Gransnet forums

Health

Fainting

(20 Posts)
Phloembundle Fri 07-Aug-20 10:40:10

Hi. I wanted to ask any Gransnetters who have ever fainted if, prior to passing out, any of you have ever experienced what I would call a brainstorm where images of your life flashed through your mind at huge speed? It is a truly terrifying experience and I can only find reference to it by one other person whilst trying to research online. All opinions on the subject would be gratefully received. Thanks

Elegran Fri 07-Aug-20 11:01:09

I think you should consult your GP about this.

Alexa Fri 07-Aug-20 11:10:34

I agree with Elegran. This does not imply it's a dangerous symptom but it may help the doctor to help you.

BlueSky Fri 07-Aug-20 11:14:44

Phloe the only couple of times I've come near to fainting, I experienced the usual unsteadiness, blurry vision, clamminess but never the symptoms you describe.

MellowYellow Fri 07-Aug-20 11:18:12

When I've fainted the world goes monochrome for the few nanoseconds before I hit the floor, but no images. Best ask your doctor.

Peardrop50 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:25:18

I haven't fainted since my last pregnancy 43 years ago but remember the feeling well. A sort of emptying of my head and a sinking feeling as I dropped to the floor. Nothing like you describe.
We are all different and your feeling may be nothing but, as a rule of thumb, we should always, always, always check out anything unusual with our GP.

henetha Fri 07-Aug-20 11:27:08

I used to be a 'fainter', but never had the symptoms you deescribe. Good advice above to see your doctor.

Elegran Fri 07-Aug-20 11:28:26

I suspect it is because lack of oxygen is causing random connections in the brain to fire off the images. Perhaps your blood pressure is low and your head is above your heart so it sometimes misses out on supplies? Once you have fainted and are horizontal, the oxygen returns and it all goes back to normal. Your GP will check you over and maybe sort out your blood pressure.

Meanwhile, don't suddenly stand up and move off when you have been sitting or lying down, take the change of position more slowly. If you feel dizzy and weird, get your head lower than your heart.

BBbevan Fri 07-Aug-20 11:43:10

I fainted a lot as a teenager and again at the beginnings of my pregnancies. Always the same. An enclosing darkness , then awake not knowing where you were for a moment or two.

FlexibleFriend Fri 07-Aug-20 12:27:01

No I see sparkly stars just before I faint.

geekesse Fri 07-Aug-20 12:27:34

You must see a GP urgently. GN is not the appropriate place for a diagnosis.

Puzzler61 Fri 07-Aug-20 12:30:39

I agree too, please make a call for a GP appointment. Phloembundle.
Good luck. ?

gillybob Fri 07-Aug-20 12:32:15

I’ve fainted a few times and always have the same “signs” which is usually a whooshing sensation where everything around me goes. “Whah, whah whah.......” hard to describe.

Jane10 Fri 07-Aug-20 12:47:21

I only fainted twice. Once when pregnant and standing for ages at a bus stop. Just a feeling of blackness sweeping up. Same again a few years later after a back injury. Nothing very dramatic just the blackness.

MiniMoon Fri 07-Aug-20 12:59:56

Last time I fainted I was in the shower. I don't recall any symptoms or warning signs. One minute I was lathering myself the next I was lying on the bathroom floor, half in and half out of the shower.

I went to the GP who took my BP which was normal. She thought I'd maybe had a sudden drop in blood sugar and advised me to eat more in the evenings.

I stopped that though, my weight went up!!

cornergran Fri 07-Aug-20 13:40:10

Last fainted 5. years ago. A feeling of overall weakness and down I went. Please phone your GP Phloe, I think your experience is unusual and definitely worth seeking medical advice.

Phloembundle Tue 11-Aug-20 09:54:39

Thanks everyone. Have appointment today with GP.

Jane10 Tue 11-Aug-20 09:56:22

Let us know how it went.

Phloembundle Fri 14-Aug-20 10:07:24

Hi. Saw doc and he did usual TPR + sats, BP. He has ordered bloods and ECG. He seems to think it is some sort of fainting attack, though I saw something online which described my symptoms almost exactly, which is a simple, partial seizure of the temporal lobe, formerly known as an aura. I hope the problem is the former. Have had no further episodes since last Friday. Will keep you posted.

Jane10 Fri 14-Aug-20 10:13:20

At least the doctor is on the case. Hope it doesn't recur anyway.