun glasses particularly when it is windy.

Bridgeit Mon 25-Jun-18 13:41:46

It is actually a condition called dry eyes ( I worked in a chemist). Your eyes are dry so the body makes more tears to protect them .
There are plenty of dry eyes drops to buy at the chemist, so don’t suffer any longer ?

Farmor15 Mon 25-Jun-18 13:55:24

The ones I used are Tears Naturale (Alcon). You can buy over the counter in chemist.
I see Bridgeit has given same suggestion.
It sounds strange when you have watery eyes to be told you are suffering from “dry eyes” but that’s the most likely cause. Very common as we get older, apparently.

Alypoole Mon 25-Jun-18 14:48:14

I’ve had the natural tears, been taking an anti histamine but at night and eye drops. Yes I wear sunglasses too. Doctor took very little notice. I found the local pharmacist far more helpful but haven’t found the solution yet. Apart from the discomfort I hate the fact my make up is washed away. Vain I know but they are so pale they disappear!

DanniRae Mon 25-Jun-18 16:19:42

Thank you Farmor for your prompt reply. I much appreciate it - I will look into getting some of these drops. Thanks again smile

pollyperkins Mon 25-Jun-18 16:38:02

I have this problem too and was told it was dry eyes by chemist. I have the itchy sore weeping eyes which get red and sore both on eyeball and on the lids (from constant wiping?) And my eylids/lashes are often gunged up in the mornings. I've tried all sorts of drops but the thing that works best for me is simple optrex eyewash. Alternatively when out and about I use some drops called Refresh Plus which come in single use sterile containers but i can only get these by ordering online. Different things seem to suit different people. It's one of these irritating things about old age and I'm lucky I have nothing worse I'm sure!

Lazigirl Mon 25-Jun-18 17:18:51

Optometrist told me to gently massage eye lids immediately above eyelashes, as this helps to lubricate aging eyes......and to use artificial tear drops x 3 times a day. I use viscotears.

trisher Mon 25-Jun-18 17:56:08

One of the things you need to work out (and it takes time) is if it is seasonal and related to high pollen counts, if it is, it is more likely to be an allergic reaction.

Alypoole Tue 26-Jun-18 09:15:06

It’s not seasonal, but I think the anti histamine drops help. Thank you for all your advice everyone x

NfkDumpling Tue 26-Jun-18 09:21:29

Yes, thank you all. I shall be off to the chemist to get tear drops! I’m really bad in winter when there’s a cold wind. My nose runs and the tears hit my specs and I can’t see where I’m going!

Iam64 Tue 26-Jun-18 09:29:43

I have dry eyes and use eye drops which help. I wear sun glasses, even in the winter, to protect my eyes as the cold and wind cause them to water. Having dry eyes increases the likelihood of weepy eyes Oopsadaisy.
You're also more likely to get infections so its worth getting it checked out if the chemist eye drops don't help

BlueBelle Tue 26-Jun-18 09:37:53

Mines not seasonal happens all year round doesn’t happen for me in the house only outside My Dad was the same used to come in from riding his bike with eyes running It’s also not age related it’s done it for me for a long long time well perhaps it is if you count 40/50 plus as age related I can’t remember it as a young person
Not sure about the drops as I wear contacts and it’s nothing to do with them either it doesn’t happen indoors with contacts in
Personally I ve always just thought it ‘was me’ like panache so will probably just keep a tissue in my bag I keep away from drops as my eyes are a mess anyway and don’t want to set anything else of