Gransnet forums

Health

Views on ear wax removal by suction

(18 Posts)
Aepgirl Sat 21-Nov-20 12:39:30

Not a very glamorous subject, but I am having hearing problems, and my GP (yes, I got to see him!) said I had wax build up in my ears and to use ear drops to soften it. It doesn’t seem to be working, and GPS are reluctant to syringe now. However, there are private clinics that use some sort of suction to remove wax. Anybody tried this, and is it successful?

Jane10 Sat 21-Nov-20 12:47:46

Oh yes. I had this done and it was great. The audiologist let me see before and after pictures of my ear drums. There must be a camera on the end of the little 'hoover'. It was quick and completely painless. The noise of the 'sooking' was disconcerting but otherwise fine.
It was a private clinic but the man was very honest (or just professional) and showed me that only one ear had a build up of wax. I'd happily have paid for both to be done.

Oldbat1 Sat 21-Nov-20 12:49:47

Think it costs between £30 and £50 to have it done. Luckily our local surgery still offers ear syringing service currently.

Jane10 Sat 21-Nov-20 12:54:17

I couldn't have syringing as I've previously had burst ear drums. Our practice nurse no longer does syringing.

Jaxjacky Sat 21-Nov-20 13:01:11

I had mine micro suctioned a few weeks ago, softened for five days beforehand with olive oil. Painless, efficient and quick, flipping expensive as GP no longer does it.

MellowYellow Sat 21-Nov-20 13:08:59

I have it done regularly at our NHS hospital (most recently a month ago) with a referral from my doctor. I have narrow ear canals so syringing doesn't work for me. It's noisy but very effective!

Marmight Sat 21-Nov-20 13:39:53

Yes. Go for it! It’s quick & painless. I have it done a couple of times a year. It was at the NHS hospital when I lived in Scotland but I seem to be out of the loop now Im living in England so I go privately. The best £40 I ever spend.

Aepgirl Sun 22-Nov-20 11:20:45

Thanks all. Looks like this is the way forward for me. Just another thought - is it OK if you have tinnitus?

silverlining48 Sun 22-Nov-20 11:31:17

Yes you can have both suctioning and tinnitus. I have an annual appointment at the hospital as have other ear issues which need careful treatment. Was advised by ENT consultant not to have syringing.

Ellianne Sun 22-Nov-20 11:36:54

A patient on GPs being closed doors was told he couldnt have suction because he had had a previous stroke?

NotSpaghetti Sun 22-Nov-20 12:00:11

One option seems to be a sort of flushing of the ear with a warm watery solution. Not sure what that's called. Also after oil softening.
Done by a nurse in my husband's case. Wonder if technically that's syringing?

Patsy70 Sun 22-Nov-20 12:58:26

There was a previous thread on this subject, and I seem to recall that syringing is available at Specsavers in their audiology section. I wonder if that would be the answer to my slight deafness and itchiness in the ears.

B9exchange Sun 22-Nov-20 13:03:04

NotSpag, yes, that is the old fashioned ear syringing. Most GP surgeries have stopped doing this after their CCGs deemed it non-essential. They should try living with blocked ears!

I went privately to an audiologist, had been putting the drops in for 5 days, so it was really easy. I had the camera for before and after pictures, fascinating! Cost me £70 for both ears, but we do live in a very expensive area. The relief was incredible!

MiniMoon Sun 22-Nov-20 13:15:06

I bought myself a little syringing kit, and do it myself. It is very effective and surprisingly easy. I believe our surgery still does it, but I haven't been back since the nurse who did the syringing made me feel uncomfortable about having to have it done.

LadyStardust Sun 22-Nov-20 13:16:30

www.specsavers.co.uk/hearing/earwax/earwax-removal?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXtA-2qbshfoqZoUk5pD77IokzXeNZEVhyy9LfQBcKUDjT12i07m0eRoC7vEQAvD_BwE

I've heard good things about this. I will have to have a visit shortly as my GP has stopped syringing. I make the most enormous amount of wax! I think Boots do a similar service too.

NotSpaghetti Sun 22-Nov-20 13:57:33

I think it's probably better to not syringe as just read it has a 17% risk of infection!!!

Maybe look at the mico-vacuum option??

Aepgirl Mon 23-Nov-20 15:20:35

Since first posting this thread, I have spoken to the receptionist at my GP’s surgery who now tells me that a private audiologist leases a room at the surgery and does this suction system. Why was I not told about this before? Anyway, I have requested a call from them to discuss my situation (Hope I’ll be able to hear them!).

Jane10 Mon 23-Nov-20 15:27:16

That sounds good Aepgirl. Let us know how you get on.