Gransnet forums

Health

Kidney Scarring

(10 Posts)
StMary Sat 19-Oct-19 16:01:04

Well where do i start , always had urine problems as a kid , wetting myself , weeing the bed cystitis , urine infection , kidney infections ..Then 10 years ago i was getting urine infections every 3 months , then 4 years ago every month. Had many ultrasounds and blood tests ,kidneys working well and then they found a cysts on left kidney and right kidney not in the right place , but working ..then the cysts went on his own and still not come back .I then in June had a op on spine to try and remove two very large cysts off the spine and decompression all went well , but caught a urine infection from the catheter , which just refused to go after many antibiotics ..so they did me another ultrasound on Kidneys and bladder , there they found scarring on the left kidney .but seems normal.I was what .. I have had back pain for a couple of weeks thinking it's another urine infection , this time clear .The Urologist im seeing end of month to have a bladder stretch and biopsy ..But this was booked some 10 months ago because he said it was Interstitial cystitis . would he go ahead with this now knowing i have this scarring on Kidney .Im scared witless and don't know what to think . scared if my kidney stops working , anyone on here had the same thing . I'm due to see my Neurosurgeon on wed to see if my spine is ok and hoping the cysts have not filled back up ..Its all go here and not sleeping well , anyone had this happen to them too , please help ..

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 19-Oct-19 16:49:12

I'd had a reoccurring infection when I was 45.

When I was 20 I started with cystitis during pregnancy. It flared up again during 2nd pregnancy and did eventually stop.

So at 45 I was worried when it started again. I was found to have an infected ureter to that kidney. I was close to the bladder becoming infected to. I decided to have the kidney and ureter out. Big scar and 7 days in hospital. So glad I had it done. My other kidney is fine and always has been. Having the other one out has protected my bladder.

I made the decision of having it removed knowing my other kidney was OK. Like hundreds / possibly thousands of other people you can survive and live healthily with one kidney. I'm now 70.

Best advice I can give is don't get dehydrated. Drink plenty of water. I do.

StMary Sat 19-Oct-19 18:03:02

Thank you for your reply , just reading your message ..makes me happy to know your doing great .. I guess i'll have to wait to see what they find will i when i go and have the bladder biopsy , Maybe he will decide when he sees me on the 29th Oct ..If i thought for one minute i had the same thing I'd also go for it ..I have constant bladder Urine infections ..sick of them .. Did you have scarring on kidney

WOODMOUSE49 Sat 19-Oct-19 20:38:13

StMary. From what I can remember back in 1970s the cause of my cystitis was not clear. My kidney was very small and I was on a variety of antibiotics to shift the infections. They found my other kidney was very large but not causing me any problems.

Being pregnant certainly brought it on and I was rarely clear of cystitis and back ache through the pregnancy.

Into 1990 I was suffering from a lot of stress and the infections started again. It was a quick decision to have the kidney removed.

You say your other kidney is working 100%. Good luck on the 29th.

StMary Mon 21-Oct-19 17:37:54

Oh wow , you have just said what i thought ..in the 70s they thought we were sleeping round , even virgins ha ha , that made me laugh , once in leeds hospital and i heard this been said ..God if they only knew ..it isn't .
I'm hoping on the 29th they tell me good news ..Like you say , if one Kidney is working and the other is causing problems , whip it out ..I'm always scared that if they did that and the other kidney started playing up , am i done for ..Reading that you and another lady has hers out and lived very happy with one . Our oldest lass was born with one kidney that works and the other one not in the right place doing nothing .and she never has a problem ..Thank you for your reply

fiorentina51 Mon 21-Oct-19 17:56:20

Polycystic kidney disease runs in my family through the female line. My grandmother had a kidney removed when she was 63 and lived a very active life until she died aged 87. My mum was less fortunate as she had other health problems but her sister, who has cysts on one kidney, is still going strong at 89. I hope all goes well for you. ?

Missfoodlove Mon 21-Oct-19 20:26:20

I’ve had a similar history with UTI’s etc.
I have one kidney with poor function and scarring.
I have also had severe infections and kidney stones.
After 2 years of repeated infections and course after course of antibiotics I started to take D Mannose.
The improvement is incredible!
Read up on it, it’s a natural supplement.

StMary Tue 22-Oct-19 16:06:03

Hi guys just read you comments ..I know you hear of people having allsorts done and still here and then someone else like your dear mam went younger ..
I also tried D mannose but felt after 5 months it wasn't doing anything , Buy I'm still not sure if they were or not now ..Where did you get your D mannose from Missfoodlove ..Im using hrt vaginal cream for 3 months now and the last 2 urine tests came back clear ....So now i have read all your comments , it make me less scared and face what's to come and keep going .I'm so grateful to all your comments

Missfoodlove Mon 28-Oct-19 22:54:27

I get the D Mannose on Amazon. I also use the cream.
First sign of infection or cystitis its bicarbonate of soda and up the d Mannose to 3 a day.

BrentFoust Wed 30-Oct-19 09:23:31

I had kidney stones. The kidney stones had blocked my ureter. Blockage of ureter result in kidney scarring. Consult nephrologist for appropriate treatment.