Gransnet forums

Health

menopause, constipation, back ache

(21 Posts)
ForestsLakesandMountains Fri 17-Jan-20 09:49:37

for past 2 and a half years I have become very constipated (had routine colonoscopy at 55 which showed no abnormalities). I dont take any medication and am otherwise healthy. I was getting lower backpain and found when I took laxatives to get rid of the constipation, the back pain vanished. Does anyone else get lower back pain rather than abdominal pain when constipated? Also, I have a healthy diet, exercise and drink lots of water - that used to keep me regular but now the only thing that works is extra strength sennacot which I obviously dont want to rely on. What could I try that is healthy and natural? please dont recommend linseeds as I had to take shed loads before they worked which I found hard to stomach. I have tried syrup of figs which doesn't work when I take at the recommended dose.

shysal Fri 17-Jan-20 10:07:38

Since trying a low carb diet I am sometimes constipated. On those days I eat a handful of prunes and dried apricots, 3 or 4 of each. Works a treat!

glammanana Fri 17-Jan-20 10:35:10

I agree with shysal I munch on dried prunes every other day they keep me regular no problems at all.

Alexa Fri 17-Jan-20 10:50:53

I recommend regular Laxido instead of regular Sennacot.

Laxido acts by making the inside of the colon wetter which softens the faeces. I have taken Laxido daily for years after radical colon surgery. When I eat a really good diet I need less Laxido and am now down to half a sachet per day. I get Laxido from a GP's prescription.

Sennacot is a good laxative. It works by irritating the bowel and making it contract better, It's better for your health, whenever possible, to have soft stools that pass out of your body with ease, than to irritate your bowel.

Drink a lot of water, Eat a lot of whole veg and fruit.

Alexa Fri 17-Jan-20 10:52:05

PS there are other trade names for the same stuff as Laxido. Your pharmacist will know.

ForestsLakesandMountains Fri 17-Jan-20 12:07:59

thank you all

@Alexa, I also find laxido helpful however it makes my stomach really noisy therefore I avoid it due to the job I do

Auntieflo Fri 17-Jan-20 12:29:51

If you like Liquorice, as I do, eating a couple of pieces is usually worth trying.

travelsafar Fri 17-Jan-20 13:27:03

Pears are very good too. They are very fiberous, also parsnips, try steaming some and adding to every meal. They can make you a bit windy but they usually help.

ForestsLakesandMountains Fri 17-Jan-20 14:46:25

@Auntieflo do you mean chew a liquorice root or liquorice from the sweet shop?

Esspee Fri 17-Jan-20 14:51:38

All bran, and prunes or figs plus lots of water and more fruit and veg with less meat is the natural way to go.
Once you start taking artificial medication your body seems to need it.

NanTheWiser Fri 17-Jan-20 16:55:27

Like shysal, after going low carb, I too got more constipated. I use inulin: www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/bioglan-inulin-powder-60009726?skuid=009726&utm_campaign=shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7Ify4YuL5wIVjbTtCh0m8Qs5EAQYASABEgIBpPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds which is easily dissolved in tea or coffee and is tasteless, and also take a magnesium supplement befor bed. These are usually enough to "get me going".

M0nica Fri 17-Jan-20 17:55:02

Up your fibre and fluid intake and walk a lot.

I had a bowel compalint as a child that left me prone to condtipation, but I have always managed it by consuming lots of fibre rich foods. 8-10 portins of fruit and veg a day. Have a drink every few hours, and walk a couple of miles a day.

Framilode Fri 17-Jan-20 18:31:51

I get lower back pain when constipated. I have always had a problem with constipation and found the yoghourt 'Activia' to be the best thing.

Jane43 Fri 17-Jan-20 22:54:17

I too have a problem with constipation which is worse since I developed a prolapse, a rectocele. I also get more backache than I used to. I eat lots of fruit and vegetables, eat seeded bread and drink lots of water but nothing helps. The doctor recommended Laxido which has been very effective but if I stop taking it the constipation returns. I do find walking helps move things along but with a prolapse it isn’t always possible.

ForestsLakesandMountains Fri 17-Jan-20 23:05:36

@Jane do you find laxido gives you a really noisy stomach? I cant take it when im working

Alexa Sat 18-Jan-20 20:28:03

I stopped using Lactulose because it gave me flatulence Laxido acts differently from Lactulose, and Laxido never gives me flatulence.

ethanbrody02 Tue 06-Sep-22 22:05:26

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

BigBertha1 Tue 06-Sep-22 22:15:18

Dates!! Apricots not fully dried any stone fruit really

25Avalon Tue 06-Sep-22 22:21:42

Don’t forget rhubarb.

JaneJudge Tue 06-Sep-22 22:56:38

hot cooked fruit but obviously not before you are about to leave for for anywhere

Pixxie7 Tue 06-Sep-22 23:30:18

I think you will find it’s that good old thing a prolapse. I have recently been in hospital with a broken bone in my back and have noticed that the pain is much worse when I am constipated,