Gransnet forums

Health

prostate (edited by HQ)

(21 Posts)
earnshaw Wed 16-Sep-20 00:40:52

amid all the worry about the virus, up to now my son in law and grandsons have it, we have now been informed that my husband as to go for a bone scan as his PSI is very high, it just seems one lot of worry after another

JackyB Wed 16-Sep-20 07:28:55

This test throws up a lot of false negatives. My husband had a scare with it and called off a cycling tour but everything has been fine since. On the other hand, Stephen Fry urged everyone to regularly test as his was positive.

I hope your men turn out to be not badly affected, but well done to them for going for the checkup. If anything develops, they will be able to nip it in the bud.

kittylester Wed 16-Sep-20 07:33:25

DH had yearly PSI tests and a couple of years ago, was referred and had treatment very quickly. Hes fine now - try not to worry.

JackyB Wed 16-Sep-20 07:34:57

Here is a down-to-earth report on the subject.

"BBC Radio 4 - Inside Health, Prostate Cancer" www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09tdyk1

Esspee Wed 16-Sep-20 07:45:44

When a man has been having regular PSA tests for prostate cancer it is exactly the same as a woman having regular mammograms in that knowing you tested negative only a few years ago so it gives you the knowledge and confidence that any cancer has been caught early when it is easily treatable.
It is a simple blood test so Gransnetters please, please, please ensure your husbands ask for this test regularly.

Esspee Wed 16-Sep-20 08:05:05

earnshaw. This must be a very worrying time for you. I have been through what you are going through and it is burned into my memory for life.
You need to start reading up on the subject and start paying attention to everything you are told. You need to be strong.

How high is his PSA reading? They will only be doing a bone scan if they feel the cancer might have spread. Has a biopsy been scheduled or is his PSA score so high that a cancer diagnosis is clear?

If you haven’t been told you need to ask. Is your husband shielding you from what he has been told? I remember that appointment as though it was yesterday. The doctor was speaking but there was a roaring in my head and I couldn’t speak. Were you with him? If not make a joint appointment and take a list of questions with you.
Normally there is a period of time between the first two PSA tests so that they can work out how aggressive the cancer is.
Keep pushing for details, the sooner you get answers the sooner treatment can be started.
Thinking about you both. ?

BlueSky Wed 16-Sep-20 08:09:25

Esspee
It is a simple blood test so Gransnetters please, please, please ensure your husbands ask for this test
Wise words Esspee
Earnshaw try not to panic, easier said I know.

kittylester Wed 16-Sep-20 08:50:55

I know there are some dreadful out comes but my husband is off to the gym in a minute.

Kate1949 Wed 16-Sep-20 13:56:22

My husband was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2014. After 37 consecutive days if radiotherapy, several scans, all is OK so far. If it helps, his consultant said that he has seen men with sky high PSI levels and not had cancer. Best wishes to you.

Kate1949 Wed 16-Sep-20 13:58:05

I wish they would make it available for every man. I believe it is the most common cancer in the UK now.

Esspee Wed 16-Sep-20 14:18:46

Kate1949. Prostate cancer PSA tests are available on the NHS for every man over 50 and any others showing symptoms or who are high risk.
Men are wimps and all the jokes about rectal checks put many of them off requesting screening. What is needed is publicity making men aware that the PSA test is a simple blood test, just a needle prick and also that if PC is discovered early it is simple to treat.

kittylester Wed 16-Sep-20 14:33:49

Dh had been just asking for psalm to be done everytime he was sent for blood test.

Kate1949 Wed 16-Sep-20 14:39:58

Oh are they Esspee? My DH is no wimp! I'm the wimp here. If he has a problem, he gets it sorted. He had the rectal exam, all that radiotherapy, plus a prostate biopsy where they inserted 11 needles into his prostate without sedation. He is going next week for an endoscopy.

Kate1949 Wed 16-Sep-20 14:41:31

Sorry I meant oh are the tests available not oh are all men wimps! I didn't know that test was available.

GrannySomerset Wed 16-Sep-20 14:48:48

And even if the results are alarming, my DH is still with us thirteen years after his radical prostatectomy. If it weren’t for the Parkinson’s he would be fine.

Judy54 Wed 16-Sep-20 14:51:41

Hello earnshaw what a difficult time for you and your family. Try not to worry to much about the high PSA reading and scan. Yes there can be false negatives or it could be an enlarged prostate. My Partner had high PSA readings a few years ago and did have prostate cancer for which he received treatment. He has PSA readings every 6 months and all is well now. Keep positive and take care.

joannapiano Wed 16-Sep-20 15:57:37

DH had a Psa reading of 315 in November. He had bone scans. MRI, biopsy etc. He was diagnosed with advanced cancer as it has spread to his pelvis and lymph nodes.
He had 5 courses of chemo, which he tolerated well, then the bloomin’ virus stopped all treatment.
However. He remains well and life goes on relatively normally.
He awaits a course of radiotherapy, hopefully next month.
We have mostly good days, and remain positive.
The only symptom he had was occasionally getting up in the night to wee.
Thinking of you earnshaw.

Kate1949 Wed 16-Sep-20 16:10:15

That was my husband's only symptom too joanna. He assumed it was a symptom of his type 2 diabetes and only went to his GP when there was something on TV about prostate cancer. Thank goodness he did.

Esspee Wed 23-Sep-20 07:42:45

earnshaw Have you had clarification of the situation yet?
I do so hope you received good news.

Puzzled Sat 26-Sep-20 20:16:55

A friend monitored his PSA and was diagnosed with prostate cancer. , at about 60 (like my late F i L) He had keyhole surgery, and has been OK for the last 4 or 5 years.
Unfortunately, during the op nerves were cut which cause severe problems. But faced with the choice between living for another 30 years or more, and problems with ED, it tends to be a no brainer, while you try to find means of coping with side effects on you and yours.

Esspee Mon 28-Sep-20 12:07:10

After the death of my husband from PC I made a point of bringing up the subject of having a regular PSA test with everyone. Two men who acted on my suggestion tested positive and I helped them both with research into the best treatment.
Brachytherapy was the top treatment at that time 12 and 9 years ago. Of course better treatments may now be available.

Both had brachytherapy (radioactive pellets were inserted into the prostate to kill off the cancer cells). Apart from bruising and no longer being fertile neither men had any side effects. Both are now perfectly healthy and happy.

I am writing this as fear of side effects seem to be a major barrier to men seeking treatment. The first op. was done privately, the second on the NHS. Both were identical.

Both actually admitted their sex life had improved as they could last for longer. Do not let the men in your life die because of fear. Persuade them to have the simple blood test.