Gransnet forums

Health

Cider vinegar for arthritis?

(53 Posts)
BluebellGran Sat 07-Jul-18 20:48:45

I have osteoarthritis in my right hand - can’t bend my fingers very well - and I’ve been recommended to take a couple of tablespoons of cider vinegar in warm water every morning. The person who recommended it said it had helped her but the nhs and other sites say it’s an old wife’s tale. What’s the view of my lovely gransnet friends?

aggie Sat 07-Jul-18 20:59:17

It tastes vile and I threw it out , so can't really say , but I can't think how on earth it could help . I didn't buy it , DD1 got it for me

Namsnanny Sat 07-Jul-18 21:55:49

My Father thought it helped.
If you mix it with a little honey and water it is easy to take.

Might just have been placebo effect for Dad who knows?Worth a try I would have thought.

winterwhite Sat 07-Jul-18 22:20:18

Sounds as though it might take ages to work. Trouble with nhs sites is that they are only allowed to recommend remedies that have been proved to be effective. Makes sense up to a point, but no research is ever done on alternative medecines because no one can make a killing out of selling them. So no ‘proof’. Old wives were often right.

Nanabelle Sun 08-Jul-18 01:03:32

I have a book written by Margaret Hills - who was a nurse - called CuringArthritis the Drug-Free Way. She recommends organic cider vinegar, but just one dessertspoon in hot water, together with one teaspoon of clear honey, three times a day. That would be a lot more palatable than 2 tablespoons in one go! Cider vinegar is very good for you, so why not have a go. She also recommended black molasses - a spoonful in a little warm water - but my dad would have it straight from the spoon. Not very good for the teeth though!

Grandma70s Sun 08-Jul-18 04:02:39

If there was any evidence that it worked it would be available on the NHS. Don’t be fooled.

giulia Sun 08-Jul-18 04:15:43

I take one tbsp organic, non filtered, non pasteurised apple vinegar in a half litre glass of water, which I sip during the day.
It's not strong-tasting that way. Was also told NOT to take more than 1 tbsp.
I take it partly for my arthritic hands, but also to reduce cholesterol and it is good for oral hygiene and halitosis.
I do also take a 1000 capsule of Barrett's Cod Liver Oil per day for the same reasons (arthritis/cholesterol). My doctor approves.
I seem to be keeping my problems at bay.
I suggest you look up all the many benefits of organic apple vinegar on the internet. You will be amazed!
It's not expensive either so - why not?

OldMeg Sun 08-Jul-18 07:10:49

Certainly can’t do any harm. Buy the good kind (cloudy with ‘mother)

Apple cider vinegar with the mother is simply unrefined, unpasteurized and unfiltered ACV. The “mother” is a colony of beneficial bacteria, that helps create vinegar through a secondary fermentation process. Vinegar is high in acetic acid and other beneficial compounds.

Taken with a spoonful of honey in a glass of warm water first thing in the morning and again at night it is quite palatable.

pollyperkins Sun 08-Jul-18 07:18:26

I heard the same but white wine vinegar. Not tried it.

TwiceAsNice Sun 08-Jul-18 08:23:05

Cider vinegar is the worst thing I have ever tasted it made me gag. Try something else

Greyduster Sun 08-Jul-18 09:13:35

The explorer Sir Ranulf Feinnes swore by it. He took a preparation called Honeygar, having seen how cider vinegar and honey helped his mother’s arthritis, and said it helped him also. Can’t do any harm to try it.

Lazigirl Sun 08-Jul-18 09:25:16

It may be good for arthritis but bad for your teeth!

BluebellGran Tue 10-Jul-18 22:36:08

Thanks all, I’ll give it a go and report back!

watermeadow Wed 11-Jul-18 20:26:09

I have arthritis, very bad at the moment due to the heat. I don’t believe diet has anything to do with it but I’ve never liked anything acidic. I do eat some fruit and tomatoes but no wine, pickles, vinegar. Thevery thought of swallowing vinegar horrifies me.

adwlp57 Mon 23-Jul-18 01:50:47

I agree and take Bragg's with the mother - seems to keep my BP under control. Think you can get that in most grocery stores

BlueBelle Mon 23-Jul-18 07:19:16

I don’t think your argument holds any water at all Grandma 70 there are many natural products that aren’t tested by the NHS Testing things is a huge business and paid for by companies that are out to make big money out of pharmaceuticals, they wouldn’t be interested in something you can buy for pence out of the grocery store

PamelaJ1 Mon 23-Jul-18 08:22:59

Read arthritis :allergy, nutrition and the environment by Dr. John Mansfield.
I think you can get it as an ebook.

Sparklefizz Mon 23-Jul-18 08:33:56

Vinegar is too acidic and wrecks the enamel on your teeth. I had to have 4 expensive front crowns.

Sparklefizz Mon 23-Jul-18 08:36:00

watermeadow and anyone else with arthritis is advised to avoid the Nightshade Food Family (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, aubergines) as these exacerbate arthritis. Sweet potatoes are fine as they are a different food family.

Iam64 Mon 23-Jul-18 08:52:51

The advice from Rheumatologists is that if you find your joints hurt after eating/drinking particular foods, avoid them. We all respond differently to different foods, or medicines. Not every person with arthritis will react badly to the Nightshade family, in addition to which, a life without potatoes, peppers, tomatoes, aubergines and so on would be a bit limiting wouldn't it.
The other advice from consultant Rheumatologists is that all their medicines and dietary advice is very well researched - that'll do for me.

Teetime Mon 23-Jul-18 08:55:56

I dont see how you can 'cure' arthritis as its damage and deterioration, wear and tear- all you can do is alleviate the pain sadly and if possible replace a worn out joint. I have painful hands too not much that can be done expect continue to use them as much as you can and take regular prescribed meds.

Iam64 Mon 23-Jul-18 08:59:21

Teetime, I agree so far as osteo arthritis is concerned. RA is in a different league, disease modifiers can hold its damage for a while, until the patient finds they no longer work. One of the other joys of RA is that it ensures the patient is more likely to develop OA.
If it could be cured by a spoon full of cider vinegar a day, or avoiding spuds - wouldn't that be grand. I found red wine and red meat exacerbates mine so I generally avoid those things.

Anniebach Mon 23-Jul-18 09:22:21

Would it not make a stomach ulcer bounce ?

Lazigirl Mon 23-Jul-18 09:47:04

Yes it would Anniebach. I agree with Iam that dietary restrictions may help with RA which is an autoimmune disease, but not with OA, which I have. I try to exercise as much as possible, and losing weight helps with weight bearing if you have arthritic knees or hips. Otherwise it's strong pain killers for me. I wish it was as easy as a spoonful of something. In reply to Bluebelle I would agree that big pharma companies make far too much money, in particular out of the NHS but they do put money into research. If I was having treatment for a life threatening illness I would rather put my faith in medicines that have been through rigorous testing and double blind trials, than anecdotal advice about a miracle over the counter cure.

Anniebach Mon 23-Jul-18 09:53:05

Thank you Lazigirl