Gransnet forums

Health

Could this be GORD?

(28 Posts)
Aglassofroseplease Sun 17-Feb-19 09:31:10

Are my symptoms GORD or what? I'm worrying myself sick and googling and thinking the worst. I've got an appointment for an endoscopy this Saturday coming.

I've had digestion problems for years and I usually manage it myself by avoiding certain foods etc but it's been getting worse. I'm full of wind, bloating and gurgles and I get acid indigestion and I've IBS too. If I eat a largish meal I find it really hard to swallow it as if my oesophagus has closed up. So I avoid going out for meals etc without taking gaviscon.

I've tried to deal with it myself by looking for triggers. it but it seems to have flared up recently, especially since after Xmas when I've had a bad cough/cold virus for about 5 weeks. Could it be connected?

Does anyone have similar symptoms?

harrigran Sun 17-Feb-19 09:39:12

I had exactly the same symptoms and mine was caused by a bowel problem.
Don't overthink this at this stage, have the endoscopy and take it from there.

Charleygirl5 Sun 17-Feb-19 09:44:47

What is GORD?

Cherrytree59 Sun 17-Feb-19 09:45:50

I hope you get some answers from your endoscopy.
Please don't Google you will drive yourself mad.
I suffer from GORD brought on by various foods and also bending over eg when gardening .
I have some of your symptoms.
I also had a cough which stopped when I was prescribed Omniprozal(sp?)

Good luck shamrock

Gonegirl Sun 17-Feb-19 09:57:46

I recognise much of that. Have you been prescribed Omeprazole?

You don't say how old you are but I think ageing has a lot to do with this stuff. My Gerd (Gord by another name) started when I was in my sixties. I doubt you have anything much to worry about. It's a nuisance more than anything. smile

EllanVannin Sun 17-Feb-19 09:59:36

I haven't heard of this nor looked up about it but the condition you describe sounds like an anxiety problem ? A very " mind over matter " experience where a lot of air is swallowed causing all the noises and rumbles and the more you think about it the worse it gets.
Try some deep breathing right from the gut ( diaphragm ) then exhale. Try not to overbreathe.
Also the swallowing/food sticking sounds like part and parcel of a nervous debility. It's not uncommon, but obviously the endoscopy will rule out anything sinister.

PECS Sun 17-Feb-19 10:05:58

and the more you worry the worse it gets.
Eat bland food, avoid yeast & alcohol & have natural bio yogurt. Also try some pro biotic capsules from Holland & Barrat. But just wait until all tests done and then disciss with someone who is experienced..the consultant.

MiniMoon Sun 17-Feb-19 10:43:40

I think that I have a lot of the symptoms of Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disease. I manage it myself by cutting out triggers in my diet. Worst triggers for me are cooked tomatoes, onions, and sadly, fish and chips from the chippy, I'll never eat those again, ever!
I have an intermittent cough which I believe is connected to GORD. It's when the stomach acid reflux causes irritation in the oesopagus.
Don't worry too much, have the endoscopy and take it from there.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 10:43:40

I have those same issues a lot, caused mostly by my own inability to eat sensibly, and not taking prescribed meds blush
I have a hiatus hernia.
As has been said, its a nuisance rather than anything to panic about.
It may have been worse for you since eating rich foods over Christmas.
Cheese is a swine for me, although I do still eat it.
I hope all goes well for you. flowers

BlueBelle Sun 17-Feb-19 11:44:29

Sometimes my food feels stuck in my craw but years ago I had an endoscopy and they told me I had pockets like diverticulosis but higher up I also have a valve that opens and shuts in the wrong order so I guess that could give the ‘full to the brim’ feeling too I accept it and the extra burps (hidden well) and try not to think about it You can scare yourself to death if you google stuff

Aglassofroseplease Sun 17-Feb-19 11:47:57

Thank you all so much ? I’m am certainly over thinking things but it’s made worse because my first husband had cancer of the oesophagus and died

Yesterday I had a bad episode - we were having a pub lunch and I was eating slowly and doing ok then I got so I couldn’t swallow so tried drinking some water, which usually help it and I couldn’t get it down me and I coughed and brought it up again. I was embarrassed as people saw me and brought me water. My oh was really upset to see me like this
Im 67 going 68 but I always see myself as fit and healthy - apart from having gained weight in the past year. I rarely go to doctors as I always think I can treat myself but I can seem to sort this out. I agree that worry is making it worse but it’s chicken and the egg - which came first? I think having that horrible hacking cough bug since Xmas might have made it worse too.
Ok I’ll try to keep calm and wait and see what come comes of the endoscopy

B9exchange Sun 17-Feb-19 11:51:26

Good luck with the endoscopy, hope you are having it under sedation? Unlikely to be more than GORD, but only an endoscopy can put your mind at rest. By this time next week you will know where you stand, don't try and overthink (or Google!) it.

PECS Sun 17-Feb-19 11:53:54

A friend of mine had that issue where she was unable to swallow and often had to leave the table to get rid of whatever felt stuck. She is absolutely fine now.. think it was treated with medication. Certainly not any operation!

cavewoman Sun 17-Feb-19 12:08:51

Omeprazole has cured me of all the above symptoms.

