Gransnet forums

Health

Endoscopy

(51 Posts)
Kate1949 Sat 05-Sep-20 20:44:35

Hello everyone
Has anyone had, or do you know anyone who has had an endoscopy?
My DH has to have one (problems swallowing). The main thing he is afraid if us being sick when the tube goes down his throat.
I would appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.

BlueSky Sat 05-Sep-20 20:55:18

Kate I think a few of us here had one or will have to have one soon so he's in good company. I guess everybody would be uneasy at the thought me included, but hopefully we'll have some positive stories on here.

Welshwife Sat 05-Sep-20 20:55:38

They are well aware of people gagging etc when having one of these - I have had one and also a colonoscopy and the people doing these things are lovely. The dr asked me did I want to be knocked out or just have a minor spray - he then said if I had a problem they could give me the stronger stuff - but I would need to stay overnight - needless to say I stuck with the throat spray and was fine and went home after eating a sandwich.

annsixty Sat 05-Sep-20 20:59:42

It is nothing like as bad as your imaginings.
I opted for a sedative and would do so again but truly is it soon over and while not a walk in the park it really is alright.
Lots of staff looking after you and holding your hand.

annodomini Sat 05-Sep-20 21:01:42

I've had gastroscopies both with and without sedative. Getting the 'scope' down was no great problem without sedative and I only had that when I was having a colonoscopy at the same time.

GagaJo Sat 05-Sep-20 21:04:58

I had one on the day daughter was moving out of uni digs so couldn't have the sedation because I needed to be able to drive afterwards.

It was absolutely fine. Not nice but quick and the staff will support him to get him through it. Women go through much worse with bad period pain etc. Just to put it into context.

Luckygirl Sat 05-Sep-20 21:47:09

Really - he must not worry - it is fine. I have had 3. The last time I did not have sedation but was given a few puffs of entonox to make me a bit high/dozy during the initial bit of swallowing. It was fine and I was able to drive home as I was not sedated.

Kate1949 Sat 05-Sep-20 22:36:41

Thanks everyone. He is not a wimp. Honestly! He has diabetes. He has prostate cancer (in remission thankfully). He had a biopsy where they inserted 11 needles into his prostate without sedation (he was sick (and embarrassed) which is why I think he is afraid of being sick. He had 37 consecutive days of radiotherapy, several scans, so he is not a scaredy cat! Thank you so much.

GrandmasueUK Sat 05-Sep-20 22:43:00

I've had one every 2 years for the past 12 years. I always have the local anaesthetic which is to stop the gag reflex. It isn't painful and I find it quite interesting to watch what is happening on the screen.

Littleannie Sat 05-Sep-20 22:47:33

I have had 2, one with sedation and one without. They spray the back of your throat to stop the gag reflex so he need not worry about being sick. If I had it again, I would choose to have sedation which means you have to stay for a couple of hours afterwards instead of going straight home. But either way it is just mild discomfort for about 2 minutes. Nothing dreadful. It sounds as though he has had a lot worse treatments.

lemongrove Sat 05-Sep-20 22:48:29

He will be fine Kate I have an overactive ‘gag’ reaction, had a mild sedative and was perfectly ok with it, to my amazement.

Curlywhirly Sat 05-Sep-20 22:49:04

I have had one 3 times; all with sedation. The first two were fine; the 3rd, for some reason, felt like the sedation didn't work as I can remember being aware of everything the consultant and nurses were saying and doing. It was not painful, just a little uncomfortable and I gagged a couple of times, but certainly didn't feel that I was going to be sick.

Kate1949 Sat 05-Sep-20 22:51:22

Thanks all. We are reassured.

Lizbethann55 Sun 06-Sep-20 17:05:52

I had one a few years ago. I decided to be tough and not have sedation. Big mistake. The gagging reflex was horrendous. If I had one again I would definitely have sedation. A couple of years ago I had a colonoscopy and was sedated. Most strange as I felt nothing but was wide awake. Found the pictures of my innards on the screen fascinating.

hulahoop Sun 06-Sep-20 17:18:34

I just had spray and no problems don't have anything when having colonoscopy .Like anything else I think a lot depends who is doing it !

annep1 Sun 06-Sep-20 17:18:48

I was so scared that I paid for an extra consultation just to talk about it. £120! Benenden only paid for one consultation.
Sedative injected. Not general aneasthetic. But might as well have been as I remember nothing. Definitely ask for sedation and he'll be fine. Rested for two hours afterwards then ok to go home.

midgey Sun 06-Sep-20 17:28:47

The spray is fine, not the best ten minutes but perfectly bearable. If you have the spray you can leave as soon as it over.

Ilovecheese Sun 06-Sep-20 17:42:00

No sedation, not pleasant but not awful. Beforehand, in my imagination the camera looked like a miniature box camera, but of course it is not, it encased in a smooth tube, so easily slides in and out.

ExD Sun 06-Sep-20 17:59:15

I agree with Annpl. If he's really worried DO make sure he gets proper sedation, not just light sedation.
I'm one of the unlucky ones who had a bad reaction and it put me off for life, I will never, ever have another. I won't describe it but it was horrendous.
Please don't ask him to be brave, its not worth it just to avoid a few hours of feeling groggy.
If you have a bad experience you will never forget it, it is really dreadful - if he's OK then next time he can make up his mind whether he can manage without or not.

Froglady Sun 06-Sep-20 18:07:41

The only way I would have an endoscopy is with sedation. I've had a few over the years and the first one was done without sedation and I hated it; I didn't gag or anything like that, I just found it very uncomfortable and scary. Sedation helps such a lot as it takes you away from what's happening.

Nonogran Sun 06-Sep-20 18:15:20

I've had a scope both ends. It's nothing to worry about & staff were brilliant, skilled & kind. I opted only for the throat spray, down went the scope & in less than 15 minutes it was all over. I had a sandwich & a cuppa and drove 25 miles home. Feel the fear & do it anyway. He'll be fine.

BlueSky Sun 06-Sep-20 18:15:41

ExD sorry to hear about your experience. Did you react badly to the sedation or to the procedure itself?

yorkie20 Sun 06-Sep-20 18:18:45

I have had 3 , two without any sedation other than the numbing spray and the last one with sedation. I didnt feel sick with any of the procedures. Maybe just to feel more relaxed have the spray and if you mention before having it done ask to have the sedation if feeling uncomfortable.
The only after effect was a slight sore throat for a short while.

Gymstagran Sun 06-Sep-20 18:26:36

You are told not to eat or drink for a long time before the procedure, I've forgotten how long. I suspect this is to avoid any sickness. I had the throat spray and did gag a few times but its soon over.

annep1 Sun 06-Sep-20 21:39:56

ExD sorry to hear about your awful experience. Please don't let it put you off if you ever need it again. I'm the worst coward ever, and I was fine with sedation.