Gransnet forums

Health

Osteo arthritis

(20 Posts)
Lucca Sat 01-Aug-20 09:30:43

I seem to have this in my neck now which is leading to headaches as well. Has anyone had any effective medication/treatment?

midgey Sat 01-Aug-20 09:46:12

Are you sure it’s arthritis? I get headaches which disappear after Pilates. Would you dare try a very gentle exercise? There are loads of very short ones on YouTube.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 01-Aug-20 09:47:06

What are your symptoms Lucca please? Is it difficult to move or turn your neck? Does it 'crackle' when you move? My neck has been very painful over the past week - I have to roll out of bed carefully - it's as though my neck can't support my head comfortably when it's not upright. If it doesn't improve over the next few weeks I'll have to see the GP but am putting this off in case I've just strained something and it gets better by itself.
I wonder if anti-inflammatory medication would help. I started taking glucosamine and magnesium a few days ago. Time will tell if they are effective. Anyway best of luck.

Lucca Sat 01-Aug-20 10:38:15

midgey

Are you sure it’s arthritis? I get headaches which disappear after Pilates. Would you dare try a very gentle exercise? There are loads of very short ones on YouTube.

Hi. I do a lot of exercise ! No I’m not sure yet but I do have arthritis elsewhere

annodomini Sat 01-Aug-20 10:41:43

It would be a good idea to see a physiotherapist, Lucca. My sister, who was a GP, used to say that if she had a skeletal/muscular problem she'd see a physio rather than a GP. I have a pinched nerve between two vertebrae which makes my hand tingle and a physio gave me two simple exercises which help.

Lucca Sat 01-Aug-20 11:02:50

I think you are right.AD. I have A good osteopath but I just wondered if in general there is any medication

henetha Sat 01-Aug-20 11:06:50

You can refer yourself to an NHS physio by finding the local number and asking for an appointment. At least, we can in this area.

Sparklefizz Sat 01-Aug-20 11:58:56

Lucca I have Osteoarthritis in my neck and other places. I have Crepitus in my neck which is the crunching sound when you turn your head.

I see a cranial osteopath who has been brilliant over the years. It's not a cure but keeps my neck and spine flexible. I do gentle exercises every day, and if it stiffens up for any reason I just rely on paracetamol and my osteopath to sort it out.

Lucca Sat 01-Aug-20 12:35:41

Sparklefizz

Lucca I have Osteoarthritis in my neck and other places. I have Crepitus in my neck which is the crunching sound when you turn your head.

I see a cranial osteopath who has been brilliant over the years. It's not a cure but keeps my neck and spine flexible. I do gentle exercises every day, and if it stiffens up for any reason I just rely on paracetamol and my osteopath to sort it out.

Thank you, I think it’s looking like forking out for regular osteopathy !
Various people have mentioned turmeric magnesium or fish oil supplements but an ex doctor friend says if you eat a balanced diet you shouldn’t need them!

Furret Sat 01-Aug-20 13:22:04

Doctors nearly all say that but I’m pretty sure turmeric isn’t something most of us eat on a daily basis.

toscalily Sat 01-Aug-20 14:01:49

I have arthritis in the hip, knees and also over the past few months my neck & shoulder. I had been referred to see a NHS physio in February and due for a follow up in April (which of course did not happen) just given exercises which help very little if I am honest and I am someone who was doing Yoga & Pilates 2/3 times a week. I would like to give a warning regarding Tumeric which is mooted to be absolutely wonderful for arthritis when taken at a higher dose. I decided to try this during lockdown and it would appear I am one of the people for whom it is not suitable. It gave me terrible stomach cramps which I at first thought was something upsetting me food wise. I did realise after after a few days, paused and tried again with similar results. The information regarding this unpleasant side effect is not so readily available as Tumeric is usually promoted as being natural & good and obviously for most it is.

merlotgran Sat 01-Aug-20 14:07:44

Try a course of acupuncture, Lucca. I sometimes get a trapped nerve on the left side of my neck which can be caused by a sudden gust of cold wind or cold water like heavy raindrops.

It's excruciating and acupuncture helps to free up the nerve so might help arthritis related symptoms.

Sunnysideup Mon 03-Aug-20 10:34:11

Toscalily, same here regarding Turmeric. I too have arthritis in my neck OP, and various other areas and had a lot of tum trouble when taking turmeric. I think it’s just a matter of trying to keep everything mobile.

annsixty Mon 03-Aug-20 11:09:00

I have been taking turmeric for four weeks now.
No side effects fortunately but absolutely no effect on my arthritis.

Megs36 Mon 03-Aug-20 11:53:08

I’ve had ‘pain in the neck’ for several years and many visits to doc, (when you still could’ Finally one resulted in hospital visit and scan. Subsequently referred to ‘doctor for elderly people’, a very pleasant geriatric consultant, not sure why. She said it was arthritis. and take pain killers. Now pain is spreading up to my head and my sight seems to be deteriorating, had eye test, but no real change sight wise I am told. Where can I go from here. Sorry about long turgid tale. I had a stroke 18 months ago, wonder if that has any bearing, I know there’s no advice but thanks for listening/reading and good luck everyone else.

Lucca Mon 03-Aug-20 13:18:57

Thank you everyone for your helpful replies!
Megs36. Poor you that sounds very painful. I can only suggest you ask to see doctor again ?

Teetime Mon 03-Aug-20 14:44:27

Lucca I have the same problem. The physio gave me exercises which give some relief through helping the range of movement but for example today I must have slept ib a bad position as my neck ache and associated headache were tremendous. I hope you and I get some relief.

Lucca Mon 03-Aug-20 18:59:39

Had this neck business a few years ago for a couple of years and then it went away, but at that time I did invest in n a very heavy pillow which is good. Just seems it’s all back again
dammit.

Katyj Mon 03-Aug-20 19:15:24

Hi, I have arthritis in my neck it makes horrible noises! I often wake with headache which usually goes off if I do gentle stretching excersises sat on the edge of the bed. I have seen a physio he said it’s because my neck muscles are very tight and gave me some stretches to do. This is the 2nd health thread I have joined today ! I also have costochondritis , I’m falling to bits.

NfkDumpling Mon 03-Aug-20 19:35:09

I see a wonderful chap who does sports massage and physio (the sort football players have). It's not always very comfortable and certainly not relaxing but he stretches my neck so that all the crackling stops for about five weeks or so. He also puts my back straight and gets rid of all the tension knots. I haven't seen him since February and my ability to walk any distance has deteriorated considerably! I'm booked in for tomorrow!