Gransnet forums

Health

Flu Jab

(25 Posts)
minxie Thu 26-Nov-20 11:21:20

I’ve been asked by my GP practice to go and have a flu jab, as I have popped up on their records that I am eligible for one. Probably because I had a very small stroke last year.
I never get colds,never mind the flu. I’m not one for taking medication unless I really have to.
So do I or don’t I? Someone else could have one who is in more need than me.
Thoughts please

Grannynannywanny Thu 26-Nov-20 11:29:10

If your GP didn’t think it was beneficial for you to have the flu jag it wouldn’t have been advised. It’s best to have whatever protection we can going into the winter season.

You’ll get lots of opinions on the topic here. But I’d say take the advice of your doctor.

Lucca Thu 26-Nov-20 11:34:03

For years I was eligible through my job and didn’t take it for the reasons you mention but this year I did really because of COVID I think, no ,point risking flu as well. Also I’m 70 now. (How did that happen?!)

MiniMoon Thu 26-Nov-20 15:21:34

I would if I were you. The flu jab is being offered for over 50's because of the risk associated with covid 19.
My sister has been for hers.

Onthenaughtystep1 Thu 26-Nov-20 15:42:41

I’ve been having the flu vaccination for years now. My grandmother died of complications from flu so I am grateful there is a way to lessen my chances of getting it.
With the double risk this year I feel you really should take advantage of it.

minxie Thu 26-Nov-20 21:30:21

Thanks Ladies

Cabbie21 Thu 26-Nov-20 21:55:42

Your decision entirely, but I am one who does not have the flu jab. I did consider it this year, for reasons mentioned above, but since I am not going anywhere to avoid COVID, I feel I am unlikely to encounter flu germs. That is my point of view.

Blossoming Thu 26-Nov-20 22:00:54

It’s offered to stroke survivors as your immunity may be compromised. A stroke has many invisible effects that people may not be aware of.

EllanVannin Thu 26-Nov-20 22:06:10

I would if I were you for the reason that although you had a small stroke ( TIA ) means that you must have had high blood-pressure at the time and this virus thrives on high blood-pressure. The 'flu jab will give you so much protection even if you don't bother with the Covid one.

Lavazza1st Thu 26-Nov-20 22:10:22

I'd say go fot the flu jab. Every little helps. My husband has a rare lung condition and he was told that having a flu jab might help him get covid less severely if he got it.

No idea if thats true, but surely worth a try.

Witzend Thu 26-Nov-20 22:10:52

Having had proper flu just once - over Christmas, as Sod’s Law would have it - I’ve always have the flu jab since I’ve been eligible.
I was much younger when flu hit me, and it still knocked my stuffing right out for a good 3 weeks.

Witzend Thu 26-Nov-20 22:11:17

...always had...

Luckygirl Thu 26-Nov-20 22:29:46

Do it! You have been off3red it for a reason.

Lavazza1st Thu 26-Nov-20 22:35:04

I agree with Luckygirl There are people who want it that can't get it, so if you're fortunate enough to be offered it, take it.

It figures that if you get flu like Witzend describes then your defences would be low and you might struggle to fight off covid. It would be mad to turn it down . I believe.

JenniferEccles Thu 26-Nov-20 22:53:09

I’m just wondering why you wouldn’t want to have it ?
The only downside is a slightly sore arm for a couple of days.

growstuff Thu 26-Nov-20 23:15:56

I'm not sure it's anything to do with immunity. However, people who have had strokes are at a higher risk of developing serious complications from flu.

If you've had a stroke, it's likely that you have narrowed arteries, weak blood vessels caused by high blood pressure, existing small clots or a number of other cardio-vascular conditions. It depends what kind of stroke you had.

The flu vaccination is made from dead viruses and cannot give you flu, although it might trigger an immune response, which makes you feel mildly unwell.

About 50% of people hospitalised for flu have a history of heart problems.

Jaffacake2 Thu 26-Nov-20 23:31:22

I have been called for the flu jab but am scared to have it as over last 8 years have had serious anaphylactic shocks to different foods and drugs. The Gp has said that I can stay in the surgery afterwards and they will resuscitate me if I have an allergic reaction. But seems like playing Russian roulette and very scary. What should I do ?

welbeck Thu 26-Nov-20 23:35:02

dr bharat pankhania, who lectures on infectious diseases has been urging for some time that everyone should have a flu jab this year.
he said if a person was to be unlucky enough to get flu and covid at the same time, their chances of survival would be much lower.
twitter.com/doctorshaib?lang=en

SueDonim Fri 27-Nov-20 01:23:23

Witzend

Having had proper flu just once - over Christmas, as Sod’s Law would have it - I’ve always have the flu jab since I’ve been eligible.
I was much younger when flu hit me, and it still knocked my stuffing right out for a good 3 weeks.

Same for me. I had flu which came on suddenly as I was dishing up the turkey on Christmas Day 2017. I took to my bed and didn’t get up again until 2018.

I wasn’t old enough for the NHS jab in autumn 2018 so paid for it, and have had my NHS flu jabs since. I really do not want to feel that ill again, ever.

M0nica Fri 27-Nov-20 08:38:01

I have never had flu, neither has anyone in my immediate family (parents, siblings), despite being in the eye of the storm in several epidemics. I have therefore never had a flu jab - until this year, when I have, for the first time, decided to have it.

The reason for this change has absolutely nothing to do with being protected from flu, that comes built in, but the flu jab, as a side effect strengthens the immune system generally and in current circumstances, anything that strengthens the immune system is a good thing.

JessK Fri 27-Nov-20 10:04:05

I've always declined to have the jab but this year I've decided that it's probably a good thing to have one. Like MOnika I'd heard about the bonus protection so thought it would be a good idea to give it a go.

Alegrias2 Fri 27-Nov-20 10:25:35

Jaffacake2

I have been called for the flu jab but am scared to have it as over last 8 years have had serious anaphylactic shocks to different foods and drugs. The Gp has said that I can stay in the surgery afterwards and they will resuscitate me if I have an allergic reaction. But seems like playing Russian roulette and very scary. What should I do ?

Jaffacake2, take your doctor's advice, no question about that. Discuss your concerns with him/her and then decide.

mamaa Fri 27-Nov-20 10:33:24

I’m in my v early 60’s and received a txt from our surgery this morning to go for a flu jab in December. Booked myself and ‘im indoors’ in straight away- was a bit sceptical when it was announced a few days ago that all the over 50’s would be offered the jab at their drs, and the surgeries would get in touch. Well, I’m glad my scepticism was proved wrong and that it’s been offered as promised.

eazybee Fri 27-Nov-20 13:06:06

I have had the flu jab since it was offered to me, Ithink about nine years ago. I had a small stroke three years ago and have continued with the jab as advised. This year the injections took place in the Ferry port; unfortunately no trip to France included.

jusnoneed Fri 27-Nov-20 14:15:39

I was surprised to receive a phone call from my doctors surgery last week (haven't spoken to anyone from there for over 30 years!) asking me if I wanted to have to jab. I politely declined and she said "ok I will mark that on your records" so I was again surprised to get a two page NHS letter in the post a couple days ago - again offering the jab.

I had the flu about 15 years ago, ill for about a week (took to my bed for two days which is virtually unheard of) and then another week or so to feel right, but have not had a bad cold since. My OH has a cough/cold from the minute he has the jab until the summer!