Gransnet forums

Health

co codamol 30/500

(35 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 01-Dec-20 12:10:53

My dear sister gave me some of the above as i am in so much pain with my right leg. (Suspected osteoarthritis). I took one this morning and when i went out for my 30min walk which i am trying to do everyday, even if somewhat slowly, i was amazed at the difference the tablet had made. I am due a review of my mediation this month so i will tell my gp and ask for some on my next prescription. I know you shouldn't take other people's prescribed medication but some days the pain is unbearable and i was popping paracetamol or ibropruen and not getting anywhere the relief i experienced this morning. I won't take anymore today but mornings are my busy time, walking, shopping housework etc and i was feeling desperate. Would you have done the same or am i taking a risk???

vena11 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:26:51

Co codamol is codeine and paracetamol, don't take any other pain killers with this tablet. Best to ask your doctor before taking anymore.

MrsThreadgoode Tue 01-Dec-20 12:28:14

Well my DD is on the same pills and if she takes the recommended dose she is so zonked out and swimmy that she can’t do anything, but with a slight tweak of the dose she finds them very helpful.
She found out about them by taking a friends pills, the Dr wasn’t happy about it, but hadn’t offered them to her, as she is in her 40s she needs something to help her through each day.

MissAdventure Tue 01-Dec-20 12:33:10

I take whatever I can find if I'm in pain.

Charleygirl5 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:36:35

My GP prescribed that drug for me before my knee replacement but for me, it did zilch, acted like Smarties. Each is different.

You need to see your GP, discuss your problems and maybe be referred to an orthopaedic surgeon.

BlueSky Tue 01-Dec-20 12:37:34

My DH takes them when his sciatica is unbearable but if taken as prescribed he’s too zonked out so he tweaks them to suit him. He had them before but this time the GP was rather reluctant to prescribe them, apparently they’re no longer keen to prescribe opioids, relying on nerve pain medication, which unfortunately doesn’t suit everybody.

Iam64 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:38:49

I was prescribed them post op, when I needed the proper dose every four hours for several days. I was relieved to stop taking them as the pain lessened.
A few years later, they were prescribed for arthritic pain. I'd prefer anti inflammatories but can't take them. They're good pain killers, can be addictive so it isn't recommended you take them longer than three days. I rarely take anything, but they are brilliant if sleep is being disrupted by pain that wakes you. Ive found paracetamol doesn't touch the edge of arthritic pain, co-codomal hits it.

growstuff Tue 01-Dec-20 12:45:30

30/500 is the highest strength of co-dydramol. Your GP will probably be reluctant to prescribe that strength because you won't be able to increase the dose of codeine, which can be addictive.

Wilma65 Tue 01-Dec-20 12:50:15

Have you tried the 8/500. I take them for pain. The 30/500 are strong. You can buy the 8/500 from the chemist if you want to try them before getting them anything prescription

MayBee70 Tue 01-Dec-20 13:54:53

Please be careful with ibuprofen, too. A friend of mine was prescribed ibuprofen but without losec and she ended up with a life threatening stomach ulcer. I’ve got a very painful shoulder and must admit that I’m going to take some codeine for a couple of days. But I won’t be driving anywhere as I know it will make me drowsy. Pain is so tiring isn’t it. Your whole body tenses up because of it and doing anything is such hard work.

Franbern Tue 01-Dec-20 14:04:55

I used that strength Co-Codamol, when I had a fall last year and serious hurt my back (almost totally immobile. This was eventually discovered to be a stress fracture of the spine.
They were the ONLY painkillers that helped me in those early days. Was taking the full eight per day - two every four hours.
I normally take the two of the 8/300 to help me with pain at night. But will admit to keeping some of those stronger tabs here for real emergencies.

Grannynannywanny Tue 01-Dec-20 14:20:01

Be wary of the possible gastric upsets with codeine. As MayBee70 mentioned, the risk of stomach ulcer if not taken with a protector such as losec.

Also, codeine can very quickly lead to constipation problems. My friend was prescribed it after knee surgery. She became so constipated she needed an enema to get relief.

Davidhs Tue 01-Dec-20 14:23:33

I have a knee that causes me a lot of pain if I walk far GP prescribed Cocodamol 15/500 to take when needed, the effect wore off quite quickly. I find Nurofen Plus which is 13/500 Ibuprofen works better, lasts longer.

Nanna58 Tue 01-Dec-20 14:26:35

I am impressed that you can even stand upright on them,let alone walk , they put me out for the count. Respect!!{?

Baggs Tue 01-Dec-20 14:27:32

vena11

Co codamol is codeine and paracetamol, don't take any other pain killers with this tablet. Best to ask your doctor before taking anymore.

You can take aspirin or ibuprofen with Co-codamol. I have done for years, with my GP's knowledge.

Elusivebutterfly Tue 01-Dec-20 15:03:43

I was prescribed 30/500 CoCodamol for sciatica. It did help with the pain but made me sleep around 15 hours a day and upset my stomach so much I lost weight. I didn't take it for long and was then prescribed 8/500 which I took for a long time. I did not find it addictive and the lower dose is enough to dull the pain.

luluaugust Tue 01-Dec-20 15:10:55

Unbelievably now, my mum was prescribed codeine for IBS fifty years ago because they cause constipation and thus seemed to help but she did become hooked on them and it was years before she could get off them. Please be careful.

GrannyLaine Tue 01-Dec-20 15:10:57

I take two x 30/500 Co Codamol at bedtime along with Ibuprofen for arthritis pain. It allows me about 4 hours sleep, so not terribly effective for me I'm afraid.

growstuff Tue 01-Dec-20 15:14:26

I've been prescribed 10/500 Co-Dydramol for neuropathy for about three years. They certainly take the edge of the pain. I don't think they're addictive either because I sometimes go weeks without taking them and I haven't noticed any cravings. I've recently been changed to Amitriptyline, so now have to have my heart monitored. I don't think it works any better, so might ask to go back to Co-Dydramol. I'd be reluctant to take a stronger version.

growstuff Tue 01-Dec-20 15:14:55

I'm allergic to Ibuprofen, so can't take it.

HAZBEEN Tue 01-Dec-20 15:18:09

I too take them for my osteoarthritis. The GP prescribed 2 tablets 4 times a day but I rarely take that many. I do however take 2 every morning and 2 at teatime. The odd time I have taken any more they do make me tired. By the way they dont make me constipated!
Be aware that even something like Lemsip contains paracetamol so shouldn't be taken with these. You can take aspirin or ibuprofen at the same time as Co-Codamol, I take aspirin everyday (75mg) anyway.

Daddima Tue 01-Dec-20 15:48:49

CoDydramol is different from CoCodamol, as it contains dihydrocodeine, which is stronger that codeine, and also more addictive. As always,I’d say check with your GP or pharmacist before taking anything. You may find you get enough relief with the lower, over the counter dose, but still best to check.

sodapop Tue 01-Dec-20 17:17:38

Talk to your Dr about this travelasfar and certainly don't take other medication at the same time. I can't take Co-codamol or Tramodol I've tried both and end up in bed for 24 hours afterwards. I do have low blood pressure.

MayBee70 Tue 01-Dec-20 19:10:06

Be really honest with your doctor too. Tell them exactly what you took and how much better you felt: how you were able to do daily tasks so much easier. That way they will also understand how much pain you have been putting up with.

Katek Tue 01-Dec-20 19:51:33

I was given 2 of 30/500mg when I was in the middle of a kidney stone episode......never again! Knocked me for 6, totally spaced out, slept for hours.so if I ever have to take anything now it’s the 8/500mg