Gransnet forums

Health

Anyone been prescribed Peppermint oil

(16 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Fri 18-Sep-20 12:47:08

Having phoned dr up this morning due to horrendous reflux he is giving me peppermint oil, having pressure pain and bloating too, for the last few days waking up and having to rush to the toilet, I actually asked if I could have stool sample tested,the reflux has been going on for a very long time, dr has agreed and sample to drs on Monday, I know they don’t like seeing you, but I did say I feel I should be examined, was told if no better to contact next week.

Blinko Fri 18-Sep-20 12:52:01

If our surgery is anything to go by, you have to be very assertive if you want to actually see anyone. What are they all doing, I wonder?

Tabbycat Fri 18-Sep-20 13:01:04

I was diagnosed with GORD (gastro-oesophageal reflux disease) earlier this year and was put on Peptac (amongst other things), which has peppermint oil in it. I had tried peppermint oil from our local healthstore before diagnosis, but it only offered limited relief.

BlueSky Fri 18-Sep-20 13:21:04

You too with stomach issues! I find that Gaviscon Advance helps but I too was wondering about Peppermint oil. I've been lucky in speaking to a very good doctor in our practice, not only he examined me but ordered blood tests and possibly an endoscopy or CT scan, as they don't seem to do endoscopies because of Covid.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:21:41

Believe me blinko, I’m a very assertive person, I did say that my probs with my reflux has been going on for a very long time, and I’ve not been given any tests whatsoever nothing! Hopefully after Monday the ball will start rolling in my favour, were you given a upper endoscopy Tabbycat, I’m on omperazole 20mg

TrendyNannie6 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:28:27

I would really like to be examined Bluesky, hopefully it will happen if this pressure pain and horrendous reflux doesn’t subside, waking up in the morning with acid reflux making me cough, not being able to swollow certain foods without choking, something’s gotta to be done, I’m doing all I can drinking just water, bed raised, no food after a certain time before bed, eating lean meats, don’t smoke or drink. Cut out chocolate etc

Tea3 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:38:12

Taking Silicolgel has made such a difference to my reflux problems that I've stopped taking the prescribed proton pump inhibitor tablets. Silicolgel is available from Boots, Holland & Barrett and Amazon. But best get it all checked out with the GP too.

Tea3 Fri 18-Sep-20 13:44:27

20mg of omeprazole is not much. Minimum dosage I think. If you are taking these are in capsule form it's probably worth you hearing that I found the celluloid type coating to the capsule (proper name eludes me) gave me bloating and what I can only describe as belly ache. Took a long time for me to identify the problem. A change to tablets made an immediate difference

BlueSky Fri 18-Sep-20 13:49:35

Very similar to you Trendy but eventually it'll all go as it happened before. I thought I had a stomach virus last year but it seems too much of a coincidence to get it again!

Tabbycat Fri 18-Sep-20 17:30:53

I went to the doctor with a persistent productive cough in April 2019. After an initial course of antibiotics, my chest was sounded and X-rayed, sputum tested, various tablets and inhalers prescribed and eventually I was sent to the chest clinic last November.
The consultant did various tests - blood pressure, heart function, lung capacity etc. - said she thought it was asthma brought on by GORD - changed the type and dosage of tablets and inhalers and told me to return April 2020 for a review.
By April COVID-19 had arrived and all outpatient appointments were postponed. I was offered a telephone appointment with the consultant, but that was cancelled.
In August I had a telephone appointment with a numpty at the hospital who obviously hadn't read my notes - he didn't even know which tests had been done or which medication I'd been prescribed. I think he wanted to reduce my medication, but said he would send a letter - it hasn't come yet.
I rang my GP - they had a letter from the numpty - and I'm now on reduced medications. Symptoms have started to return, so I shall be making another appointment to see my GP!! Wish me luck!

Tabbycat Fri 18-Sep-20 17:41:52

Sorry,^TrendyNannie^, I meant to also say my symptoms were just like those you describe and I tried some of the things you are doing - raising the head end of the bed; not eating certain foods later in the day (fresh cream and flaky pastry seemed to make it worse); taking peppermint oil.
I was being woken up with indigestion and nausea most nights - drank a lot of Gaviscon. grin

BlueSky Sat 19-Sep-20 12:13:54

Tia3 I think I'll try the Silicolgel as if you say it helps when the reflux. Won't hurt trying anyway.

Tea3 Sat 19-Sep-20 16:23:22

Bluesky, silicolgel really helped me after 30 years of acid reflux and indigestion. I had a barium meal and three gastroscopies plus biopsies in those years and each time when nothing could be seen to be wrong the medics lost interest. Eventually I was put on proton pump inhibitors. My diet for years excluded anything acidic or acid forming. I came across Silicolgel about two years ago and thought nothing to be lost by giving it a go. If Boots sold it then it must be ok to take. It has made a huge difference .... for me. I know everyone is different but I do hope it helps you too.

Dinahmo Sat 19-Sep-20 16:35:38

I sometimes have bouts of what I call colic. My colon gets irritated and goes into spasm. Sometimes it's because I haven't been drinking enough fluid and sometimes because I've eaten raw, or very lightly cooked vegetables.

I was prescribed Colpermin which comes in capsules. This ensures that the peppermint oil gets to your colon, rather than stay in your stomach. This was a long time ago and I've just checked that it's still around. It's now being marketed as a treatment for IBS. You might be able to buy it over the counter.

I've had problems recently but here in France they sell peppermint oil which you have to put on neutral tablets on order to swallow it. A bit of a pfaff so I'd try Colpermin. Not sure that it would help with the reflux though.

BlueSky Sat 19-Sep-20 16:56:16

Thanks Tea going to order it now!

PamelaJ1 Sat 19-Sep-20 18:10:43

Should you have an endoscopy?
My sister did when she was suffering from acid reflux.