Gransnet forums

Health

How to prevent dementia

(46 Posts)
Maccyt1955 Wed 15-Aug-18 12:29:13

Is anyone else fed up with the endless advice on how to prevent dementia?
My mother who is now 88, was diagnosed with vascular dementia three years ago...almost overnight, after a series of small strokes.
It was absolutely devastating. There was no way this could have been ‘prevented’.
My mother ate well, kept active, and did not drink or smoke. I believe the reason she became ill, was because she had spent the previous five years grieving for my father, who had died in 2010. The grief never abated, and I believe the dementia was her way of coping with the loss...reality was too difficult for her to bear.

I will scream if I hear any more ‘experts’ pronounce they have the answer to this.

MawBroon Wed 15-Aug-18 12:32:20

Hear hear.
You can’t
The only way to be 100% sure of avoiding dementia is not to live that long.
sad
I hate the false hopes it raises and the underlying guilt perhaps which assails the partners of sufferers.
I think GN is entirely out of order to give articles such as these any space at all.

Baggs Wed 15-Aug-18 12:35:26

Agreed.

Luckygirl Wed 15-Aug-18 12:39:28

And another.

Life deals good things and crap -you just have to take what you get when it comes to dementia. You either get it or you don't.

kittylester Wed 15-Aug-18 13:27:39

I know the official line is that it isn't hereditary but two friends of mine, who are sisters, have Alzheimer's as did their mum and two dentists (brothers) who have vascular dementia as did their mother!

FlexibleFriend Wed 15-Aug-18 13:35:37

It really doesn't bother me but I guess it should as I have an auto immune condition that has already caused several strokes and is destroying my joints one by one and will lead to vascular dementia, deep joy. Seriously, I need to survive long enough first and secondly I've already put in place all the steps I can to ensure my kids don't struggle too much. Apart from that it's one day at a time. I asked my Gp what he thought and he said if he had to name one person not likely to develop it that would be me but he sees such a range of people who shouldn't have it and and those that should have it and don't and they all develop at such differing rates so all you can do is wait and see.

ninathenana Wed 15-Aug-18 13:39:48

I agree with all that's being said.
Sadly dying young does not stop you developing dementia. I used to chat on the AS forum to a man in his 40s.

OldMeg Wed 15-Aug-18 13:50:51

No one forces you to read these articles or follow their suggestions. There is evidence that poor lifestyle can lead to all sorts of conditions though.

Are you seriously suggesting that this advice should be withheld?

janeainsworth Wed 15-Aug-18 13:57:10

Which article?
Identifying risk factors isn’t the same as suggesting that diseases can always be prevented.
People still die of lung cancer, but many thousands of such deaths have been prevented by following the advice that smoking is a risk factor.

CariGransnet (GNHQ) Wed 15-Aug-18 13:58:07

Just to be clear - our page is about reducing the risk (not preventing) in circumstances where it is possible to do so and all information and advice is from the NHS. We make this clear on the page itself.

"While there's no guaranteed way to prevent dementia, you can take active measures to reduce your risk of developing..."

Dementia can't be prevented but, while our likelihood of developing it is mainly down to factors that we can't control, research has found that by adjusting the risk factors we can change, we could lower our risk of developing dementia by up to 30%. (etc)

OldMeg Wed 15-Aug-18 14:01:01

Maccy I’m sorry to read about your mother.

FlexibleFriend Wed 15-Aug-18 14:03:08

Well if eating well and keeping fit meant you were guaranteed a long and healthy life I'd live to be well over 100 and that's simply not going to happen. If I live to be 88 I'll think I've had a result, it's a good age, jeez I'll be lucky to see 70 and I'm not the only one. I can understand being diagnosed with dementia may be devastating, we all want to be healthy but at 88 it's hardly tragic.

gillybob Wed 15-Aug-18 14:03:41

How do we know that anything really reduces the risk? How do we know that it isn't just purely a matter of genetics and you will either get it or you won't?.... and that no amount of life style changes, giving up alcohol, staying active etc. will make any difference.

Maybelle Wed 15-Aug-18 14:09:33

Sometimes, and from a purely personal view point, foreknowledge of this diagnosis is almost too much to bear.
We were told a couple of years ago that DH was at increased risk of dementia, he had just been diagnosed with short term cognitive memory disorder.
Both being caused by a blow to the head years ago, apparently. Nothing we can or could do to change things.
Hard to live in the moment when you know what your likely future will be.

FlexibleFriend Wed 15-Aug-18 14:19:57

Assuming a number 39 bus doesn't get you first. It's not worth worrying about Maybelle it is what it is and it's the same for me it might never happen so really not worthy of worry, just live for today.

janeainsworth Wed 15-Aug-18 14:24:11

gilly How do we know that anything really reduces the risk?

