Gransnet forums

Health

Jaw surgery for TMJ problems

(11 Posts)
Notreadyforthis Tue 26-Jan-21 17:49:40

Has anyone had jaw surgery for bad TMJ problems? Mine has gone on for many years and the pain is now really getting to me. Five years ago a maxillofacial consultant told me that I have osteoarthritis in my jaw.

My x-rays show significant bone loss and the meniscus has disappeared on one side. The dentist was socked at what he saw and said I may well need surgery and that I'm a complex case. A few months ago he referred me back to hospital but, not surprisingly, there is a massive backlog and they reckon it could take a year or more before I'm even seen in outpatients. Meanwhile, I'm using a night guard (even though I don't grind my teeth) and am following the general advice given.

I shall consider going privately but before I explore that route, has anyone got experience of any type of surgery for this sort of problem? Was it successful and do you think it was worth it?

Thank you in advance for your comments and advice!

Tangerine Tue 26-Jan-21 18:53:51

This sounds awful. I am sorry but I have no experience of this so can't offer any advice.

I do hope other Gransnetters can help.

Notreadyforthis Tue 26-Jan-21 18:57:14

Thank you, Tangerine. It's not much fun ... and I don't have a great success rate with the NHS over the years ... but at least it's not life-threatening.

Sparklefizz Tue 26-Jan-21 19:35:16

Please think very carefully about this. I am in an online Arthritis Group and one of the members had this done and it was a truly awful experience, and now a year later, during which she has hardly been able to open her mouth to eat, it has got to be done again!!!

I would suggest joining a closed Facebook Group for TMJ or Arthritis, and asking for advice from people who understand it well.

Notreadyforthis Tue 26-Jan-21 19:39:11

That's a good idea, Sparklefizz - I'll do that.

I'm aware that any surgery can go horribly wrong and it would be devastating if it did so with such a crucial joint. This is why I'm mulling things over and seeking advice from wise women.

crazyH Tue 26-Jan-21 19:51:21

Notreadyforthis - I think I have the same as you- undiagnosed, but similar symptoms as you had - on my right side - I manage - it hurts slightly when I open my mouth wide - I think it started after I had a filling in my right bottom tooth. I’m sure I’m wrong. It’s probably arthritis. I will talk to my dentist at my next appointment.

Notreadyforthis Tue 26-Jan-21 19:55:50

crazyH - I strongly advise you to get your dentist to look (and listen) carefully. I have dreadful crepitus and wish I'd made my dentist and doctor pay more attention years ago ... maybe the bone degeneration could have been prevented. It's now got to the stage that other muscles in my face/head are affected and I never, ever wake up refreshed and often have a headache that lasts all morning.

PaperMonster Wed 27-Jan-21 11:20:19

I haven’t had jaw surgery for this, but I have had surgery to break my jaw and reset it. It was an interesting and uncomfortable experience! I had to have one side done again a couple of months after the first surgery and this one left me with permanent nerve damage on one side of my face and I had an uncomfortable exercise to do to stretch my jaw. Six months after I had to wear a local anaesthetic patch for 12 hours a day - TMJ was suspected at this point. I didn’t eat properly for about a year, lost a lot of weight and it adversely affected my blood sugar levels and now I have Diabetes.

Notreadyforthis Wed 27-Jan-21 13:32:20

Oh good grief, PaperMonster! That sounds absolutely dreadful - I'm so sorry to read what you've been through and the situation you've been left in. I sincerely hope life improves for you.

I am most definitely taking these comments on board!

Sparklefizz Wed 27-Jan-21 16:49:18

So sorry to hear what you've gone through PaperMonster. My very best wishes to you for some improvements soon. flowers

PaperMonster Wed 27-Jan-21 19:19:20

Oh heck, thanks ladies! It does sound worse than what it is - five years ago now since I had it done! It’s the best thing I’ve done and if I hadn’t done it, I’d not be able to eat solid food by now! I’m not even aware of the nerve damage unless I talk about it!! It feels like anaesthetic wearing off when you’ve been to the dentist! The Diabetes can happily bugger off though, although I’m now quite used to eating low carb!!