Gransnet forums

Health

Hip pain at night - tips re pillow ‘between the knees’

(18 Posts)
Mwdebbie Mon 30-Nov-20 11:58:52

I’m on the waiting list for a hip replacement and take regular prescribed pain medication. But I still have pain at night, relieved by sleeping on my side with a pillow between my knees. But a normal -sized pillow is too big! Can anyone pass on tips about a small pillow they’ve found helpful (or any hip- related sleeping tips full stop!) many thanks

midgey Mon 30-Nov-20 12:05:28

I think you can buy these special pillows, sure I have seen them in Aldi. Try looking on line.

Juliet27 Mon 30-Nov-20 12:10:30

Might be worth trying to sleep on your back to see if that helps as you’ll have to for a while anyway after the operation.

Nonogran Mon 30-Nov-20 13:06:25

Hello MwDebbie
It amounts to trial & error.
I bought an expensive special between knees pillow and hated how firm & unyeilding it was.
I've succeeded with a small decorative pillow bought from Dunelm. Washable cover, colour coordinated to look pretty during the day sitting on our bed and comfortable enough for nightime use.
Works well, not too expensive to replace & just the right softness/firmness for easing my hip & metal knee replacement.

Mwdebbie Mon 30-Nov-20 14:15:02

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Dunelm, here I come (on Thursday!)

MayBee70 Mon 30-Nov-20 15:29:22

When I had sciatica I slept with a pillow between my knees or under my knees if I slept on my back. I got into the habit of moving the pillow even when I was half asleep. I still get pain in my lower back, shoulder or knees if I sleep in a dodgy position. It’s amazing how much your sleeping position can exacerbate problems.

shysal Mon 30-Nov-20 16:47:59

There are lots on Ebay. There is a fairly new one by JML available at Boots and supermarkets.
JML knee pillow

biba70 Wed 02-Dec-20 16:13:11

and get a good quality foam mattress topper- that really helps.

geekesse Wed 02-Dec-20 16:33:50

Before my hip op I used a duck down pillow, which squashed nicely to the right size and shape.

ziashani Mon 28-Dec-20 14:23:48

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Charleygirl5 Mon 28-Dec-20 14:30:00

Post-op you will have to sleep on your back as another poster said, for 6 weeks. You will need a pillow between your legs to stop you rolling over during the night. Best to learn sleeping on your back now, you can always pop pillows under your head if you want a slight incline if know what I mean.

MrsJamJam Mon 28-Dec-20 16:55:31

When I had my hip replacement, two years ago, surgeon said no need to sleep on your back that's old advice, just sleep in any way that's comfortable. The best thing was instantly getting rid of that nagging pain that all OA sufferers will know only too well.

Jane10 Mon 28-Dec-20 18:25:32

My poor DD has just found that she needs a hip replacement. It was a big shock as she's only 38 but the pain had been building up and up. They already have a memory foam mattress and she's been using a pillow too. This thread prompted me to research these special pillows suggested and she's going to try and get one.
Goodness knows when her op will be. Poor girl.

GrannyLaine Mon 28-Dec-20 19:47:06

I think it will be pretty much trial and error Mwdebbie I have hip and knee pain that is worse at night but have to move frequently and pillows are a darned nuisance. I can only get comfortable in a modified recovery position with my knee making the shape of the number 4, iyswim. My daughter, bless her, bought me one of the JML pillows. It lasted about 5 seconds. I too need a hip replacement but am very reluctant.

tictacnana Mon 28-Dec-20 22:53:28

I had a hip replacement at 48. I’ve had a lot of leg and foot procedures due to having polio as a baby. The hip surgery was the least painful- in fact, hardly any pain- and it changed my life and enabled me to carry on working until past retirement age.

FannyCornforth Sun 24-Jul-22 08:39:42

Reported

Nell8 Sun 24-Jul-22 08:53:10

To help with hip and lower back pain I fold a mattress topper into one third its length and lay the strip across my bed at hip/waist level. When needed I tuck the loose ends under my body, front and back to support my weight and stabilise my position. This is in addition to using a down pillow between the knees. It's certainly cosy and more of a cold weather practice!

Spice101 Sun 24-Jul-22 08:57:54

MrsJamJam

When I had my hip replacement, two years ago, surgeon said no need to sleep on your back that's old advice, just sleep in any way that's comfortable. The best thing was instantly getting rid of that nagging pain that all OA sufferers will know only too well.

Same here MrsJamJam. I found a fairly flat cushion did the job for me. It is only about 2 or 3 inches thick but was enough to relieve the pain prior to the op.