Gransnet forums

Health

Teeth extractions in September

(9 Posts)
Sheila1952 Thu 06-Aug-20 14:38:45

Hi everyone, I've been told by my dentist today that 2 teeth need to be extracted in the autumn as they have been filled so may times and nothing more can to be done to save them. I am so nervous about this procedure and was wondering if anyone can recommend anything to help calm me before treatment. My dentist is very good and I feel in good hands but 24 hours before I'm a bundle of nerves and get very anxious.

yorkie20 Thu 06-Aug-20 14:41:04

I had 2 teeth extracted and my Doctor prescribed a mild sedative that I took before the procedure.

Greenfinch Thu 06-Aug-20 14:46:37

If your dentist is good he will do the extractions very quickly. Having booked a half hour appointment for myself,it only took less than five minutes to remove the tooth. When I expressed surprise he said " well I am very experienced".

Teetime Thu 06-Aug-20 14:52:51

Sheila I totally understand your concern and I hope to reassure you by my experience of having just such a tooth extracted whilst an abscess raged underneath it. Firstly I must say how quickly the anaesthetic worked and seemed to numb my whole head so that felt great and then the extraction was again so quick it was over before it had started so to speak. I didn't have a sedative as I find once the anaesthetic is in I'm Ok. I just did a bit of self hypnosis which I do sometimes for pain control and it worked fine. I nearly hugged the dentist after but of course we cant do that at the moment (didn't like the bill much but that's another matter) Good luck flowers

GrannyLaine Thu 06-Aug-20 15:08:02

Sheila 1952 prior to the current pandemic I had to have a troublesome tooth removed. My dentist is excellent and I wasn't unduly anxious but I can honestly say that apart from the usual slight discomfort as the local anaesthetic went in, it was totally painless and much to my surprise, not the slightest twinge of pain or bleeding afterwards. If you are unduly anxious let the dentist know and take their advice.

Sheila1952 Thu 06-Aug-20 17:59:38

Thank you all for your suggestions. I know a lot of my worries are mind over matter and that dental treatment has greatly improved over the years. I do prefer to have the treatment before complications set in, ie toothache! Ouch!

travelsafar Fri 07-Aug-20 07:38:32

I had a large back tooth removed once and i was dreading it, i think the dentist was too, but it literally flew out and landed across the other side of the room!!! Both of us were very relieved. smile

BlueBelle Fri 07-Aug-20 08:10:33

sheila I m another who is terrified by the dentist first thing
I d say is, is the tooth giving you any trouble I had a broken filled back tooth that the dentist suggested needed to come out she was fairly insistent but I said I d prefer to wait to see how it goes I had that tooth 8 years before it gave me trouble then I did have it out
Secondly I have a doctor that refuses to give any form of calming tablet even as a one off (luckily a friend came to my rescue)
Thirdly is is the anticipation that’s the worst Just keep thinking to the day after... imagine it’s all done and dusted and when you’re in the chair try your best to relax Use headphones with music or count or go through names or places anything to take your mind off it most teeth come out very quickly I did have one that he worked on for an hour it was a very unusual root he had never seen one before and asked to keep it but he was so careful and gentle just kept doing a little bit at a time (Unfortunately he’s left the practice)
Good luck and don’t think about it yet you ve got a way to go

MellowYellow Fri 07-Aug-20 10:23:18

I've had a tooth out recently. He was a new, young dentist, less experienced than my usual one, but he was so gentle and I could hardly believe how quickly it was done. Like Greenfinch it was over in 5 minutes!