Gransnet forums

Health

Weakness in legs

(15 Posts)
blondenana Wed 12-Aug-20 22:27:54

The last couple of weeks i have had weakness in my legs, sometimes they feel as if they will give way
Not sure if i have trapped a nerve in my lower back, but it's very worrying,with a feeling of vibration or dithering all over,if this makes sense
Also extreme tiredness,
Has anyone had these problems ,

Lucca Wed 12-Aug-20 22:48:46

A friend has this. Doctors think it’s a benign essential tremor.
I’d suggest you contact your GP though.

Dollygloss Wed 12-Aug-20 22:56:41

Yes, in my case it was found to be low blood pressure on standing. When my bp was tested it was usually when I was sitting down so the cause was missed for some time. I was seriously worried. Finally a consultant asked me to stand up while still connected to the monitor, and as I felt the energy drain from me, she discovered my bp had plummeted. I had previously had my heart etc checked out and all was well there, so it was a stand alone issue. I was advised to drink more water.... I was never a fan, and to increase my salt intake.
Things have improved a lot now. I was offered medication but there's a risk of my bp going too high, so I try and manage it myself. I hope you get to the bottom of it. It's alarming when it's happening.

welbeck Wed 12-Aug-20 23:15:01

a careworker i know saw the same thing in her client today.
the person is disabled, with multiple morbidities; on a good day with encouragement and close attention, leaning on a special frame she can just about manage to get from the bed to chair, about 20 foot.
today going back she got stuck at the narrow part, her leg was shaking nd she said she couldn't move it.
careworker couldn't get past her to fetch perching stool, nor risk leaving her to get one from kitchen.
eventually she managed to kind of lift and move her leg for her.
it was alarming for the careworker, let alone the client.
i'm wondering if in this heat, lack of salt, and water, could be a factor.

blondenana Wed 12-Aug-20 23:16:06

* Dollygloss* you could be right,i do have low to normal blood pressue,i also had an ECG last week,due to having palpitations and sudden heart thump
I have also put weight on, not over lockdown, which seems to make me feel a bit breathless, only a stone and a half, but being only 5ft, it does make a big difference and i don't feel as , fit ,
I'm not a big eater and been extra careful with my eating, so lost about 5lbs recently
I am going to ring the Dr tomorrow anyway,
Will update thank you

blondenana Wed 12-Aug-20 23:19:45

It could be stress related i think too, as been under a lot of stress recently,but will phone GP not got any blood test results either so will ask about them
Welbeck doesn't sound the same

Oopsminty Wed 12-Aug-20 23:24:09

I had weakness in legs when I was much younger. Eventually diagnosed with myositis.

However I'd agree with all the posters to go to your GP.

tanith Thu 13-Aug-20 07:20:14

As you’ve had blood tests they will rule out anaemia which I was going to suggest it’s good your seeing your GP.

EllanVannin Thu 13-Aug-20 09:05:00

It's during cold weather that my legs don't work properly. It's a horrible feeling but with myself it's most likely a circulatory problem as well as the effects of warfarin perhaps.

blondenana Thu 13-Aug-20 22:07:06

I have a telephone consultation tomorrow,
It definitely wont be anaemia,as i have too much iron, but i don't now think it's anything to do with blood pressure either
I am thinking maybe a trapped nerve in my back,as one morning about a week ago i got up thinking i had got sciatica, well that feeling wore off,, but i now have this feeling of vibration ,that's all i can describe it as, at the point where my sciatic nerve would be,
It is the so tired feeling i have, never felt like this before
I rang a man i used to go to for some physio years ago,but he has retired,he agreed it could be a trapped nerve and could make my legs feel weak ,he told me what to do re,exercise,so doing that,but will still speak to the Dr tomorrow
I'm not taking any meds,so ruled that out
I usually have lots of energy,so feeling like this is not good to me

paddyanne Thu 13-Aug-20 22:20:39

My MIL complains of this we got her one of those Revitivefit(?) or simmilar name for it she used it twice a day and she takes a magnesium supplement .She's been taking small walks just along her street and back and she says her legs dont feel so bad.Hopefully they keep improving .Hope ypu find an answer for yours

welbeck Thu 13-Aug-20 23:02:18

i was wondering with very hot weather, extra sweating, loss of salts could be a factor.

blondenana Fri 14-Aug-20 15:30:12

Had a call from the Dr,she also thinks it could be a trapped nerve but says ut is usually painful,
She has made me an appointment for monday afternoon if i want to go, but will only do a resistance test,where they see if you can push against their hands
All my bloods are fine, othing to suggest anything wrong
I did wonder too, if the hot weather could be connected, but ours here hasn't been as hot as some places, but ido know heat can be as bad as cold for muscles and joints
I only bought some magnesium on wednesday
I am going to ring another physio and get another opinion as well

blondenana Sat 15-Aug-20 12:43:38

I have an appointment with Physio, i do think now it is a trapped nerve as can now feel it in my heels, mainly the side i thought i had sciatica, and fairly painful
Maybe i need a new mattress

blondenana Tue 18-Aug-20 00:13:11

Well seen the Dr today, all blood tests good, BP perfect, oxygen,perfect, slightly high ferritin, [which i expected due to having haemochromatosis] temperature perfect
All perfect that way it seems, oh except pre diabetic reading 43,[whatever that means, no idea, but nothing to worry about] turns out the problem is in a disc just above my coccyx, as when pressed it hurt
Anyway appointment with physio on wednesday
Hope one appointment will sort it as very expensive