Gransnet forums

Health

I think I have just broken a rib!!

(41 Posts)
Luckygirl Mon 11-Jan-21 13:23:17

I was trying to pull a tool from the bottom of my Dyson and there was a ghastly scrunching sound in my chest under my left arm - ouch. I am taking painkillers; and just assuming that there is nothing to be done except wait for it to mend.

Do not buy a Dyson! There is nothing about it that is good. Mine has been sent back twice because of breakages or non-functioning of the dust container opening mechanism. The plastic parts of the machines are very flimsy indeed and often very hard to remove tools to change them.

I am hoping that I will be able to manage to get undressed for bed tonight!

Redhead56 Mon 11-Jan-21 13:27:42

I broke a few ribs years ago there is nothing you can do about it but rest it will be sore for a couple of weeks. Don’t stretch at all keep it rested.

Shinamae Mon 11-Jan-21 13:28:05

I have just bought a Halo cordless vacuum cleaner it has bags butI am absolutely delighted with it having been a fan of Dyson for many years I am glad I have switched ..... and it’s UK made....

Saxifrage Mon 11-Jan-21 13:50:36

Lucky Girl. I damaged my ribs, falling over last year, so very sorry for you. Stock up on pain killers which are essential at night and don't cough or sneeze! It does get better.

Shinamae - Agree with you, I am very pleased with my new Halo Capsule, so much better than previous Dyson and Which? recommended

Marydoll Mon 11-Jan-21 14:23:22

Lucky, I cracked two ribs just before my wedding, Wow it was painful!
If you have any trouble breathing, get help ASAP.
I hope you the pain eases soon.

Luckygirl Mon 11-Jan-21 15:28:50

I imagine that cracked ribs might have spoiled the wedding night fun!! grin

AGAA4 Mon 11-Jan-21 15:31:51

Cracked ribs are very painful. I had to take painkillers before I tried to get out of bed as they were so sore.

Lucca Mon 11-Jan-21 15:32:06

Luckygirl

I imagine that cracked ribs might have spoiled the wedding night fun!! grin

Great minds...

By the way partner cracked a rib stumbling onto a lawn after a few too many . Try to avoid laughing it is sore.

Marydoll Mon 11-Jan-21 15:54:44

I ended up in hospital for six weeks after the wedding! There was no wedding night and I couldn't have cared less!!?

Callistemon Mon 11-Jan-21 16:03:08

I'm just getting up over cracked (? broken) ribs.
It is very, very painful.
As I was reluctant to go to A&E, and they do not X-ray ribs and there is no treatment, the only advice is to rest.
As long as you can breathe, apparently!

If you cant, phone the emergency services.

I used an extra pillow, slept on my back, more upright if you can. Take paracetamol or ibuprofen and I took calcium/magnesium/ vitamin D tablets too.

Yes, do try not to sneeze.

At least you can laugh about it now, Marydoll!

dustyangel Mon 11-Jan-21 16:04:58

GP insisted that I had tests for osteoporosis recently after a back X-ray flagged up a cracked rib. Thankfully haven’t got it and I eventually remembered that an outside metal door had got caught by the wind and crashed into my side. Yes it did hurt but I was in pain from a back condition so just took it for granted that it was part of that.

mumofmadboys Mon 11-Jan-21 16:25:41

Sorry to hear this Luckygirl. If you have fractured a rib it will be painful for six weeks before the pain settles. Take pain killers and try and breathe as deeply as you can to try and prevent chest infections.

Elizabeth1 Mon 11-Jan-21 16:47:58

My ds lifted her bed one day recently she felt a pop in her chest the paramedics thought she had fractured a couple of ribs but her doctor thought it was a ruptured tendon extra strong painkillers did the job the only thing getting lifted now us a glass of Prosecco. Let that be a lesson to all, people of a certain age shouldn’t be lifting heavy things

Luckygirl Mon 11-Jan-21 17:22:11

Thanks for all advice. I have known osteoporosis under treatment and it is not the first time a rib has cracked/broken.

Such a silly way to do it - shall I sue Dyson?smile

Jane43 Thu 14-Jan-21 13:06:27

I have to agree, we found our cordless Dyson a nightmare to empty, it was very difficult to fit and remove attachments and the filter was always having to be removed and cleaned. I can see how you might have cracked a rib trying to remove a tool. I hope you recover soon. We just replaced our Dyson with a Bissell, emptying it is so simple and we like the three levels of power and the lights which help when you are cleaning. The only downside was there weren’t many attachments but I bought a small GTech with many attachments in a recent sale when it was half price. I got both for the price of a new Dyson.

Alexa Thu 14-Jan-21 14:50:48

If yu live with someone at home they can help you to sit up from a lying down position if they position their hand at the back of your head. Not your neck, the back of your skull.
Then they raise their hand under your head and you can relax and not hurt .

Luckygirl Thu 14-Jan-21 15:06:19

Thank you for advice and messages. The pain is right up at the top of my rib cage, under my arm. I am not having trouble breathing - I presume that this is because of where it is situated. In the main I am managing OK - it is not too uncomfortable during the day and |I am able to get jumpers on and off. But the nighttime is not good - difficult to turn over. I only got 4 hours sleep last night.

Unfortunately, owing to other medical problems, I cannot take codeine or anti-inflammatories. So paracetamol is my only resource. I guess I just have to bide my time.

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 15:33:19

I did sleep propped up with an extra pillow the other way round, Luckygirl.
It's taken about 6 weeks to feel a lot better and I feel as if they are more secure now.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 16:12:58

I have health anxiety so a cracked rib would have me worrying about a punctured lung. Sorry. That’s my mind & how it goes. Not helpful to you (or me). As others have said, gentle deep breathing while it heals. And regular pain relief, keep it topped up.

Hope you are feeling better soon & thanks for the tip about the Dyson!

Callistemon Thu 14-Jan-21 16:17:43

Yes, my mind did go that way as my DN slipped and fell, broke ribs and had a punctured lung.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 14-Jan-21 17:03:28

I fell off my bike and cracked a rib, yes it was painful and took about 6 weeks to heal. I went to A&E and had an x ray to see if I had done any other damage as I was finding I was short of breath. But I got the all clear. The pain does get easier but I was told not to lift or carry anything heavy until it had healed.

Urmstongran Thu 14-Jan-21 17:17:24

Not just me then Calli.
?

Bathsheba Thu 14-Jan-21 17:21:44

That's not good Luckygirl. Like others I have had cracked ribs and the pain is excruciating. Nothing to be done but rest and gentle deep breathing. I do hope you get a better night's sleep tonight, I remember how particularly difficult it was moving in bed, getting out of bed etc. Take care flowers

Llamedos13 Sat 16-Jan-21 03:50:13

My sister and brother in law came to visit us here in Ontario one summer. They were getting ready to leave for the airport with the usual hugs and kisses prior to leaving. My brother in law got me in a bear hug and lifted me off the ground cracking a rib in the process! I actually heard it crack, took quite a few weeks to recover! Poor guy felt terrible.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 05:01:09

My ex held me down and tickled me.
He was reciting "walk around the garden, like a teddy bear...
.."
When he got to the "tickly under there" part, he pulled both my arms up above my head, and we heard a really loud POP, before I fell on the floor, struggling to breathe because the pain was so intense.

I still get problems if I laugh a lot (luckily this is a rare occurrence these days) or slouch on the sofa (not so rare)