Gransnet forums

Health

Hearing aids problem please

(7 Posts)
Alexa Wed 14-Aug-19 12:06:33

The health auhority here has outsourced audiology to SightSavers. SightSavers won't continue using NHS prescribed hearing aids. I needed my hearing aids serviced cleaned etc. But I had to get SightSavers's own preferred make of hearing aids and a new hearing test first.

SightSavers's hearing aids I've had to go back to them two times after the initial fitting and testing to get them adjusted and they are still distorted sound . So I still use the old NHS hearing aids which were right at first fitting.

Has anyone else had trouble with SightSavers's hearing aids? How many times should I expect to have to go back to their shop , a journey by taxi, before I give up on them?

kittylester Wed 14-Aug-19 12:52:52

I'd check with whoever referred you initially and get their opinion. It seems weird that the people commissioned to provide nhs aids, don't.

Alexa Wed 14-Aug-19 19:11:49

The NHS trust did explain in a letter they were outsourcing audiology to SpecSavers, Kittylester. I suppose it saves money.

Alexa Wed 14-Aug-19 19:14:25

Sorry I got the name of the shop wrong. It's SpecSavers, that one with the funny ads "I should have gone to Specsavers" The one with the shepherd who shaved his sheepdog.They now do hearing aids as well as specs.

fizzers Wed 14-Aug-19 19:16:41

My late mother gor her hearing aids from Specsavers and she had to go back a few times to get them 'fine tuned', after that they were fine

kittylester Wed 14-Aug-19 20:03:47

But, if the nhs is outsourcing them to Specsavers then Specsavers should provide NHS aids.

Alexa Thu 15-Aug-19 11:02:28

Kittylester I asked the audiologist about this and he said the Specsaver aids were the "same technology" as the NHS brand. Actually the Specsaver ones are a very reputable name in hearing aids and other tech.

Fizzers, "after that they were fine" is what I like to hear! Thanks.