Gransnet forums

Health

Sailed through menopause

(105 Posts)
grannymy Fri 17-Jan-20 12:17:55

Often when reading posts about women who have had a hellish time going through their menopause it makes me feel exceptionally lucky. I don't believe I had any symptoms whatsoever. I also received a partial hysterectomy because I had a cyst on an ovary and was warned that afterwards I might need to take HRT. I had no need to as I didn't feel any different. Anyone else like me and had no symptoms?

Dee1012 Fri 17-Jan-20 13:06:27

I had no problems/symptoms at all.
In fact, I can recall a conversation with a GP in my local practice who was quite insistent that I'd experienced something!
My periods had always been heavy but my last one was worse than normal, no change in length etc. I did think if that continued, a trip to the GP would be needed.....then nothing at all, it just stopped.
I was 46.

Eglantine21 Fri 17-Jan-20 13:14:37

I had an early menopause in my forties when I was very busy with teenage children traumas, a full time breadwinner job, a very ill husband, parental death and illness.

I didn’t even notice until I had to pack a bag to go away, thought about whether to take Tampax and then thought”When was the last time....?”

Months before. That was that.

Eglantine21 Fri 17-Jan-20 13:16:34

Oh the doctor gave me a helpful video that began “ Do not think that the menopause means that your life is over. There are still many things you can enjoy.......”?

annsixty Fri 17-Jan-20 13:21:57

I thought my new life had just started, I was so relieved and happy.

NannyJan53 Fri 17-Jan-20 13:29:36

I didn't have any symptoms whatsoever, so consider my self very lucky.

On the other hand when my periods started aged 15, I suffered every month with incredible pain. I used to go white and had to lie down. Doctor said it would ease after having a baby which it did. In fact it stopped altogether.

Jane10 Fri 17-Jan-20 13:36:19

I had no problems either after a final very heavy period for which I was given medication to stop it. Then all fine.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 17-Jan-20 13:52:44

No probs whatsoever just a few night sweats few hot flushes certainly no mood swings nothing. Was advised to try Hrt by dr. On which I said whatever for. My periods stopped at 47. But can honestly say never ever had problems with periods when I’m told about other people that do have problems for years I feel sorry for them

grannymy Fri 17-Jan-20 14:08:41

I'm glad I'm not the only one! Sometimes when I tell people I had no symptoms they sort of look at me in disbelief.

Nannyjane I was exactly like you. I began my period when I was about twelve and the pain was unbelievable. I used to feel like passing out. I would be white as a sheet and be hanging over the toilet bowl vomiting with the pain. Thank goodness those days are very long gone.

Grannyknot Fri 17-Jan-20 14:35:58

grannymy me too. I sailed through menopause and had very mild symptoms.

annodomini Fri 17-Jan-20 15:21:23

I had a few sweaty nights, but it was a hot summer so may well have been nothing to do with the menopause. Nothing to speak of after that. I was 43.

M0nica Fri 17-Jan-20 15:57:25

Another who sailed through with little or no problems. A bit of flooding - that proved to be fibroids, no treatment necessary and that was it. I was 51.

I read somewhere that 40% of women have few if any symptoms.I have every sympathy for those who do or have had problems, but get fed up with the menopause lobby who go on as if all of us had terrible physical and mental problems for years on end. We don't. Help for those who need it, certainly, but recognise that they are the some not the all.

The same applies to periods. Yes, I had the occasional painful period or day when I fell flat, but my migrain attacks were far more debilating and far more often and the main cause for me being off work.

Jane10 Fri 17-Jan-20 16:01:55

There seems to be a bit of a menopause industry. When I was approaching it I was terrified. I'd been made to believe all hell would break out in my body. I bought all the books and the supplements and - just nothing much happened!

grannyticktock Fri 17-Jan-20 16:16:05

I had a very easy time too. I was so relieved to have finished with messy menstruation and monthly mood swings - I became more even-tempered and happy, and our sex life actually improved. I had some hot-flush problems, and took HRT to relieve this (and to help my bones as the menopause was quite early) but nothing untoward happened when I stopped.

endlessstrife Fri 17-Jan-20 16:22:56

You lucky lot! I think I was just very healthy before, so when menopause hit, I felt like I’d been struck by an express train! I think I’m coming out of it now though, so about 3 years. The worst has been the nausea, and stiffness. Hot flushes weren’t a major problem, and periods slowly stopped. Wouldn’t want to do it again.

M0nica Fri 17-Jan-20 16:57:23

Some time in my 30s, I heard an item on Woman's Hour about a community in India where the women were in purdah and wore all covering clothing until the menopause.

Once they were through the menopause they were able to stop covering themselves and go out into the world with freedom. It was found that most of the women sailed through the menopause without any symptoms.

The menopause was seen as something highly desirable, no more child bearing and freedom to take part in society again. I thought 'that is for me'.And thankfully that is what I got.

SirChenjin Fri 17-Jan-20 17:06:57

I’m going through it at the moment and having a hideous time - thank god for the menopause ‘industry’, whatever that might be, because without it I’d be on my knees.

I’m incredibly envious of all of you who sailed through it - you lucky things! smile

Riverwalk Fri 17-Jan-20 17:37:08

but get fed up with the menopause lobby

Do you get fed up with the osteoarthritis lobby, incontinence lobby, prostate cancer lobby, etc. and all the other ailments that are a natural occurrence of older age?

BlueBelle Fri 17-Jan-20 18:12:31

I m another who sailed through without any symptoms at all I ve never ever had a hot flush or any other problem
I was mid to late 40 s so it all seems a very long time ago but such wonderful freedom

NfkDumpling Fri 17-Jan-20 18:19:08

I knew I shouldn’t have looked at this thread. Going away to sulk and check on my supply of HRT!

M0nica Fri 17-Jan-20 18:28:15

Riverwalk do not quote other peoples posts out of context. What I said was:

get fed up with the menopause lobby who go on as if all of us had terrible physical and mental problems for years on end. We don't. Help for those who need it, certainly, but recognise that they are the some not the all.

Not quite the same thing as your quote is it?

I get fed up with any campaign that over eggs its cause because it actually does those it tries to help more harm than good.

Framilode Fri 17-Jan-20 18:29:59

I had an early menopause and it knocked me for six. I envy everyone who had an easy time. I am glad there is so much help for people who are having a difficult menopause as I honestly don't think I could have managed without it. I don't like the sneery tone about the 'menopause industry'. Just think yourself lucky you got through so easily.

BlueSky Fri 17-Jan-20 18:43:58

Luck of the draw really like periods and labour!

MamaCaz Fri 17-Jan-20 18:52:32

I know the OP didn't say or even hint at this, far from it, but there have been a lot of very smug, ignorant, holier-than-though posts on this subject in the past where some people seriously suggest that their healthy lifestyle, positive outlook or other such things are probably the reason they have flown through the menopause with such ease.
That's why some of us less fortunate sufferers get hot under the collar (if only that was the only symptom!) when the topic comes up - we know from expetience that it's only a matter of time ...!

JackyB Fri 17-Jan-20 19:21:28

My periods started when I was 12 and were few and far between and very light. Following a bout of fibroids, I had a hysterectomy in my early 40s so I have no idea when my menopause was.

I don't remember any hot flushes or restless legs. I have put on loads of weight over the past 10 years though. (now 65)