Gransnet forums

Health

Underwire Bras

(32 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sat 22-Feb-20 11:55:00

Any gransnetters that wear non wired bras, or have tried them, thoughts please

BlueSky Sat 22-Feb-20 12:13:35

I used to wear underwired bras now I can't stand them. Good old M&S has some good 'total support' ones if that's what you want. Otherwise the soft ones are so comfy if not too worried about the support aspect.

ninathenana Sat 22-Feb-20 12:30:36

As I'm only a 'B' cup I have never worn a underwire. I don't need the support so no need for the discomfort.

ExD1938 Sat 22-Feb-20 12:35:48

I used to find them very comfortable but as I've aged and my boobs have 'softened' (lost density - dunno how to describe it) they have started digging in under the arms.
Larger or smaller cup sizes don't seem to help so I've resorted to non-wired but they don't give the same support.

MiniMoon Sat 22-Feb-20 12:53:52

I've only got one underwire bra, a black one that I wear with my posh frock.
My others are medium control fro M&S.

I'd love to go bra free, but haven't got the nerve as I'm 36 D cup.

mokryna Sat 22-Feb-20 12:56:54

Had the same problem until I got fitted at MS last year. Mine had ‘widened’. I spent over an hour and a half with a fitter trying on piles of bras. I came away with five that don’t dig in, very pleased.

eazybee Sat 22-Feb-20 12:58:28

I have worn under-wired bras for at least fifty years; confession: it was my underwire that buggered up the Bendix washing machine in the college laundry room in 1967.

tanith Sat 22-Feb-20 13:12:01

I wear underwired just not comfortable in non wired too bouncy.

DoraMarr Sat 22-Feb-20 13:13:33

I always wore underwired and padded bras, but had to get some non- wired ones last year after I had a breast op. The revelation! They are so much more comfortable, and I can’t say my breasts look any different. I used to be desperate to get my bra off in the evenings, but not now. I get mine from Marks.

Calendargirl Sat 22-Feb-20 13:58:47

Only an A cup, so don’t wear an under wired bra. Never worn a padded one either.
My swimsuits don’t have cups or shaping either.
Used to fret about looking flat chested, but not bothered nowadays.

evianers Sat 22-Feb-20 14:15:21

Cut a small hole and pulled out the wires - bra just as good.

crazyH Sat 22-Feb-20 14:17:47

Don't wear underwired bras....when I'm at home I don't wear a bra at all. I'm small (wish I had bigger boobs)

Davida1968 Sat 22-Feb-20 14:24:10

I'm a bigger lady but I only wear non-wired bras now. I usually buy these from Curvissa. (Other bra-selling companies are available!) IMO it's much more comfortable to be "wire-free".

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 22-Feb-20 14:41:38

I always wear underwired bras and put them inside the pants for extra security and then in a laundernet bag to avoid buggering up the washing machine.
Recently I bought an unwired bra from the supermarket and it's the worst bra I've ever owned so it's back to good old M&S for me.

BlueBelle Sat 22-Feb-20 14:52:02

I can’t bear underwired any more I wear bras that keep me together and as I’m unlikely to be running or jogging I don’t bounce although I m a C
I do still like to get it off in the evening though Wish we didn’t need to wear them my friend doesn’t and her boobs although not big are nearly on her tummy

Hetty58 Sat 22-Feb-20 15:05:05

I used to wear bras but don't usually bother now (I'm fairly small anyway). I put one on if I'm going somewhere special - or have a doctor's appointment! I have a good selection of padded gilets for winter anyway so a bra is not needed.

AGAA4 Sat 22-Feb-20 15:42:41

M & S Total Support bras are very good.

mrswoo Sat 22-Feb-20 16:18:11

I used to always wear underwired bras but about 2 years ago I started to find they really irritated my “underboob”. The only way I could tolerate wearing one was to use Larnacane anti-chafing gel. That really did help but if I ever forgot to use it I would end up in a lot of discomfort.
Last year I bought a couple of soft bras - the ones you pull on over your head - as I was going on holiday and didn’t want my bra to set off the alarms at airport security. I’ve not worn an underwired bra since. They are so comfortable and I’ve had no irritation since I’ve switched.

Coolgran65 Sat 22-Feb-20 17:04:36

I generally wear an underwired because I am a 36HH cup. But nowadays find the wired a nuisance. However Bravissimo will refund.

I spent an hour in M & S with a fitter without success. She couldn't find a bra to fit in the back and also in the cups.

The soft pull over your head type don't even nearly got no matter of they say that they will.

I can on line find a wireless bra but can forget about support.

sodapop Sat 22-Feb-20 17:57:19

I always wear underwired non padded bras. I recently thought I would try non wired and ordered a couple of different ones from M&S. I really couldn't get on with them at all and much prefer my underwired ones. Each to their own I suppose.

GagaJo Sat 22-Feb-20 18:33:20

I've got lovely M&S underwired, push-up bras in a wide range of colours. I love them and they are SUPER comfy.

Unfortunately, they have stopped making them, so once these ones give up the ghost, I don't know what I'll do because I know it is rare to find comfortable underwires.

SparklyGrandma Sat 22-Feb-20 18:35:35

I would love to wear non wired but my cup runneth over. I am a FF cup.

SparklyGrandma Sat 22-Feb-20 18:37:10

Ooops, I have found a little shop in York called Leia, they do comfy and fashionable underwires. It’s also an excuse to visit there once a year!

H1954 Sat 22-Feb-20 18:41:05

Let it all go MiniMoon! I'm a 38DD and go braless quite often.

jura2 Wed 26-Feb-20 10:14:40

No more underwires for me- wore them all my working life- but I now wear sport type no underwire- bliss. 40D.