Gransnet forums

Health

Thoughtless neighbour.

(56 Posts)
NanKate Thu 28-May-20 14:00:06

Yesterday I was standing in excess of 2 metres from a neighbour who is in her 50s and I am in my 70s. She was on her front lawn which is open plan to mine 2 gardens away.

At the end of our conversation she said ‘I think I have had the virus as I have had a temperature, cough, shortness of breath and fatigue. I’ve have just done the test with the rest of the family and am awaiting the results.’ ?

I finished the conversation quickly and went indoors. I think she should have told me immediately the situation. She was reclining on the ground so let’s hope no bugs floated up to me. ?

tanith Thu 28-May-20 14:02:37

Stupid woman what was she thinking ???

annep1 Thu 28-May-20 14:06:34

Some people are being incredibly stupid about distancing and isolating. Actions like DC don't help.

Moggycuddler Fri 29-May-20 08:51:02

She should have stayed in her house away from people until she was sure. Stupid and irresponsible, yes.

tickingbird Fri 29-May-20 08:51:11

At 2 gardens away and outdoors I really don’t think you should be worrying. I’m sure you’re safe.

shysal Fri 29-May-20 08:52:15

I hope her whole family are self isolating whilst awaiting test results. I am sure you won't have caught the virus, but she is a silly woman. Several of my neighbours have been flouting the rules all along, it makes me mad!

4allweknow Fri 29-May-20 08:52:22

Totally irresponsible. She should not have been outside. Fingers crossed the results are negative.

Marley18 Fri 29-May-20 08:52:25

Seems like there is a minority out there not adhering to the rules and not applying common sense!

NanaPlenty Fri 29-May-20 08:56:43

I’m sure you will be fine at that distance but why on earth didn’t she stay indoors!

Danma Fri 29-May-20 08:58:56

“I think I have HAD the virus”

Not “I think I HAVE ...”

a big difference in my eyes and two gardens apart, seems a fair distance unless she was coughing or sneezing at you.

Hope all is well

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-May-20 09:01:25

Is it possible she’d already completed 7 days of indoor isolation since the start of her symptoms?

Esmerelda Fri 29-May-20 09:03:16

Sounds like she was speaking in the past ... "have had" the virus, "have had" a temperature, etc. Maybe the test will just confirm that she had it in the past but is now fully recovered which, if she was outside reclining on the ground without displaying any of the symptoms she said she "has had", sounds reasonable. Do you expect everyone who has had the virus to stay inside indefinitely?

Esmerelda Fri 29-May-20 09:06:09

Looks like our posts have crossed Danma and Grannynannywanny ... at last some common sense instead of instant judgement.

Taliya Fri 29-May-20 09:12:54

What an idiot?

Nannapat1 Fri 29-May-20 09:16:09

At over 2 m away and outside, I don't think that is any great risk. Agree, 'have had' could mean isolation period is over and some test results have been very slow in arriving.

Hawera1 Fri 29-May-20 09:26:19

Silly woman. I would have been scared of that too. Especially at your age. I'm 65 but at risk too health wise.

Caro57 Fri 29-May-20 09:27:31

Clearly doesn’t understand the word ‘isolate’! However given distance etc.
You could consider getting a test yourself

PamelaJ1 Fri 29-May-20 09:28:44

You were over two metres away and were outside. She was lying down and presumably wasn’t coughing or sneezing?

She was in her own garden?
I would call that isolating.

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-May-20 09:34:17

Possibly the woman may have already isolated for 7 days and was now outside recuperating. If so then the outcome of her test isn’t relevant in this situation.

If we are feeling well enough after 7 days to go outdoors then that is permitted. Unless we still have a fever and in that case should remain in isolation till it settles. The cough symptom can persist for several weeks and it’s not necessary to remain indoors due to lingering cough.

Rosalyn69 Fri 29-May-20 09:38:15

I think the only thing she did wrong was mention it. To give her the benefit of the doubt if she said “had” that does indicate past tense.

Grannynannywanny Fri 29-May-20 09:39:55

Sorry to contradict Pamela but if still in the required isolation 7 day period then the garden isn’t allowed.

It’s 7 days isolation and not leave the house at all. If possible isolated from other members of your household within the house. And the rest of the household needs to isolate for 14 days to be sure they aren’t incubating the virus

polnan Fri 29-May-20 09:43:40

oh good grief,, what gets me is the lack of clarity with the rules..

now.. still talking about "shielded" different rules,, does that, or does it not, include those "over 70`s with no underlying health issues" I am the latter, but (shaking head) I am going out... been very good, not met any family, well only urgent stuff..

PamelaJ1 Fri 29-May-20 09:44:31

Ok grannynannywanny. I stand corrected.

I still think that the OP is safe though.?

H1954 Fri 29-May-20 09:46:50

"Don't panic Mr Mainwaring"!

I honestly think, considering the alleged distance, you have nothing to worry about. She did say "had" so presumably she is feeling better and wanted to enjoy the sunshine.

quizqueen Fri 29-May-20 09:53:54

If I ever get the virus, I most certainly will be going out in my garden, not staying indoors all the time- I live alone anyway.