Through epidemiological research - studying where diseases are prevalent and what factors link the people who suffer from them.

This is the story of Sir Richard Doll who identified cigarette smoking as the main cause of lung cancer.

www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.news-medical.net/amp/news/2005/07/25/11957.aspx

MawBroon Wed 15-Aug-18 14:25:14

The actual wording was that “prevention is never certain” which is not quite the same as “you can take active measures to reduce your risk of developing...etc”

Dementia affects 1 in 6 people over the age of 80. While prevention is never certain due to the varying effects that this condition has on different individuals, there are lots of little things that you can do now to help you reduce the risk of developing dementia later on in life
BTW I didn’t say anything about not living into old age but “the only sure way ...is not to live that long” - whatever the age.
My Dd’s MIL is younger than me (69) and was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s 4 years ago.
While a healthy lifestyle can enhance our older years, reduce the possibility of stroke/TIA ‘s and heart disease - the major killer, I remain unconvinced that there is as yet any evidence that we can reduce the likelihood of dementia whether it is by a healthy diet, learning a foreign language, doing a Sudoku a day, drinking red wine or coffe or NOT drinking wine or coffee.
A genetic predisposition seems much more plausible and research is still in its infancy.
Like it or not, articles under the Gransnet “banner” do carry extra weight and carry the GN endorsement.

OldMeg Wed 15-Aug-18 15:30:01

This quote is from the Alzheimer’s Research website

“There is a growing body of research that shows a link between certain risk factors (mainly the key cardiovascular risk factors) and dementia. Current evidence cannot
tell us how likely any one individual is to develop dementia based on their exposure to these risk factors, but it is important to make people aware of these potential risks and how they can mitigate them. We would like to see more public health messaging surrounding dementia and more proactive initiatives to reduce the possible risks.”

These are the experts. Along with early recognition of the various types of dementia, increased funding for research and development of new drugs and treatments, they highlight that there are increased risk factors linked to lifestyle and want more public awareness.

I’m with GN on this one.

gillybob Wed 15-Aug-18 18:35:10

Thanks for that Jane but maybe I didn’t make my point very well . I shall try again. ...

My meaning is, if one is going to suffer from dementia at some piint in the future (possibly family/genetic link) how can we know whether making lifestyle changes will change the prognosis ?

gillybob Wed 15-Aug-18 18:37:13

What Maw says in the paragraph that starts my Dd’s MIL

janeainsworth Wed 15-Aug-18 18:48:26

gilly ‘our genes, and our telomeres, are not necessarily our fate’ Dean Ornish.

Meaning that just because you may have a genetic predisposition to something, it doesn’t necessarily mean you will develop the condition during your lifetime.

More here about how lifestyle changes can affect the length of the telomeres (at the ends of chromosomes) and which are associated with ageing and degenerative conditions.

MawBroon Wed 15-Aug-18 18:54:07

Reading through the GN article, the two people I am closest to who both have Alzheimer’s tick all the boxes for reducing the chances of getting it!
Healthy diet ✔️
Fish oils and vitamins (same thing?) ✔️
Limited alcohol intake (actually none in one case) ✔️
Physical activity -a keen gardener and a keen walker ✔️
Challenge mind- one a university lecturer, one a primary teacher also bilingual in French ✔️
Active social life ✔️ Family and loads of good friends, both very social people
Managed stress levels? ✔️ Neither is the type of person to get particularly stressed
Age related? One diagnosed in their 70’s the other early/mid 60’s
I know this is anecdotal, but still maintain that research is still a long way off determining the causes of d mention andvwhether or not anything can stave it off.
All of the above are beneficial to everyday health, but don’t count on them beating dementia and don’t imagine that anything you could have done could have prevented it in a parent or partner.

MiniMoon Wed 15-Aug-18 22:15:11

My job was working in a Dementia unit in a medium sized nursing home. Our Residents came from all walks of life. We looked after a university professor, a clergyman, the gentleman who started up the local BBC radio stations, housewives, coalmen, school teachers. We even nursed one of Winston Churchill's war time secretaries, and a lady with her concentration camp tattoo.
I have long held the belief that dementia is a lottery. You succumb to it or you don't.
My Dad had dementia, my mother didn't. So I have a 50/50 chance of remaining me, if as I expect genetics has a part to play.

OldMeg Wed 15-Aug-18 22:18:19

Type 2 diabetics have an increased risk of developing dementia.

OldMeg Wed 15-Aug-18 22:20:00

With the huge rise in people presenting with Type 2, at increasingly early ages, this is worrying.