Gransnet forums

Health

Torticollis anyone?

(18 Posts)
bikergran Tue 26-Jan-21 17:11:37

I've had lot of pain neck/shoulder/back shoulder blade etc etc . for over 5/6 months now.

Couldn't move head to side or look up down, when I yawned it hurt back of my neck.

I did google "neck pain" (I know we shouldn't) and came up with this Torticollis.

Been docs today and she diagnosed the same, I knew I should have been a doctor. smile

Its taken me almost 6 months to make an appointment as didn't want to wasting any ones time.

vampirequeen Tue 26-Jan-21 17:26:12

Sounds awful, bikergran. Has the GP suggested any treatment?

bikergran Tue 26-Jan-21 17:35:06

Paracetamol , keep moving, do excersises. I had never heard of it. Thing is I'm never still anyway, redecorating gs bedroom at the mo.

Strange thing is it start when I bought my new mattress!

I went from softish single bed/mattress back to a firm double bed/mattress.

So I have blamed it on that, maybe I twisted my neck I have no idea.

It is very similar to Whiplash.

I have to sit up with good posture (no no hunching over laptop on GN) hmm

EllanVannin Tue 26-Jan-21 17:37:39

It sounds like something that goes with a plate of chips grin
A Mexican dish.

bikergran Tue 26-Jan-21 18:03:01

lol yes EllanVannin I agree, tortillas and sour cream...yum.

Jane10 Tue 26-Jan-21 18:40:26

Sorry to hear it. Sounds like mattress change could have triggered it. Hope you feel better soon.

Lucca Tue 26-Jan-21 18:55:31

My grandson had this as a baby. Parents had to lot of exercises which he didn’t like at all?

harrigran Thu 28-Jan-21 10:44:58

My understanding is that Torticollis is a congenital deformity rarely seen these days. We used to have a few on the operation list when I worked at a children's hospital in the 60s.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 28-Jan-21 11:01:39

EllanVannin I'm afraid my first thoughts were the same as yours!!

Maybe bikergran you need to look at your pillow? The support from your pillow will have changed possibly with a new mattress?

BigBertha1 Thu 28-Jan-21 11:29:29

Torticollis was the original diagnosis by my GP of my neck pain but further examinations and failure of exercises and physio to relive it resulted in a diagnosis of degenerated facet joints by the rheumatologist. Apart from managing the pain there is no cure she said. I am sorry for your pain it can be quite awful . I do find a heat pad can help when its really bad.

bikergran Thu 28-Jan-21 17:59:33

Thanks all, yes will try the heat pad, must say some days it seems to have eased, I am decorating at the mo so hopefully that is my exercise we shall see.

Excersise seems to be the key, no wearing a collar .

Jaxjacky Thu 28-Jan-21 18:35:54

I assume you are doing the advised exercises as well as decorating.

bikergran Thu 28-Jan-21 18:38:33

lol yes of course smile and going to work .. I hate sitting still. smile

Sparklefizz Thu 28-Jan-21 18:52:21

I already have a whiplash injury so my neck is "delicate", and I ended up with Torticollis (also known as Wry Neck) after lying on a treatment couch on my front with my neck turned to one side - fine for people with "normal" necks but not for me.

Before Covid I used to see a a cranial osteopath every so often, and she diagnosed this and treated me, and it improved immediately. I would recommend seeing a cranial osteopath if you can. One treatment might be enough, although as you've had it a long time, you might need 2 treatments.

bikergran Fri 29-Jan-21 20:41:41

Thanks for the info {Sparkle] smile

Sparklefizz Fri 29-Jan-21 20:49:42

My pleasure bikergran. I hope you soon get rid of the pain. It's miserable, I know. flowers

Sarnia Sat 30-Jan-21 09:48:04

Torticollis started with me during the first lockdown. At first I put it down to my head being in one position for too long eg. reading, writing letters and jigsaw puzzles. I had severe whiplash from being in a train crash many years ago and wondered if it might be linked to that. Very painful to begin with and I took paracetamol which eased it to some extent. After lockdown 1 I rang my GP who diagnosed Torticollis. There is no treatment given from the GP. She told me to exercise my neck and shoulder muscles, not to have too many pillows and take painkillers when necessary. Now my neck is just stiff rather than painful. Hope you feel better soon.

bikergran Sat 30-Jan-21 14:08:51

Thanks all..I have been decorating quite a lot this last few weeks , rollering the walls etc etc . So I have kept moving. It does seem to be easing just slightly.

It's worse when in bed, I try and tuck a pillow under my neck and take Ibroprofen and paracetamol at night times, which seems to help. smile