Gransnet forums

Health

Dentist not wearing PPE

(12 Posts)
kangaroo73 Tue 19-Jan-21 16:42:12

I’ve just been to the dentist about a broken tooth and, although the surgery was clean and precautions are taken when you enter the waiting room, I was surprised that the dentist who treated me was simply wearing a normal mask and nothing else. Now I’m paranoid about possible repercussions. Surely dentists should be extra vigilant bearing mind the close proximity. Like an idiot I didn’t question this but have been dwelling on it ever since.

Hithere Tue 19-Jan-21 16:47:36

Here in hospitals, if you are negative
- inpatient or outpatient - they wear a mask and gloves.
Some may wear glasses but not all.

Isn't a mask and gloves ppe?

Hithere Tue 19-Jan-21 16:54:52

Aren't gloves and mask, sorry

kangaroo73 Tue 19-Jan-21 16:56:46

Maybe I’m mistaken then. I assumed PPE was mask, gloves, goggles and those Perspex type shields. She had a mask on but just a normal one

Oopsadaisy1 Tue 19-Jan-21 17:02:19

I would think that the dentist would want a face mask, all of that water and spray flying around.
How odd

Puzzler61 Tue 19-Jan-21 17:03:27

So did mine. Mask and gloves. I think it is all that’s required.

Puzzler61 Tue 19-Jan-21 17:06:26

It’s not so much a spray Oops it’s more of a trickle, less power, so there is less chance of droplets coming out of mouths. (I think the technical term is aerosols).

avitorl Tue 19-Jan-21 17:47:52

I also went to a Dentist because of a broken tooth and she was wearing face mask and gloves. She put in a temporary filling.
When I asked why she couldn't do a permanent one she said only Dentist who had full PPE training could do tooth drilling.
I have an appointment at the end of this month for another Dentist to do a permanent fix.

annodomini Tue 19-Jan-21 19:41:31

When I visited my dentist for an intrusive procedure, he was wearing the full kit, but when I just needed a check up, a mask and gloves were sufficient though the surgery had been thoroughly cleaned and I had to wait outside instead of in the waiting room, then sanitize my hands and have my temperature taken. All other staff had masks and gloves as well.

Callistemon Tue 19-Jan-21 21:24:49

I was surprised that the dentist who treated me was simply wearing a normal mask and nothing else.

shock

Chewbacca Tue 19-Jan-21 21:35:08

I was surprised that the dentist who treated me was simply wearing a normal mask and nothing else. Wish my dentist had been wearing a mask and nothing else when I went to see him in November Callistemon, I've fancied him for years! blush

Teacheranne Tue 19-Jan-21 23:05:22

I went for a check up last week and my dentist wore a mask and a visor, I thought that was a requirement. As I walked into the room, I also saw the dental nurse finishing off wiping down the chair which was very reassuring.