Gransnet forums

Health

How to stop catching bugs?!

(19 Posts)
Aggy21 Thu 13-Dec-18 16:15:33

We starting minding our lovely 11 month old grandson in September one day per week. We really enjoy helping out but he has caught so many bugs and illnesses since starting nursery ( 3 days a week). So far he’s passed on hand foot and mouth, colds, sticky eye, norovirus and sore throat. My daughter has taken some time off when he’s been really bad but other times we’ve had him extra days. We’re not that old, only in our 60s, but we do notice that each illness seems to knock us for six much more than when we were younger. Anyone got any good tips eg supplements to take, to avoid the germs? We do the usual scrupulous hand washing and get the flu jab.

tanith Thu 13-Dec-18 16:25:09

My 14 mth old Grt Granddaughter is the same since nursery, it’s one thing after another my poor GS and his wife are tearing their hair out as they paying for nursery and most weeks she’s sick for 2 or 3 days I’ve been helping out when I can I’ve been lucky so far. I would try multivitamins for yourselves and keep up the hand washing there’s not much else to do if you want to carry on helping out.

Sparklefizz Thu 13-Dec-18 16:30:19

Try a tincture called Echinaforce which is very powerful Echinacea and the elite of the different types you can buy. You can get it online or in Boots, and it has wiped out various infections for me when even antibiotics haven't done the trick, eg. cystitis, tonsillitis, etc.

I take a maintenance dose all through the 'flu season but increase the dose if I've been in contact with anyone ill, or if I think I might be going down with something.

I have a number of illnesses so try to keep myself well because it takes me ages to get rid of anything.

I also take high doses of Vit D and Vit C all the time as I don't want to have the flu jab, and use antibacterial hand gel, especially in crowded places like supermarkets.

Nanabilly Thu 13-Dec-18 16:38:14

When our gs first started nursery it was the same here . One virus after another and then another on top .
At a go visit for a throat virus I mentioned it to gs gp and was told paranormal and can last up to 5 years while he builds up his immune system . It only lasted 18 months thankfully.

Lazigirl Thu 13-Dec-18 17:00:26

Our grandchildren were similar when they started nursery but it's necessary for them to build immunity to many common infections, and it can be quite debilitating whilst it lasts and tiring for parents. I guess we pick up these bugs more when we age as our immune system is not so robust, so as grandparents we also suffer. Now ours are older they don't pick up so many infections thankfully. Despite some swearing by vitamins and herbal remedies there is no good evidence that they work (see Cochrane reviews) but there's no harm giving it a go. There is some evidence for immunisation such as flu vacc. so that can be worthwhile. Children shouldn't have Echinacea because of risk of allergic reactions.

phoenix Thu 13-Dec-18 17:21:04

Not sure how I would feel about having a paranormal grandson tchwink

sodapop Thu 13-Dec-18 17:25:26

phoenix grin

harrigran Thu 13-Dec-18 19:26:35

We have had anything and everything from GC, the only things we have escaped are nits and verrucas.

Sparklefizz Thu 13-Dec-18 19:31:57

Lazigirl I wasn't recommending Echinaforce for the child, but the OP asked what they could take for themselves.

Even conventional doctors recommend various vitamin and mineral supplements, depending on the ailment. We all need more Vit D in the northern hemisphere during the winter unless we can afford some winter sunshine, and there is plenty of evidence that foods are not as nourishing as they used to be due to intensive farming methods and use of chemicals, plus people don't always eat the best of diets.

I have illnesses where I have needed additional nutritional support for a number of years, and my consultants have always advised this, Cochrane reviews or no Cochrane reviews, plus I've had years of studying nutrition and I've seen results.

Melanieeastanglia Thu 13-Dec-18 23:53:31

Try drinking plenty of clear fluids to ward off illness or get rid of bugs if you catch them.

I do realise this won't cure serious illnesses but I think it can help with nasal problems, coughing and stomach problems.

Dukeybabe62 Fri 14-Dec-18 11:19:41

I can sympathise Aggy21 We look after our DGS one day a week, and he has also picked up lots of things from nursery, he goes 2 days a week.
Fortunately he has not passed on a lot to us, just the odd cold. I take Berocca over the winter months and use a hand sanitising gel after washing hands. Also take Vit D and have had the flu jab. Am sure it will get better as he gets older and his immune system builds up. Hope this helps

Aggy21 Fri 14-Dec-18 14:14:04

Thanks so much everyone for your very helpful suggestions. I’ll certainly be trying some of them. As you say, it should get better as he gets older ???

EllanVannin Fri 14-Dec-18 16:38:22

Children are the worst when it comes to harbouring bugs and germs. Whatever you catch from them you always end up feeling grim especially as you get older.
Home-made chicken soup is the best cure-all.

Lisagran Fri 14-Dec-18 16:44:32

Someone recommended elderberry juice to me, to ward off coughs and colds. I bought some (Biona Organic elderberry syrup) and have about a tablespoon in water each day - no colds yet smile

midgey Fri 14-Dec-18 17:10:19

I think lots of fresh air and exercise helps, just a quick walk helps everything including ones temper! But..I do realise that logistics often mean there simply isn’t time.

grandtanteJE65 Fri 14-Dec-18 17:48:28

Hand washing is fine, but please do remember to wash your door handles too, as they can harbour quantities of germs , and air your house thoroughly at least once a day.

I read somewhere on the Internet that the average mobile phone harbours more germs than most toilet seats! I don't know if it is true, but it makes you think, doesn't it?

BBbevan Fri 14-Dec-18 18:53:26

No colds since I retired from teaching. Then I usually had a corker in October. So you can draw your own conclusions as to how to avoid illness. Avoid children.
I would never do that though I take my chances and have as much fun with them as possible.

Lazigirl Fri 14-Dec-18 19:25:22

I think hand sanitisers are a great idea and kill most, but not all viruses and bugs. For effective hand washing it takes 30 seconds apparently but sanitisers work quicker. I always use them when away from home.

Sparklefizz Sun 16-Dec-18 13:50:45

Our local pharmacy, opposite the doctors' surgery, has a large poster at about chest level, just at the point where you would push the door open, saying "300 people push this door open every week".

Most of them have come across from the surgery with their various bugs and viruses, and I don't want to catch them, so I have got into the habit of having a squirt of sanitiser before I open the door.