Gransnet forums

Health

People’s energy

(7 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Thu 01-Oct-20 16:37:55

Has anyone changed their electric/ gas provider over to the peoples energy which is saying you can save quite a bit on your usual energy costs. We’ve transferred over however we received an email today saying they’ve had to hike up our monthly direct debit. It seemed this business was on the dragons den where all the dragons wanted to buy into it as it looked a good idea. I’d like to hear from any gransnetters who may have transferred over. Waiting in anticipation.

NotSpaghetti Mon 05-Oct-20 16:58:16

The monthly direct debit doesn’t necessarily reflect the final bill. It may be that they are covering themselves as you are a new customer.
Check out the actual tariff against your consumption last year so you know what you’ll be spending.

ElaineI Mon 05-Oct-20 18:34:52

My mother is with them Elizabeth. My brother manages the energy (we share out things Mum can no longer do) and he has had an email saying the same. He will keep an eye on it. I take monthly readings and he sends them to the company and gets an immediate quote on her account - how much has been used and how much it costs. He is happy with them just now - been a couple of years. I think all energy prices are set to rise though.

Elizabeth1 Wed 07-Oct-20 20:01:00

Thank you NotSpagetti you’re probably right and yes* Elaine *my gas/electric direct debit was given a huge hike up recently here’s hoping our changeover will reduce our monthly debit

Esspee Wed 07-Oct-20 22:03:01

I recommend Money Saving Expert to discover the best deals available. Their calculator works it all out for you just input how much electricity and gas you used in the past year.

Fuchsiarose Thu 08-Oct-20 17:42:39

These electric companies get an estimated monthly bill from your previous one. This can be extortionate unless you challenge them. I was threatened with bailiffs etc, a moth after taking up with an electric company. After 2 months they said my monthly bill was 850 pounds, a month. I live alone, so I knew it was wrong. I went straight to the top. Typed in CEOs of all electricity companies and the CEOs email came up. I battled for 3 months. Via email. Posting readings etc. Then got a solicitor. Soon changed their mind then. I got a refund of 14.00 pds. Debt disappeared. Then they tried it again by informing my new provider that my monthly dd should be 150 pds. Providers rework together to decide what YOU should pay based on an estimate of last year. When I did not live here. I soon sorted them out too. Result monthly dd of less than 40.00. I advise anyone thinking of taking up with a new provider to go to Trust pilot reviews or similar to find out what existing customers are saying about them. All that glitters is not gold, and customers tell it like it is

Tweedle24 Thu 08-Oct-20 17:47:21

I was going to go with them but, when I rang to cancel with SSE, they matched the other price and gave me a £50 voucher.