Gransnet forums

Health

Shaky hands

(11 Posts)
brazenp75 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:53:16

My hands have just started shaking quite a lot when I try and eat, or do things like clip my nails - anything that needs a bit of concentration. Any help available? I'm 75 and it's only begun in the last few weeks..........

Charleygirl5 Mon 26-Oct-20 11:55:53

You need to see your GP to get a diagnosis.

Blossoming Mon 26-Oct-20 11:56:51

I think you need to speak to a doctor to find out what’s causing this.

PinkCakes Mon 26-Oct-20 14:44:42

It can be caused by a few things. Only a qualified medical person would be able to tell you.

biba70 Mon 26-Oct-20 19:05:15

yes, you really need to see a doctor- the internet is just not the place.

It could be a sign of Parkinson's as I am sure you are aware, or it could be related to long term alcohol intake, or so many other things. Go asap and get proper advice. x

Doodle Mon 26-Oct-20 19:07:54

It could be essential tremor which is nothing to do with Parkinson’s or alcohol. It could be anything or nothing . Best to see GP .

Bellanonna Mon 26-Oct-20 19:10:35

I agree Doodle. Let’s not jump to unnecessary conclusions.

jacq10 Mon 26-Oct-20 19:16:54

My DH experienced similar symptoms. Came on very suddenly and was diagnosed with an essential tremor. He was prescribed a low dosage tablet which is used to treat epilepsy and the shake cleared up within a week. As others have said, do definitely consult your surgery.

brazenp75 Tue 27-Oct-20 10:09:39

Thanks everyone; I'll do what you recommend although getting to see a Doc is almost impossible at the mo................phone calls only.

Luckygirl Tue 27-Oct-20 10:13:36

I hope you can get to talk with your GP - they sometimes do this on Zoom if it is something that needs visual input.

It sounds as though you have "intention tremor" which appears in situations like trying to get a spoon to your mouth. This only occurs in a minority of PD patients, and usually just occurs on its own for no known reason. Speak to GP and get this cleared up.

I am sorry you have this problem to worry about.

FannyCornforth Tue 27-Oct-20 10:15:29

Hello brazen
Don't worry - GP s are still seeing patients when they feel that they need to.
Hope it gets sorted soon.