Gransnet forums

Health

Tubby tummy

(8 Posts)
Grannyjacq1 Wed 19-Aug-20 09:54:49

I'm late 60s, not overweight, exercise regularly (walking, Pilates, various fitness classes) and eat reasonably healthily, including doing a variation of the 5/2 diet (which I've done for 8+ years). My weight is fairly constant, and I have a BMI of about 20/21. But over the past couple of years my waist/tummy have expanded and I would really love to tone this area. Yes - all hormonal I expect, 'middle age spread' and all that - 'learn to live with it' - but I know that fat in this area can be an unhealthy risk re diabetes and Covid 19. I don't want to wear supportive underwear or have any 'treatment', so can anyone recommend exercises that really work on this area? Or online exercise classes that I could try?

tanith Wed 19-Aug-20 10:25:30

No but I will follow this thread with interest.

Poppyred Wed 19-Aug-20 10:51:21

Me too! .....

paddyanne Wed 19-Aug-20 10:53:28

Pilates ? It 's part of my daily routine.I have the pilates reformer which uses cords and a nice comfy base to lie on .You can buy them on QVC with a 60 day money back guarantee ..or find online pilates lessons .My cousin swears by her yoga and she's very toned .

EllanVannin Wed 19-Aug-20 10:57:43

Practice getting out of a comfy armchair without holding on to the sides. It really strengthens the abdominal muscles. Do this every time you sit in it.

Gingergirl Fri 21-Aug-20 11:19:44

Im also not overweight but have that sort of shape. The only times it has improved is when I’ve been ill! Once when I had a urine infection and cut out all sugar for a month and another much longer time when I could drink no alcohol at all. So, I know what to do but especially in these times, there’s no chance of doing it.

ExD Fri 21-Aug-20 11:27:09

I have a horrible suspicion that it has something to do with losing many of our female hormones after menopause. It allows the male hormones to be more dominant so that we develop a more male-like figure.
You only have to look at the shape of most mature men to see where this notion comes from.
My male belly has increased since my swimming pool was closed. I did lose it when I lost 2 stone after breaking my back, but I only weighed 6 stone and it was honestly not worth it (not recommended smile)

Trip Sat 19-Sep-20 13:09:57

I love TeamBodyProject videos for online exercise-
When I was searching YouTube during Lockdown (because I needed help rehabbing and to lose weight gained after a fall and fracture a few months prior), I came across TeamBodyProject videos, which I highly recommend. They have a series of “Real Start” and “Senior“ all standing low impact videos that also incorporate cardio and VITAL strength/resistance work, to build and retain muscle so improving metabolism. The videos use men and women with a variety of body types and sizes which I found encouraged me. Daniel’s motivational comments also seem to motivate me, even if I am simultaneously raising an eyebrow. The Real Start and Senior series are level 1 or 2, 3 in difficulty, but there are several more difficult versions if you’re fitter than I was when I started...and on their website there’s a fitness test to help you figure out where to start and how to progress.

If you like TBP free YouTube videos, you can register on their and go behind the a paywall to see the rest of their content for free and try for several weeks BEFORE giving a credit card and committing. His wife Alex leads Standing Pilates videos and many of the others. There are variety of programs you can follow as well as short helpful Rehab videos. I didn’t have access to a physio during lockdown and the rehab videos were really useful to me. As was the food advice.

I also caved and started using one of those wrist Fitness Trackers that gently buzzes you and reminds you to move around every hour and also monitors your steps. Getting over 7500-10,000 steps really seems to help.