Gransnet forums

Health

Using Thuja for getting rid of a verucca

(20 Posts)
Helennonotion Sun 12-Jul-20 12:43:28

Hello. Anyone any experience of using Thuja for getting rid of warts or verrucas? It's a homeopathic remedy recommended to me by a Chiropodist. It comes in tablet form, or oils and creams you apply topically. My son has a very persistent verruca and no other type of treatment seems to work so we thought we might give this a try. Any thoughts welcome! Thank you.

grannysue05 Sun 12-Jul-20 12:48:27

I have seen thuja used to clear warts on hands. Tincture was used though, as I doubt cream or oil would give a strong enough dosage.
You can buy tincture from Helios Pharmacy or The Homeopathic Supply Company. Or maybe even Nelsons.
Hope that helps.

SueDonim Sun 12-Jul-20 12:54:22

Many years ago a chemist suggested thuja tablets for my son’s verruca. I don’t know if it was coincidence fact we’d tried everything under the sun beforehand but within a couple of weeks, the verruca was gone.

At the very least, it does no harm.

Helennonotion Sun 12-Jul-20 13:25:30

grannysue05 I'll check out those sites for the tincture.
SueDonim That's just like us. We should have shares in Bazooka the amount we've spent over the last few years!
Thank you both.

geekesse Sun 12-Jul-20 13:39:24

My Granny used to buy my veruccas from me for a penny, and then I had to bury the penny. Worked every time...

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 12-Jul-20 13:47:09

Duck tape, cover the Verucca for 1 week, replace with a new piece, do this for 4 weeks, odd, but it works for our family.

Helennonotion Sun 12-Jul-20 14:33:49

We tried the duct tape method but no good! Thanks anyway.

I'm not sure about the penny method. It seems a bit far fetched but hell its worth a try!! I'll report back! grin

geekesse Sun 12-Jul-20 16:51:00

I should add that about two thirds of veruccas disappear without treatment anyway. So I guess Granny’s pennies may not have been quite the magic treatment I believed them to be at the time,

Jane10 Sun 12-Jul-20 16:54:27

My Dad (a GP) used to buy veruccas from children. It seemed to work a treat!

MiniMoon Sun 12-Jul-20 17:13:45

I used Verrugon to get rid of mine.

I will say that you really have to file down the verruca daily, they don't like it, and will go away. I bought a Ped egg and used that instead of the emery boards that came with the ointment.

GagaJo Sun 12-Jul-20 19:04:54

GP freezing them worked best, in my experience. Not that helpful right now, I know.

midgey Sun 12-Jul-20 19:20:58

A chiropodist told my daughter that verrucas need light, she suggested using black nail varnish. My granddaughter had lots of verrucas on one foot and the same chiropodist queried her general health. (The nail varnish worked)

Oopsadaisy3 Sun 12-Jul-20 19:32:12

Midgey like the duck tape, blocks the light

Helennonotion Sun 12-Jul-20 21:19:41

Thank you all for your suggestions. My son went to the GP a while ago and it seems nobody does the freezing thing anymore. We have tried the home kit for freezing but as yet its made no difference! They are stubborn things aren't they? He is filling it down often and now and again I get one of those scholl blade things to scrape off the worst of the hard skin. This has been ongoing for about 2 and a half years now! I think he wants to try the thuja tablets together with the tincture! Double whammy! It seems to be the only thing he hasn't tried. I read today that strapping a banana skin to your foot has some success. He wasn't very keen when I suggested this though!

GagaJo Sun 12-Jul-20 22:06:39

I Googled verucas, Helen, and it's only the NHS that won't freeze them. If it really won't shift, you might be able pay to get it done.

Helennonotion Sun 12-Jul-20 22:20:13

I didn't think of that GagaJo It might be cheaper than all this homeopathic stuff! Will look into that. Thank you.

Furret Sun 12-Jul-20 22:32:34

Give it a go. If it doesn’t work at least it won’t harm.

Gajahgran Mon 13-Jul-20 16:58:36

Duct tape worked for me when everything else failed. I think the verucca needs air and the Duct tape seals it off. I was suffering for about 6 months until I used the tape. 4 weeks later, verucca all gone!

GagaJo Mon 13-Jul-20 17:53:17

The reason I'm a fan of freezing, is because about 20 years ago I had warts on my fingers. Only one looked like an actual wart (on the top of my thumb). The others were around the edges of my cuticles and just looked like dried skin. NOTHING would shift them. I tried everything. Eventually I went to the doctors and they offered to freeze them. They squirted them with the can of cold stuff (sorry to be so vague!) which was a bit painful. But the very next day the one on my thumb was half gone. Within a week they'd all gone and I've never had them again. It worked brilliantly.

Helennonotion Mon 13-Jul-20 20:28:37

I rang a local branch of a big chiropody company today and enquired about the possibility of having the verruca frozen off. She said they don't do it anymore as its painful and often doesn't work! But they do use a stronger acid product than is available in the shops, so we decided to try that. No appointment until August though, which isn't surprising really. I made the mistake of googling side effects of taking thuja and went off the idea a little! Fingers crossed this treatment works!