Gransnet forums

Health

Teenage GD

(9 Posts)
Gingster Sat 16-Jan-21 20:04:42

My 14 yr old GD has suddenly become all consumed with her health. She has endometriosis, so has a lot of pain each month. The docs put her on the pill for 3 months and consequently has been painfree but now she has stopped taking that under docs orders. She is now terrified that the pain will return. She now has painful shoulders and pains in her chest, all of which I think is tension. She has been sick a few times and just generally feels very down . Her parents have taken her to a private hospital and gad her checked out. All seems fine.
I try to reassure the family that it’s a funny age, no school, pandemic. She is a bright, popular girl with lots of friends but of course can’t be with them at the moment.
Her mum had breast cancer 2 years ago and is now clear, but she remains anxious about her health and I think this has rubbed off on her daughter. All this adds up to worry and stress.
I have suggested meditation, breathing excercise etc but don’t know what else to say

Luckygirl Sat 16-Jan-21 20:07:19

My teenage GD is on the pill for similar reasons - there is no reason why they should take her off it. I would be anxious if I had untreated endometriosis and had to face that degree of pain for a quarter of my life.

paddyanne Sat 16-Jan-21 20:11:13

I'd get her to the GP and tell him she needs to go back on the pill,if that helps with pain and tension then its doing a good job.She might be able to relax and cope with a normal 14 year olds worries .Theres no reason why she should come off it .

vampirequeen Sat 16-Jan-21 20:12:17

DD2 was put on the pill for the same reasons and didn't come off it either.

vampirequeen Sat 16-Jan-21 20:16:29

Have a look at these websites

www.kooth.com/

youth-in-mind.org/

Lots of health authorities have bought into them and your GD might find them useful.

SueDonim Sat 16-Jan-21 20:47:20

If the poor girl has endometriosis, then she clearly isn’t fine. She needs better treatment and I hope she gets it. flowers

Grandmabatty Sat 16-Jan-21 21:09:07

My daughter had horrific pains at 14 and was minutes away from surgery for appendicitis when they decided that it was very bad period pains. She was on the pill to regulate it and although she still had cramps,they were manageable. I'm surprised her doctor took her off the pill. Is she saying that or do you know for sure? She definitely needs something to help as it's so debilitating.

Ashcombe Sat 16-Jan-21 21:19:39

What a worry this must be for you all. Is it possible that her doctor has advised against taking the pill long term because her mother has had breast cancer? It might be thought that continuing to take it would increase her risk.

Gingster Sun 17-Jan-21 08:08:25

Thanks for your comments. Yes she does need to see the GP again but it’s so difficult in these present covid times, getting an appointment and getting the right treatment,. That’s the reason they took her to a private consultant. We’ll see how the next month plays out and take it from there and if necessary ask for her to be put back on the pill.