I was found to have a hiatus hernia last year after undertaking an endoscopy. Chose not to have sedation and was in and out in under an hour. Not a pleasant experience but doable.
If I miss taking the omeprazole tablet in the morning I really do suffer all day.

Gonegirl Sun 17-Feb-19 12:58:15

Yep! Weight gain has definitely aggravated mine. shock And being off colour in myself makes mine worse.

Can I be nosey and ask what dose of Omeprazole others take? I upped mine from 10 mgs to 20, and the doctor asked me if that was enough. I have no idea how high a dose he was ready to give me! grin

NanTheWiser Sun 17-Feb-19 13:14:46

High carb foods were my trigger, potatoes, bread, and pastry etc. I started eating low carb a few years ago, and I don't have much of a problem these days.

Jane43 Sun 17-Feb-19 13:33:27

My husband took Omeprazole for years, I believe he started with 20mg then managed to reduce it to 10mg. It took us a while to realise that the cough that was keeping him awake at night was in fact due to acid reflux and that is when he went to the GP and was prescribed the Omeprazole. He probably would have stayed on it indefinitely but he Changed his diet to low carb because of a Type 2 Diabetes diagnosis. With a substantial weight loss and the different diet the acid reflux is a thing of the past and he has stopped taking the Omeprazole. He did previously eat a lot of pastry, biscuits and cake and cutting those out has made a huge difference to his health.

My D H also suffers from occasional choking which we have never connected with the reflux problem. It is very frightening when it happens but he has learnt how to manage it. He has had an investigation and also a swallow test at the hospital but they only gave him soft foods to swallow which don’t cause a problem. Despite his change of diet he still gets the choking problem occasionally.

Bathsheba Sun 17-Feb-19 13:43:35

Your symptoms sound very much like mine were before I was diagnosed with a sliding hiatus hernia. I used to feel as if I was choking, as everything seemed to just go into spasm and close up.
I remember being in a restaurant when I had a particularly bad episode and I drank some water, which just made it worse because there was nowhere for it to go! I rushed to the Ladies and stood choking and spluttering till I got it under control. I was afraid to finish my meal after that sad
Once I'd got the diagnosis, following an endoscopy, I was prescribed Omeprazole which has completely calmed it all down. However, because I'm not really happy taking this permanently (though I don't have much choice really sad), I have managed to cut back to only taking one every other day instead of daily, and this is working fine for me.
Good luck with your endoscopy, I really hope you find some answers.

Bathsheba Sun 17-Feb-19 13:46:09

Gonegirl I take 20mg of Omeprazole every other day. I should be taking it daily, but I decided to cut down and see if it was still OK. It is!
I guess I could ask my GP to reduce my prescription to 10mg daily....

Aglassofroseplease Sun 17-Feb-19 14:05:25

Thanks everyone that’s very reassuring. I have a cough and I seem to choke easy - I just have to swallow the wrong way and I’m off coughing and spluttering

At least with the endoscopy I’ll get a diagnosis and a treatment plan - I hope.
I would like to try and manage it myself through diet etc with the help of medication if at all possible x

NanTheWiser Sun 17-Feb-19 17:48:16

Also, post nasal drip can cause throat problems (I think I have this problem at the moment) as it inflames the back of the throat causing swelling. As you had a bad cold, this could be another cause.

MissAdventure Sun 17-Feb-19 17:56:16

I think I have that, too.
I'm turning into a hypochondriac reading this thread!
My hiatus hernia is a sliding one, too.

Aglassofroseplease Sat 23-Feb-19 13:07:52

Hi
I had the gastroscopy this this morning. They numbed my throat but i still gagged when they put it in.

It seems from the initial diagnosis that my oesophagus is inflamed and I’ve got GORD and a hiatus hernia and been given 4 weeks of omaprazole and I’ve to go back in 4 weeks and see how it’s going.

I think it’s been exacerbated by having a long drawn out building project on our house and not having a working kitchen for some of this time. Also I had an awful hacking cough/cold virus after Xmas - as my mum would say - I’m probably run down!

The advice I got from the hospital is to eat little and often and avoid spicy and acidic foods. Oh, and to try to lose weight!
!
I’ve been worrying all week about it thinking the worst. I’ve just got to watch my diet and I’ll try losing some weight and getting fitter.

Thanks for all your replies they really did help to reassure me.

MissAdventure Sat 23-Feb-19 13:13:33

Oh, I'm so glad (well, not 'glad', exactly) that you're just joining the ranks of the hernia people, and nothing more serious. thanks

Farmor15 Sat 23-Feb-19 15:05:08

Glad to hear gastroscopy went OK. From symptoms you had described, I thought it might be hiatus hernia, which I have - very common. I’ve found bread and pastry to be the worst triggers- also coffee and alcohol. I was prescribed lanzoprazole, similar to Omeprazole and it worked well until I started getting increasingly worse diarrhea ☹️. Now I control my symptoms with Ranitidine (Zantac) and Omeprazole now and then - discussed with doc.
Long term use of PPIs (Omeprazole and similar drugs) has some negative effects, though very useful short term. You’ll probably notice your symptoms improve greatly after a few days.