Gransnet forums

Health

GLA:D

(7 Posts)
SueH49 Fri 15-Mar-19 05:44:34

Hello everyone, I'm a relatively new (Australian) Gransnetter, although have a few replies to posts up my sleeve.

I'm wondering if anyone here has any experience with the GLA:D programe (Good Living with Arthritis :Denmark)
Briefly this is an exercise program (founded in Denmark) designed to reduce the number of surgeries dealing with hips and knees. Six weeks of 2 x 1 hour exercise sessions.
I am at present doing this program, just two more sessions to go, and I cannot recommend it enough if anyone has the opportunity to do it. The improvement in my pain level and mobility is significant. Even if at the end of it you still need surgery/replacements the program will have greatly improved your rehabilitation potential.
Interested to know if anyone else has heard of or participated in the program and how you feel about it.

Charleygirl5 Fri 15-Mar-19 10:20:55

Sorry, I have never heard of it. I have had both knees replaced over the years and do not intend to have any more surgery.

silverlining48 Fri 15-Mar-19 10:52:14

Will look into it as I have a knee which will need replacing, thanks fir the info.

Charleygirl5 Fri 15-Mar-19 10:56:04

silverlining do not leave it too long because it makes it more difficult surgically.

silverlining48 Fri 15-Mar-19 10:59:20

Thanks charleygirl. I have been told I need a replacement but it’s up to me to decide exactly when I can’t stand the pain. I am managing with painkillers but if there’s a long waiting list....

SueH49 Fri 15-Mar-19 11:39:16

Charleygirl, while the GLA:D program is designed to be the first line of treatment one of the benefits is that if there is not enough improvement and one still needs surgery the strength gained by the exercises will greatly assist rehabilitation and recovery after surgery.

Silverlining my pain level has reduced greatly in just 5 weeks of being on the program and I have reduced my medication from daily to two to three times a week.

I'm not sure if the program is available in the UK at this stage but it is worth speaking to a Physiotherapist to find out. This link may be of interest.
myknee.trekeducation.org/glad-exercise-program/

tanith Fri 15-Mar-19 12:23:47

I have both hips replaced but those exercises look good for just keeping the joints strong. My left knee is getting painful so may give them a try. Thanks for sharing the link.