Gransnet forums

Health

Trapped nerve in neck

(7 Posts)
toots139 Sun 29-Nov-20 11:21:38

Asking for a friend who has recurring trapped nerves in her neck. She has had sports massages, physio and acupuncture over the years. Anyone here used any type of neck massager that helped. There are lots of electronic ones on the market but it is difficult to know which one would help her most. Thank you.

Astral Sun 29-Nov-20 12:13:30

The only thing that works for me is stretching my spine. I sit up straight and let my head hang forward. It's important not to force it, just let the weight of the head gently stretch. You feel it down your whole spine so certain to find the problem.

Fennel Sun 29-Nov-20 12:42:03

I used to have that often at one time. i didn't have any treatment. but did an exercise similar to Astral.
Twisted left arm behind my back.
Reach over right shoulder with right arm and grab hands.
Then head up and pull on grip. A few times.
It eased the pain.

Charleygirl5 Sun 29-Nov-20 13:35:37

She really needs to see her GP who may refer her to an orthopaedic consultant or a neurosurgeon to get a proper diagnosis.

Is the pain radiating down one or both arms and are the hands/fingers involved?

Please do not let her waste money until she has a diagnosis. She should not exacerbate the problem.

M0nica Mon 30-Nov-20 09:56:35

DH had that.He saw our GP and then a consultant, who diagnosed that the cause was damage to the top vertibrae in his neck. He had 5 steroid injections into his neck and that seems to have solved the problem.

Trapped nerves over a long period are a problem that should be treated medically, not by physios, chiropractors, et al, however good. If the problem involves damaged vertibrae, as in the case of DH, you friend could end up with really severe damage to her spine that is irremedial.

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Nov-20 10:26:54

Yes, it sounds like she should have an x-ray.
It could be spinal stenosis which you can get in the lumbar region and also in the neck.

toots139 Tue 01-Dec-20 18:24:09

Thank you. She is doing these exercises currently.